Should I even go to Law School?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kevin261186

Should I even go to Law School?

Postby kevin261186 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:56 pm

So I am an international person (23), living in the USA and have been accepted to a decent school and waitlisted at a regionally domniant t-1. I work in a law frim where my attorney could get me off the waitlist in an instant, so what's the problem? She is my girlffirend's mom.

I moved here to be with her, and applied to law school for no real 'reason' other than it seemed like a solid career, I have a useless liberal arts degree, her parents are both successful lawyers with incredible connections and it would allow me to stay in the USA for longer. I love my girlfriend, but am worried that going to LS is not the right path for me and that it would make me miserable, making my relationship fail and leaving me in the with a bunch of debt, no connections and no visa upon graduation.

The pragmatist in me says, go to LS and get a good job with the connections you have. My heart says I'm too young to make such a long term commitment to living in teh states as the law degree is non-transferrable, and it would take years to pay back loans. I have a bunch of offers for graduate school back home (mainly in business), which would require only one year, virtually no debt, but would put me back at home. I am not sure if it's just nostalgia, but I do miss my family and friends, and hate the thought of failing back home and regretting not taking this chance while I had it.

So I turn to you TLSers, (as strangers) for unbiased advice, seeing as my parents are useless and I only get biased opinions from my gf and her family.

lawyering

Re: Should I even go to Law School?

Postby lawyering » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:58 pm

This sounds like a terrible reason to go to law school. Why don't you look into one-year master's programs in the US or something like that? Something a little more portable. Or an international MBA.

Captain Jack

Postby Captain Jack » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Without rambling too much, I say that one should NEVER follow through on something that he or she does not have his or her heart set on. If law school doesn't seem like the right thing for you, then don't do it. It's as simple as that.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:04 pm

Is she hot? If so Marry+Go to law school =win

Is she not, sounds like her parents have $$$, if so

Marry+Go to law school =win

Can her parents get you a position after law school, sounds like they can!

Marry+Go to law school = win

I think I've made my point.

Most people here would give their right eye for having the connections that you now have. I'd say you're better set than 99% of the posters on this site.

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Interesting you should mention the right eye thing...I'm blind in my right eye, I even wrote a diversity statement about it. What are the chances?

I could definitely get a job after LS with the connections I have, throw into the mix that my gf's mother told me not to worry about taking out loans for the tuition, I would just have to pay her back at a later date... This, however, just heaps the pressure on me to get married.

Your points sum up my pragmatic thoughts perfectly.

ricking1288

Postby ricking1288 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:15 pm

lostjake wrote:Is she hot? If so Marry+Go to law school =win

Is she not, sounds like her parents have $$$, if so

Marry+Go to law school =win

Can her parents get you a position after law school, sounds like they can!

Marry+Go to law school = win

I think I've made my point.

Most people here would give their right eye for having the connections that you now have. I'd say you're better set than 99% of the posters on this site.

+1.....bro do it man. I would love to have a sugar momma with a sugar momma's momma paying for my tuition.

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:27 pm

what if I find that I'm not dedicated, finish really low in the class and no amount of connections will get me a job?

I realise that this would be a no brainer for a lot of people, especially as I'm from a poor family, but there's just something stopping me from going for it and living happily ever after...

RayFinkle

Postby RayFinkle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:44 pm

I say post a pic of the girlfriend and we can give you more sound advice. :wink:

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:01 pm

RayFinkle wrote:I say post a pic of the girlfriend and we can give you more sound advice. :wink:

+ 1

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:06 pm

nice try. She's cute though.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:09 pm

If it were me don't go to law school. You're young. Give yourself more time to know what you really want.

RayFinkle

Postby RayFinkle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

If it were me (and this is just me talkin') I would allow myself to get forced into a situation I am obviously not ready for and assure myself by asking a group of mostly guys that only care about money/their lack of sex. Not saying TLS specifically, but large law school forums... I'd rely on their unbiased expertise.

apollo13

Postby apollo13 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:13 pm

it sounds like you are a Little Puss Puss.
You are having second thoughts of going to law school because you are afraid you are going to lose your gf? or you will feel separated from your families and your significant others??
Dude, you are a 23 year old, a supposed young adult... you got some growing up to do kid...
Might as well move into your girlfriends house and live with them, and live happily and ever after...

go to law school, learn, and enjoy life kid.

RayFinkle

Postby RayFinkle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:16 pm

apollo13 wrote:it sounds like you are a Little Puss Puss.
You are having second thoughts of going to law school because you are afraid you are going to lose your gf? or you will feel separated from your families and your significant others??
Dude, you are a 23 year old, a supposed young adult... you got some growing up to do kid...
Might as well move into your girlfriends house and live with them, and live happily and ever after...

Most retarded advice EVAR!

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:18 pm

This isn't what his post is saying. Law school will let him stay in the country and his girl friend's family will get into a good school.

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:25 pm

No, I'm afraid of going to LS because it's my only way of staying in teh country legally, which is an awful reason to go. My current visa expires at the end of September and I would need to renew it, or go home. This is aproblem that most TLSers need not worry about, but I'm trying to go to school here, so it's my problem.

I already live with my gf, in our own apartment. Your post has some good advice in there, but I think you missed the main point of my OP.

OnWisconsin

Postby OnWisconsin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:36 pm

They took er' jeeeeeebbss!

He's foreign taking a seat, a hot girl, and potentially lucrative legal position upon graduation.

Where is the manditory TLS xenophobic comment?

For shame posters.

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:42 pm

OnWisconsin wrote:They took er' jeeeeeebbss!

He's foreign taking a seat, a hot girl, and potentially lucrative legal position upon graduation.

Where is the manditory TLS xenophobic comment?

For shame posters.

Haha! Love it!

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:01 pm

Life can't be about green cards, visas and gfs.

I am going to law school in the U.S. with no visa or gf with connections. You can always go back home and be counsel to any corporation that does business with America or work for an international law firm. you would probably earn more than the local attorneys anyways.

soullogical

Postby soullogical » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:10 pm

A picture would be helpful...

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:14 pm

Don't do it.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Anyone who uses the term "kid" this much sounds like they're 13 trying to act 40.

birD

Postby birD » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm with this person, grow up and go to law school. Life isn't some crazy movie where everyone lives happily ever after. If you love your gf and she seems like someone you might be able to stand for the rest of your life do it. Everyone wishes they could relive their youth but you have to grow up at some point. You will have a wife and a secure financial future, having a law degree gives you many options so I'm sure you can mold it into something you are passionate about. Many people would kill for a wife and a job in the bag, grow some balls.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:25 pm

birD wrote:

I'm with this person, grow up and go to law school. Life isn't some crazy movie where everyone lives happily ever after. If you love your gf and she seems like someone you might be able to stand for the rest of your life do it. Everyone wishes they could relive their youth but you have to grow up at some point. You will have a wife and a secure financial future, having a law degree gives you many options so I'm sure you can mold it into something you are passionate about. Many people would kill for a wife and a job in the bag, grow some balls.

This is horrible advice. Law school doesn't equal growing up, especially when you're essentially doing it to please your gf and her parents. Finding your own path in life is growing up. Law school is a huge fail if you don't want to be there.

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanks for the advice. The last two posts have hit on the exact dilemma I have in my own mind. The safe option of going to LS 'with a wife and job in the bag', or do my own thing and gamble on something else.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”