Should I let my BF determine where I go to law school?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

OSU
74%
Case (BF)
26%

Total votes: 87

ausoccer19

Re: Should I let my BF determine where I go to law school?

Postby ausoccer19 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:48 am

just fyi, long-distance can work (and I wouldn't even consider Cleveland to Columbus long distance). I'm getting married in May, been with my fiance 5 years, 4 of which I was at UG in Ohio and she was at BU. It's hard but by no means impossible. That said, I'd go to OSU

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:10 pm

hm i kinda think this is a tough decision

1.5 yrs isnt that long...2 hrs isnt that far

yet at the same time, OSU is what, in the 30's and Case in the 50's? that is an okay diff but not really a super game changer ITE i bet...OP hates Cleveland too lol...but bf may become doctor (though i think thats a bit too far down the line to consider)

pros and cons all around

Nat1018

Postby Nat1018 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:12 pm

Wow..those were all such sad stories.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:24 pm

Nat1018 wrote:Lol...thanks...

In all seriousness, I got what the majority of you guys were saying ..stay at Case, however; the first few posts were about trying to maintain a long distance relationship and I have to factor in the chances that I stay in Cleveland with my bf and then we break up, which woud just leave me at a T2 in a shitty city. Have you guys ever been to Cleveland?

hahaha this is awesome. I have a strong bias, having lived in Cleveland and numerous other (better) cities as well. Whenever anyone has the chance to leave Cleveland I recommend they take it.... Except for LeBron, he should stay because NE Ohio's economy would crumble without him.

From what I hear, QOL in Columbus is pretty good, and Case Law grads are having a hell of a time getting jobs, even in Cleveland.

Nat1018

Postby Nat1018 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:26 pm

ughOSU wrote:
Nat1018 wrote:Lol...thanks...

In all seriousness, I got what the majority of you guys were saying ..stay at Case, however; the first few posts were about trying to maintain a long distance relationship and I have to factor in the chances that I stay in Cleveland with my bf and then we break up, which woud just leave me at a T2 in a shitty city. Have you guys ever been to Cleveland?

hahaha this is awesome. I have a strong bias, having lived in Cleveland and numerous other (better) cities as well. Whenever anyone has the chance to leave Cleveland I recommend they take it.... Except for LeBron, he should stay because NE Ohio's economy would crumble without him.

From what I hear, QOL in Columbus is pretty good, and Case Law grads are having a hell of a time getting jobs, even in Cleveland.

Where have you heard this about Case law grads having such a hard time?

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:28 pm

wow...you guys are brutal. I am in a 2 1/2 year relationship and I am in a very similar situation. I care about my boyfriend, but we are in our early 20s (he is even a year younger than me!) and I am by no means ready to settle down. Yes he is amazing, I love being with him, but I am quite realistic (as opposed to "cold, calculating") that this might not be FOREVER. I am planning on attending law school in our state, but desperately hoping to get off of uga's waitlist -- which would put us 15 driving hours apart. UConn, where I have put my deposit down is in the 50s, uga is in the 30s most of the time. So very similar spread.

Will it be hard to leave him? Yes. Are we going to try long distance? Of course. But I know I want to be in the mid-atlantic region and I know a degree from UGa will help me with that - much stronger alumni base. I can completely relate with the OP and I understand her dilemma. I think this is the time to make the best decision for yourself, whatever that may be. If it is staying near your significant other because that relationship is going to go the distance, than go for it. If it is pursuing the better options you might find at OSU, then do that.

Don't let anyone question your heart.

OnWisconsin

Postby OnWisconsin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:33 pm

Nat1018 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
khanvalescent wrote:
Nat1018 wrote:Thanks for everyone's advice. I have a lot to consider and you guys were helpful in talking me into givng long distance a chance.

I'm guessing that your reading comprehension skills aren't the best? Are you more of an oral learner?

Why do you think she's deciding between Case and OSU?

Lol...thanks...

In all seriousness, I got what the majority of you guys were saying ..stay at Case, however; the first few posts were about trying to maintain a long distance relationship and I have to factor in the chances that I stay in Cleveland with my bf and then we break up, which woud just leave me at a T2 in a shitty [strike]city[/strike] STATE. Have you guys ever been to [strike]Cleveland[/strike] OHIO?

Fixed.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:39 pm

Just because you break up/take a break for a while due to the distance doesn't mean you won't get back together if that is what is supposed to happen. I had only been dating my girlfriend for a year and then we tried long distance and broke up. A year later we got back together (summer vacation) and decided that the year we were broken up was miserable for both of us. We've been doing long distance for 3 years now with no major issues. That being said undergrad is just about over and we won't be long distance as of june. Having that light at the end of the tunnel is crucial that and having summer and winter vacation together is important too. Anyway 2 1/2 hours is not that long and if you guys can't handle that then maybe you aren't the best match or whatever.

Good luck with your decision!

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:39 pm

insertclevernamehere wrote:Don't let anyone question your heart.

Thank you for this. I am absolutely including this line somewhere in my Con Law exam. I think my professor will really dig it. Perhaps Crim, as well (DHM, obvi).

But in response to OP: If your boyfriend is offended that you want to go to a significantly better school that is 2 (or even 20) hours away from where he lives (as quickquestion suggested he would be), I think you guys have bigger issues. He should be happy that you got into a school you wanted to end up at and be happy wherever you decide. Sure it is more difficult doing distance, but these three years are pretty damn important for the remainder of your career. On the other hand, I have a clearly biased distaste for OSU. Choose accordingly.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:49 pm

You need to discuss this with your boyfriend. Ask him what he thinks, where he sees your relationship going (and tell him where you see it going). It might seem "heavy" to discuss but you can't base decisions around an SO without discussing it with them. If he says he's not sure that there's a future for you, I think OSU is the obvious choice. But if you both can see yourselves making it together long-term then I think the difference between Case and OSU is negligible enough that you probably wouldn't be shooting yourself in the foot to take Case w/ $ over OSU.

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:54 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:

Thank you for this. I am absolutely including this line somewhere in my Con Law exam. I think my professor will really dig it. Perhaps Crim, as well (DHM, obvi).

Can't figure out if you are mocking me, internet tone determination fail.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:56 pm

insertclevernamehere wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Can't figure out if you are mocking me, reading comprehension fail.

Tone's got nothin' to do with that one, my friend.

AliceB

Postby AliceB » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:01 pm

It's just not worth it to choose a school based on a significant other who may or may not be there when you finish. If you want to make it work, it'll work. You don't have to live in the same state to have a successful relationship.

Nat1018

Postby Nat1018 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:07 pm

insertclevernamehere wrote:wow...you guys are brutal. I am in a 2 1/2 year relationship and I am in a very similar situation. I care about my boyfriend, but we are in our early 20s (he is even a year younger than me!) and I am by no means ready to settle down. Yes he is amazing, I love being with him, but I am quite realistic (as opposed to "cold, calculating") that this might not be FOREVER. I am planning on attending law school in our state, but desperately hoping to get off of uga's waitlist -- which would put us 15 driving hours apart. UConn, where I have put my deposit down is in the 50s, uga is in the 30s most of the time. So very similar spread.

Will it be hard to leave him? Yes. Are we going to try long distance? Of course. But I know I want to be in the mid-atlantic region and I know a degree from UGa will help me with that - much stronger alumni base. I can completely relate with the OP and I understand her dilemma. I think this is the time to make the best decision for yourself, whatever that may be. If it is staying near your significant other because that relationship is going to go the distance, than go for it. If it is pursuing the better options you might find at OSU, then do that.

Don't let anyone question your heart.

Thanks for your post! This was how I was originally feeling...that I should make the best decision for myself and my career right now especially since we haven't been together for the longest time. In your situation it seems like UGA woud be the best option for your career if you want to end up in the mid-atlantic and I wish you the best of luck with your relationship and school!! In my case, I just don't know if OSU is significantly that much better than Case to potentially lose my bf and that's what I've been wrestling with. I know everyone says to try long distance and 2 1/2 hrs isn't that far away, but realistically, when we're both busy, 2 1/2 hrs turns into a LONG drive.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:11 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:

I agree with your overall point, I was just joking about the emotional fervor of that last sentence.

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:14 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:

I agree with your overall point, I was just joking about the emotional fervor of that last sentence.

Haha, completely understand. In reviewing that post I have to admit OP may or may not have hit a nerve, people in my life have been constantly questioning why I would want to go to school so far away, and it annoys me – also I tend to be super dramatic.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:17 pm

Nat1018 wrote:I know there's a ton of threads about choosing schools already, so I'll try to make this quick. Here's the situation:

I can't decide between OSU and Case. My boyfriend got an internship he can't turn down at a hospital in Cleveland and choosing Case would mean that we can stay together (I'm against the idea of long distance even if it is only 2 1/2 hrs away). However, OSU is higher ranked, has a better faculty, and I'm interested in ADR which is one of their strong suits, but we would probably break up. We've only been together for about 1 1/2 years and I don't know if I'm thinking about marriage anytime soon.

Case gave me more money and would be cheaper than OSU, but I'm worried about job prospects out of state in the long run. Is OSU really that much better of a school than Case to throw a relationship away for?

Statistically, Case places slightly better outside of the state of Ohio than OSU does. Just sayin'.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:19 pm

The premise of this thread - someone soliciting advice from anonymous internet personas on whether to continue a relationship based on a brief overview - is retarded.

/thread. Mods, please lock.
Last edited by T14_Scholly on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:21 pm

Go to Moritz. 2.5 hours is honestly nothing. If your relationship can't last a 2.5-hour distance, it wasn't meant to be. You won't regret going to the better school for you. You will regret moving closer to a guy for a relationship that wasn't meant to be. I know from experience. :wink:

Nat1018

Postby Nat1018 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:22 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:The premise of this thread - someone soliciting advice from anonymous internet personas on whether to continue a relationship based on a brief overview - is retarded.

/thread

You guys have been helpful in throwing various ideas/suggestions out there...and that's all I originally intended this to be for.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:24 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:30 pm

beesknees wrote:Definitely don't choose your school solely based on being closer to your SO. I did for my UG and then broke up with him one semester of freshmen year lol. (It isn't as big deal as with LS, because where you go to UG doesn't really have a lot of potential to make or your employment prospects).

That being said, the difference between OSU and Case won't be huge in terms of employment prospects (though maybe OSU could carry you somewhat out of Ohio??). This isn't like you're choosing between a T14 and a T30 (in which case, I'd advise the higher ranked school hands down, barring a full ride from the T30). The difference in ranks outside of the top 14 or so schools drops off dramatically. They're both regional schools, though OSU seems like it might be a tad stronger.

So if you were actually in a committed relationship with serious plans for the future, then choosing Case wouldn't be ridiculous at all. But considering you wouldn't even be willing to try it out with a distance of 2 1/2 hours, it doesn't sound like that's the case, so just go to the school that is best for you financially and career-wise.

I will reiterate what I said above - Case places slightly better outside of the state of Ohio than does OSU, though OSU places higher within the state itself. According to the statistics, anyway.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:56 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:Considering every law school above the T30 is exactly the same ( :roll: ), I don't think it really makes a difference.

Why T30? Why not T25 or T23 or T18 or Yale

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:11 pm

scionb4 wrote:
beesknees wrote:Definitely don't choose your school solely based on being closer to your SO. I did for my UG and then broke up with him one semester of freshmen year lol. (It isn't as big deal as with LS, because where you go to UG doesn't really have a lot of potential to make or your employment prospects).

That being said, the difference between OSU and Case won't be huge in terms of employment prospects (though maybe OSU could carry you somewhat out of Ohio??). This isn't like you're choosing between a T14 and a T30 (in which case, I'd advise the higher ranked school hands down, barring a full ride from the T30). The difference in ranks outside of the top 14 or so schools drops off dramatically. They're both regional schools, though OSU seems like it might be a tad stronger.

So if you were actually in a committed relationship with serious plans for the future, then choosing Case wouldn't be ridiculous at all. But considering you wouldn't even be willing to try it out with a distance of 2 1/2 hours, it doesn't sound like that's the case, so just go to the school that is best for you financially and career-wise.

I will reiterate what I said above - Case places slightly better outside of the state of Ohio than does OSU, though OSU places higher within the state itself. According to the statistics, anyway.

Show it please. Please also show the % of students from OOS, so we'll see whether it's self-selection or not.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”