Should I let my BF determine where I go to law school? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

OSU
74%
Case (BF)
26%

Total votes: 87

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Re: Should I let my BF determine where I go to law school?

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:11 am

Nat1018 wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:Considering every law school above the T30 is exactly the same ( :roll: ), I don't think it really makes a difference.
Hmm...that's interesting..definitely something to keep in mind. Case would be cheaper in the long run.
I pity your boyfriend.

Nat1018

Bronze

Post by Nat1018 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:12 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
Nat1018 wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:Considering every law school above the T30 is exactly the same ( :roll: ), I don't think it really makes a difference.
Hmm...that's interesting..definitely something to keep in mind. Case would be cheaper in the long run.
I pity your boyfriend.
Why do you say that?

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:16 am

Nat1018 wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:
Nat1018 wrote:
I pity your boyfriend.
Why do you say that?
it kinda sounds like the money, and not your boyfriend, is the primary factor into your dilemma :(

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:17 am

OP, you seem really calculating and unfeeling. It's like some weird sitcom where there is a doctor and lawyer husband and wife but instead of like the Cosby show it's more like the scene from Mr. and Mrs. Smith where Brad Pitt and Angelina are sitting like a mile away at opposite ends of the table and she is talking about how she was able to buy curtains that some other guy wanted.

*insert faux prestigeous accents*

"Julie, darling, have you noticed the terrible weather we are having?"

After a 5 minute silence.

"No, Charles, actually I haven't.......this cab tastes a little tanic, would you like to try another year?"

15 minutes passes

"Oh, Julie dear, I forgot to tell you, your mother passed away this evening."

Julie: "Oh, that's just dreadful......"

two more minutes

Julie: "Have you decided about that cab then?"

Nat1018

Bronze

Post by Nat1018 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:22 am

A'nold wrote:OP, you seem really calculating and unfeeling. It's like some weird sitcom where there is a doctor and lawyer husband and wife but instead of like the Cosby show it's more like the scene from Mr. and Mrs. Smith where Brad Pitt and Angelina are sitting like a mile away at opposite ends of the table and she is talking about how she was able to buy curtains that some other guy wanted.

"No, Charles, actually I haven't.......this cab tastes a little tanic, would you like to try another year?"

15 minutes passes

two more minutes

How am I calculating and unfeeling?? I love my bf a lot and am seriously considering staying in Cleveland for him...I don't think that's "unfeeling" and for being "calculating," him being a future doctor isn't something that even matters to me. Gettig knocked up was something that was joked around about..nothing I would ever seriously consider. I'm just worried that I'm making the wrong decision for my career and I think thats a legit concern

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:25 am

Case($) vs. OHU is a pretty fair comparison to begin with.

Add the boyfriend, this should be a no-brainer. Yet you're seeking advice from strangers. I would be pretty hurt if my girlfriend of 1.5 years was struggling with this decision.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:26 am

Relationships can dissolve.

The school you got your law degree from can't.

Decide accordingly, end of discussion.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:26 am

Nat1018 wrote:
A'nold wrote:OP, you seem really calculating and unfeeling. It's like some weird sitcom where there is a doctor and lawyer husband and wife but instead of like the Cosby show it's more like the scene from Mr. and Mrs. Smith where Brad Pitt and Angelina are sitting like a mile away at opposite ends of the table and she is talking about how she was able to buy curtains that some other guy wanted.

15 minutes passes

two more minutes

How am I calculating and unfeeling?? I love my bf a lot and am seriously considering staying in Cleveland for him...I don't think that's "unfeeling" and for being "calculating," him being a future doctor isn't something that even matters to me. Gettig knocked up was something that was joked around about..nothing I would ever seriously consider. I'm just worried that I'm making the wrong decision for my career and I think thats a legit concern

I was referring to your OP. You came across as VERY "meh" about the whole thing. You were basically like, "yeah, I think I want to choose OSU and I'll have to break up with my boyfriend, who, btw, I've only been with for like a year and a half, b/c I'd have to drive 2 hours to see him and you know how those long distant relationships can be." You now say that you love him, yet there was absolutely no evidence of that in the OP. It seems like you are very calculating in the way you make decisions and have a very matter of fact attitude about your relationship, at least if you look at what you said in your OP.

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:27 am

What are you planning to do after graduation? I might have just missed it if you already said, but that's something to consider

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:28 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:Case($) vs. OHU is a pretty fair comparison to begin with.

Add the boyfriend, this should be a no-brainer. Yet you're seeking advice from strangers. I would be pretty hurt if my girlfriend of 1.5 years was struggling with this decision.
Agreed, on all accounts.

Nat1018

Bronze

Post by Nat1018 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:37 am

hellokitty wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:Case($) vs. OHU is a pretty fair comparison to begin with.

Agreed, on all accounts.
To me it just doesn't seem like a 1 1/2 year relationship is significantly long enough for one to make a clear decision like that without having to struggle a bit. Relationships aren't forever and to base where I go to school for someone that I haven't been with for THAT long is scary to me.

hellokitty

Bronze

Post by hellokitty » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:40 am

Nat1018 wrote:
hellokitty wrote:

Agreed, on all accounts.
To me it just doesn't seem like a 1 1/2 year relationship is significantly long enough for one to make a clear decision like that without having to struggle a bit. Relationships aren't forever and to base where I go to school for someone that I haven't been with for THAT long is scary to me.
If she were deciding between like Yale and Florida Coastal, I might feel that way. But I'm not sure there's a huge difference between her options, so if she loves him and wants to stay together, I don't really see a problem with using her relationship to decide. That is, as long as she's be relatively happy either way. That's just what I would do given the situation.

Nat1018

Bronze

Post by Nat1018 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:41 am

A'nold wrote:
Nat1018 wrote:

15 minutes passes

two more minutes

I was referring to your OP. You came across as VERY "meh" about the whole thing. You were basically like, "yeah, I think I want to choose OSU and I'll have to break up with my boyfriend, who, btw, I've only been with for like a year and a half, b/c I'd have to drive 2 hours to see him and you know how those long distant relationships can be." You now say that you love him, yet there was absolutely no evidence of that in the OP. It seems like you are very calculating in the way you make decisions and have a very matter of fact attitude about your relationship, at least if you look at what you said in your OP.
My OP may seem a bit emotionless but I'm trying to make this decision with my head and not my heart which I'm hoping is the smart/right thing to do. So it may have sounded like I don't care about him, but I do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nat1018

Bronze

Post by Nat1018 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:45 am

hellokitty wrote:
Nat1018 wrote:
hellokitty wrote:

Agreed, on all accounts.
If she were deciding between like Yale and Florida Coastal, I might feel that way. But I'm not sure there's a huge difference between her options, so if she loves him and wants to stay together, I don't really see a problem with using her relationship to decide. That is, as long as she's be relatively happy either way. That's just what I would do given the situation.

This was actually what I was hoping to hear...that there isn't enough of a difference between the schools in the long run. Thanks Hellokitty!

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:46 am

I'd consider each of these potential outcomes:

(1) You go to OSU, long-distance relationship works
(2) You go to OSU, you break up
(3) You go to Case, you're together and frequently smooch, etc.
(4) You go to Case, you break up

Maybe you could try to attach some sort of rough likelihood that they will happen, along with how happy they'll make you if they do end up being the result of your choice. And then... good luck choosing.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:49 am

Nat1018 wrote:I know there's a ton of threads about choosing schools already, so I'll try to make this quick. Here's the situation:

I can't decide between OSU and Case. My boyfriend got an internship he can't turn down at a hospital in Cleveland and choosing Case would mean that we can stay together (I'm against the idea of long distance even if it is only 2 1/2 hrs away). However, OSU is higher ranked, has a better faculty, and I'm interested in ADR which is one of their strong suits, but we would probably break up. We've only been together for about 1 1/2 years and I don't know if I'm thinking about marriage anytime soon.

Case gave me more money and would be cheaper than OSU, but I'm worried about job prospects out of state in the long run.

Is OSU really that much better of a school than Case to throw a relationship away for?
Felicity! Are you hot? If so, go to OSU and I'll visit you sometime. :wink:

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:54 am

Nat1018 wrote:My OP may seem a bit emotionless but I'm trying to make this decision with my head and not my heart which I'm hoping is the smart/right thing to do. So it may have sounded like I don't care about him, but I do.
Nothing wrong with making decisions from the heart. Life is too short to throw away meaningful relationships.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nat1018

Bronze

Post by Nat1018 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:08 am

Thanks for everyone's advice. I have a lot to consider and you guys were helpful in talking me into givng long distance a chance.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:14 am

Nat1018 wrote:Thanks for everyone's advice. I have a lot to consider and you guys were helpful in talking me into givng long distance a chance.
That's not what we said....

MidlawMyth

New

Post by MidlawMyth » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:18 am

Nat1018 wrote:Thanks for everyone's advice. I have a lot to consider and you guys were helpful in talking me into givng long distance a chance.
fail

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:20 am

What?? That's seriously what you took out of this discussion? :shock: Like I said, I pity your boyfriend.

Long distance relationships suck, you don't opt for one if you can help it, it is a worst case scenario...if your relationship is important enough to maintain long distance, then it's important enough to go a marginally lower ranked school. Otherwise, why bother?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

khanvalescent

New

Post by khanvalescent » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:31 am

I'm guessing that your reading comprehension skills aren't the best? Are you more of an oral learner?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:33 am

khanvalescent wrote:
I'm guessing that your reading comprehension skills aren't the best? Are you more of an oral learner?
Why do you think she's deciding between Case and OSU?

sjg64

New

Post by sjg64 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:39 am

Last edited by sjg64 on Sun May 09, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nat1018

Bronze

Post by Nat1018 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:05 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
khanvalescent wrote:
Why do you think she's deciding between Case and OSU?
Lol...thanks...

In all seriousness, I got what the majority of you guys were saying ..stay at Case, however; the first few posts were about trying to maintain a long distance relationship and I have to factor in the chances that I stay in Cleveland with my bf and then we break up, which woud just leave me at a T2 in a shitty city. Have you guys ever been to Cleveland?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”