By going to U of Minn: Public interest opportunities in NYC?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dreamweaver87

By going to U of Minn: Public interest opportunities in NYC?

Postby dreamweaver87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:04 am

OK, so here's the deal...I got a good scholarship to UMN and wouldn't have any debt coming out of it. I'm looking into public interest or government work and wanted to know, if I'm not looking into corporate law, what are my chances of landing that kind of job on the east coast (NYC, especially)?

Thank you.

ETA: And, yes, I'm aware NYC Is largely more about Biglaw, but I'm just wondering. I have other schools I'd prefer but I don't want to choose my career based on how much debt I have.

dreamweaver87

Re: By going to U of Minn: Public interest opportunities in NYC?

Postby dreamweaver87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:22 am

i know it's an usual question, but does anyone have any ideas?

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:33 am

Do you have specific agencies in mind? Because the Federal Government or national organizations probably aren't going to care as much where you went to school geographically, but more localized organizations would probably be more likely to take an east coast grad than a Minny one.

All hearsay and conjecture of course. What are your other acceptances?

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:44 am

DerrickRose wrote:Do you have specific agencies in mind? Because the Federal Government or national organizations probably aren't going to care as much where you went to school geographically, but more localized organizations would probably be more likely to take an east coast grad than a Minny one.

All hearsay and conjecture of course. What are your other acceptances?

I don't have specific agencies in mind, so that's a plus.

I would also have no debt coming from William & Mary, but I really, really didn't want to be in a small town Virginia environment again (I was at W&L undegrad). I also got in to UConn, UC Davis, Fordham (15k/yr scholarship), and UCLA (5k/yr scholarship...helpful). Waitlisted at Michigan, BU, & Northwestern. UCLA was my first choice and I'd love Fordham, too, because of the NYC location, but I'm pretty terrified of being in debt like that, especially if I don't want to go into Corporate Law.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:01 am

Go to Fordham and use IBR.

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:29 am

JOThompson wrote:Go to Fordham and use IBR.

IBR lasts ten years for PI work, right? You don't think I'd have better opportunities doing the same thing coming from UCLA? I realize it's not in NY, bu, with its prestige, do you think it has enough national mobility to get me into PI in NYC?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:38 am

dreamweaver87 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:Go to Fordham and use IBR.

IBR lasts ten years for PI work, right? You don't think I'd have better opportunities doing the same thing coming from UCLA? I realize it's not in NY, bu, with its prestige, do you think it has enough national mobility to get me into PI in NYC?

Yep, ten years. UCLA is a great school and it'll open up some prestigious PI opportunities. If location isn't a key factor, I'd take UCLA. However, if you want to work in New York, I think Fordham will somewhat outperform UCLA. I just haven't seen much proof that a lower T20 will outperform a well regarded regional school (~30).

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:03 am

I feel like I keep giving this same advice, but: If you are dead set on PI go to the school that will open the most door. CCRAA ensures that you don't have to worry about debt. Since you'll be put on IBR, its what you make that determines the amount of money you have to pay back, not how much you have borrowed. In your case, UMN opens the least amount of doors in NYC out of these three options (though you're not shut out as some would leave you to believe).

Between Fordham and UCLA, I don't know. You sound like you're dead set on NYC which suggests Fordham. Think about the chances you'll have through clinics ect. to build connections and get in to the type of work you want, that going to school in NYC will afford. At UCLA you'll just have to rely on summers which you'll have to work hard just to get an NYC job to begin with.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:00 am

Geist13 wrote:I feel like I keep giving this same advice, but: If you are dead set on PI go to the school that will open the most door.

You're my hero, I've taken that advice to heart and I'm playing the Vandy WL game now.

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:07 pm

Geist13 wrote:I feel like I keep giving this same advice, but: If you are dead set on PI go to the school that will open the most door. CCRAA ensures that you don't have to worry about debt. Since you'll be put on IBR, its what you make that determines the amount of money you have to pay back, not how much you have borrowed. In your case, UMN opens the least amount of doors in NYC out of these three options (though you're not shut out as some would leave you to believe).

Between Fordham and UCLA, I don't know. You sound like you're dead set on NYC which suggests Fordham. Think about the chances you'll have through clinics ect. to build connections and get in to the type of work you want, that going to school in NYC will afford. At UCLA you'll just have to rely on summers which you'll have to work hard just to get an NYC job to begin with.

Thanks a lot for the advice. My problem is that I'm not DEAD SET on PI, but it's definitely one of my top considerations. There is something daunting about having about $90K in debt from UCLA or a little less from Fordham if I end up going into something else. Because, without PI, isn't IBR 25 years? That's a long time to have debt hanging over one's head. Ugh, I'm awful at decision-making.

Informative

Postby Informative » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:03 pm

Do NOT go to Minn if you want to work in NYC. This has been done before and people have not been able to make that leap. Rightly or wrongly, there is a sentiment in NYC regarding the large public schools in the midwest. I don't really agree with it, but it exists. You are going to have a hard time entering the NYC market for any type of job coming from Minnesota, regardless of academic ranking. The only school that this does not hold true for is Michigan, and there are even some that have a slant against Michigan (which I totally don't get). Just a word of caution from a person with a lot of experience in NYC.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:04 pm

PI wages while living in NYC has to be an awful existence.

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:25 pm

Informative wrote:Do NOT go to Minn if you want to work in NYC. This has been done before and people have not been able to make that leap. Rightly or wrongly, there is a sentiment in NYC regarding the large public schools in the midwest. I don't really agree with it, but it exists. You are going to have a hard time entering the NYC market for any type of job coming from Minnesota, regardless of academic ranking. The only school that this does not hold true for is Michigan, and there are even some that have a slant against Michigan (which I totally don't get). Just a word of caution from a person with a lot of experience in NYC.

Boo. :( Thanks for the info, though.

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:PI wages while living in NYC has to be an awful existence.

Informative

Postby Informative » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:01 pm

dreamweaver87 wrote:

This.

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:07 pm

...Well, this was depressing...

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:21 pm

dreamweaver87 wrote:...Well, this was depressing...

You know, you could call UMN and ask them for placement statistics, see how many grads go to NYC, get PI, etc. The numbers might be better than people on the board think. Plus, you have summers.

And my feeling about people who are regionally prejudiced is: if they aren't interested in you because you went to school in the Midwest/South/wherever, do you really want to work for them? Especially when we're talking about public interest work. (I'm inclined to think those folks are a lot more interested in what you're like than where your school is, anyway.)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:29 pm

Minnesota is a nice city. Why not live there after law school?

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Minnesota is a nice city.

LOLWUT

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Minnesota is a nice city. Why not live there after law school?

+1

There are a decent number of PI organizations in the city too. I liked my visit enough that I know would've been happy for three or more years in Minneapolis.

badfish

Postby badfish » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:14 pm

Informative wrote:
dreamweaver87 wrote:

This.

Only if you feel the need to live in Manhattan. There are plenty of places in NYC where you can live comfortably off of a pi wage.

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:17 am

badfish wrote:
Informative wrote:
dreamweaver87 wrote:

This.

Only if you feel the need to live in Manhattan. There are plenty of places in NYC where you can live comfortably off of a pi wage.

That's what I was thinking, too. I don't need to be right in Manhattan, but somewhere in Brooklyn, perhaps, would be nice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”