So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby clintonius » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:48 pm

Wow. And there are more partners than associates, so you should have a >50% of making partner. Congrats.

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby GermX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:49 pm

8)

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7248
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby beach_terror » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:54 pm

This is a hilarious logic-trainwreck to watch, I'm currently eating lunch at work. Just wanted to say thanks for the entertainment!

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby GermX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:56 pm

lol :twisted:

Eric475
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:42 am

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby Eric475 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:16 pm

I can't believe how out of porportion this whole thing was blown. It seems like OP completely understands that he won't have as good a shot at NYC biglaw from GW as he would at fordham. He's completely fine to live in DC if that happens. What's the problem

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby fortissimo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:19 pm

HooCavalier wrote:NYC = Falling, has-been legal market of the past

DC = Rising, shining legal market of the future



(figure I'd stoke the fire a bit)


DC may be a "shining legal market," but it's still the most competitive market to break into. It is much harder getting a biglaw firm job in DC than in NYC. The GPA cut-offs are ridiculous.

User avatar
T14_Scholly
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby T14_Scholly » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Pwned by one firm's list?

OP, your opinion clearly changed during this thread from "I prefer NYC but DC would not be a bad option if I couldn't get NYC" to "I have no preference between NYC and DC." It changed after you got ridiculed. Face the facts.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby clintonius » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm pretty sure his remark re: Jones Day was a joke. And that he played along with mine. At least, I certainly hope so.

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby Always Credited » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:07 pm

beach_terror wrote:This is a hilarious logic-trainwreck



Some of my future classmates...sigh. /facepalm

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby GermX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:35 pm

You Fordturkey nutjobs are hilarious, lol.

I can't believe how out of porportion this whole thing was blown. It seems like OP completely understands that he won't have as good a shot at NYC biglaw from GW as he would at fordham. He's completely fine to live in DC if that happens. What's the problem


+1

I'm pretty sure his remark re: Jones Day was a joke. And that he played along with mine. At least, I certainly hope so.


+1

User avatar
thedogship
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:30 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby thedogship » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:00 pm

GermX wrote:D.C. market is messed up, NY is messed up, they are all messed up. I like GW Law, GW Law does place in D.C., I need to study and work hard to get to the top 10% of my class, yada yada yada.

I GET IT. If I graduate with a 3.2, it won't matter whether its from GW or Fordham, I'm fucked anyways. Otherwise, I'm good to go, and I personally think GW=better school.


PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop this top 10% talk. It ain't happening. It doesn't just come down to studying and working hard.

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby GermX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:15 pm

So, just because it doesn't "just come down to studying and working hard", you think its not happening?

User avatar
DerrickRose
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby DerrickRose » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:20 pm

GermX wrote:So, just because it doesn't "just come down to studying and working hard", you think its not happening?


No one believes how arbitrary, uncertain, and variable law school grading is until they get there.

For a tiny handful of overqualified people (who probably all had better numbers than you) they can stand above the pack(I'm talking 1-2% of the class), a good 25-35% are stuck on the bottom, and for everybody else, its pretty much a crapshoot.

And you think you have a guarantee that you aren't in that bottom 25-35%, but you don't.

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby GermX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:24 pm

See, this is where you all need to come off your smug high. I clearly stated that not being in the top 10-15% means you will have a shit of a time finding a job, at least in this economy. That is all I stated. That I believe in myself and in my ability to achieve and to get high grades etc... is a personal thing, I'm sorry that you find confidence disturbing, perhaps its because you have none yourself?

User avatar
DerrickRose
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby DerrickRose » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:26 pm

GermX wrote:See, this is where you all need to come off your smug high. I clearly stated that not being in the top 10-15% means you will have a shit of a time finding a job, at least in this economy. That is all I stated. That I believe in myself and in my ability to achieve and to get high grades etc... is a personal thing, I'm sorry that you find confidence disturbing, perhaps its because you have none yourself?


You know who else was confident that the legal system was all gonna work out in his favor? Dred Scott, that's who.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7248
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby beach_terror » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:30 pm

GermX wrote:It just seems like GW Law will put me in a better position, in general (D.C. or NY market), to get a job. I'm also pretty sure that graduating in the top 10% of my class at GW Law will pretty much put me on a level footing with a Fordham grad in terms of finding a job in NYC. There are lots of firms there and they do hire from GW Law--that is a fact.


T14_Scholly wrote:ITT: GermX says something blatantly retarded, gets called out, and then goes back on what he previously said (while acting as if he never said it) in order to save face.


Don't mind me, just fueling the fire.

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby GermX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:22 pm

^ Did you read the whole thing, or did you just decide to highlight the part you liked? I said that graduating at the top 10% will make me competitive for NY jobs. I didn't say that I AM going to graduate at the top 10%. I said that, if I were to graduate at top 10%, then I would be competitive.

Seriously, learn the difference between sufficient, neccessary, must be true-- honestly, did you even take the LSAT? :roll:

shadu
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:17 am

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby shadu » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:31 pm

GermX wrote:^ Did you read the whole thing, or did you just decide to highlight the part you liked? I said that graduating at the top 10% will make me competitive for NY jobs. I didn't say that I AM going to graduate at the top 10%. I said that, if I were to graduate at top 10%, then I would be competitive.

Seriously, learn the difference between sufficient, neccessary, must be true-- honestly, did you even take the LSAT? :roll:


Then what's the point of stating that being in the top 10% will make you competitive? I mean, no shit, being in the top 10% at GW would be great. But unless you think it's a realistic expectation, it's pretty trivial to mention it.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7248
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby beach_terror » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:42 pm

+1 to the above. I'm really just interested in dragging this out to see more ridiculous claims about how Fordham should be falling into the T-40, being a T-20 in an entirely different market means something when comparing to a T-30, so on and so forth.

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby GermX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:52 pm

Then what's the point of stating that being in the top 10% will make you competitive? I mean, no shit, being in the top 10% at GW would be great. But unless you think it's a realistic expectation, it's pretty trivial to mention it.


lol, its kind of sad. You're going to law school and you can't even imagine yourself doing well and excelling, perhaps being among the best. Says a lot about the quality of the pro-Fordham folks.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7248
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby beach_terror » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:02 pm

GermX wrote:
lol, its kind of sad. You're going to law school and you can't even imagine yourself doing well and excelling, perhaps being among the best. Says a lot about the quality of the pro-Fordham folks.


Just to pop in for a preemptive defense, there's a big difference between wanting/imagining yourself in the top 10% and being there. Everyone in law school is going to be working their ass off to hit that magical 10%; however, only the morons think that by "just working hard" they'll have a good shot at being there. Everyone is making fun of you because you seem to think you're gonna be there, which is a woeful miscalculation on your part.

Nobody is saying you aren't smart, but to assume anything above median is very presumptuous.

shadu
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:17 am

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby shadu » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:25 pm

beach_terror said pretty much what I would have said, but just to reiterate: saying that being in the top 10% is a realistic expectation is NOT the same as "imagining myself doing well and excelling." And I'm not "pro-Fordham"--I'm disagreeing with you because you're an idiot.

Also, making a judgment based on Fordham being #34 is fucking retarded. If you hadn't noticed, there are 4 schools that are #22, 6 at #28, 4 at #34, 4 at #38, and 5 at #42. Yes, 34-28 is 6, (which seems like a lot) but this difference really isn't very meaningful when the schools/rankings are grouped this way. So stop acting like Fordham's status as a non-T30 school means anything.

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby GermX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:27 pm

See, that's where you're wrong, beach terror. I didn't assume anything. I said it is my goal to reach the top 10%. If I crash and burn, oh well. You're the one assuming here--you think that me saying "getting in the top 10% guarantees a great job!" is equivalent to me saying "I'm gonna be in the top 10%!!11!!1oneone1!!!!"

As for shadu, give me a break dude, you're an overly pessimistic loser who gets a high off of insulting others. Good luck at Fordturkey.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7248
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby beach_terror » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:29 pm

GermX wrote:If I graduate with a 3.2, it won't matter whether its from GW or Fordham, I'm fucked anyways. Otherwise, I'm good to go, and I personally think GW=better school.


Technically, if you crash and burn, you're fucked. hth! (PS a 3.2 is probably 30-40%ish depending on their curve)

No need to go down with the ship, just jump off and never return. The implicitness of your posts is seriously not worth debating anymore, it's tough to think that an entire group of people would misinterpret what you were saying. :roll:

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Postby seespotrun » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:43 pm

GermX, congrats on getting into a great school and standing firm in your decision!

That being said, if you are as abrasive in real life as you are on the interwebs, you are going to be miserable no matter where you go to school.

hth,

seespotrun




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dabigchina, judill, mjb447, preppingaway, xn3345 and 11 guests