So I chose GW Law over Fordham. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Informative

Bronze

Re: So I chose GW Law over Fordham.

Post by Informative » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:56 pm

Are you guys really comparing based on raw numbers?

Look, if you want NYC, go to Fordham. If you want DC (possibly anywhere else), go to GW. This isn't really that difficult of a decision to make.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:57 pm

^ That is what I'm saying! I want NYC, but I don't need it, D.C. is fine, so basically I'm picking GW because it offers more markets to choose from. NYC is still attainable with GW. With Fordham, its either NYC or you're fucked.

ryguy

Bronze

Post by ryguy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:13 pm

GermX wrote:^ That is what I'm saying! I want NYC, but I don't need it, D.C. is fine, so basically I'm picking GW because it offers more markets to choose from. NYC is still attainable with GW. With Fordham, its either NYC or you're fucked.
He's right. You have to stay in NYC your whole life.....

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:46 pm

GermX wrote:Umm no, I'm willing to make a 200,000 bet, which, btw, is not going to be in loans (I have the money) that I can get a job coming out of GW law, whether that is in D.C. or NYC or anywhere else for the matter. I would LOVE to work in New York. But I wouldn't mind working in D.C. either. Wherever the best job is, I will take it.

What I'm not willing to bet is $200k so that I can land a shitty 50k/yr job in NYC. I'm not that desperate to be in NYC, period.
So basically your whole post amounts to I chose GW and I don't really care where I work but NYC would be nice.
Okay....shouldn't this shit be in the lounge section and not choosing a law school because you are already decided.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:04 pm

^ Pretty much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:53 pm

I'm still chuckling over the top 10% comment earlier in this thread.

Also, that V10 info was useful, so thanks for posting that. I'm certain that the numbers are relatively similar as you descend the V100.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:02 pm

ryguy wrote:
GermX wrote:^ That is what I'm saying! I want NYC, but I don't need it, D.C. is fine, so basically I'm picking GW because it offers more markets to choose from. NYC is still attainable with GW. With Fordham, its either NYC or you're fucked.
He's right. You have to stay in NYC your whole life.....
Yes. Fordham employs special Jesuit inquisitors to condemn you to an auto da fe if you so much as think about securing employment outside the five boroughs. I can't tell anyone about my secret desire to work in [insert some other city] lest I be burnt at the stake. Heresies all around.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:36 am

GermX wrote:^ This despite the fact that I mentioned, over a dozen times already, that I have multiple reasons for choosing GW over Fordham, with the rankings being ONE of those reasons. Rankings do matter.
One of your other reasons was the admissions staff. Take a guess how many times you'll be interacting with them over the next three years. Any other reasons you wish to share?

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:30 pm

Get that sand out of your vagina buddy, you act as if nobody on here takes rank and friendliness into consideration. They are both important.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Curare

New

Post by Curare » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:54 am

GermX wrote:Get that sand out of your vagina buddy
this.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:58 am

I'd make the same choice, but I'd also prefer to live in DC, so... Meh.

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:04 am

Why does the OP keep saying he 'wouldn't mind DC'?

DC IS A TOUGHER MARKET THAN NY. DC is not the back up to NY, NY is the back up to DC when it comes to how difficult it is to get a job there. NY is huge and has tons of jobs. Tons of students want to go there but it is huge. DC is tiny and prestigious. Tons of students still want to go there. I'm sweating over whether I can get DC biglaw from Columbia.

I'm not saying the OP can't get DC but, seriously, he should stop shagging the rankings like a child. I thought I was a rankings whore...

OP - if you were so concerned about rankings why not retake the LSAT? Have you actually done any research into how difficult if would be to get hired into big law at median from either of these schools in NY or DC or 'elsewhere'? In GW your 'home' market is one of the toughest in the country. If you want it, fine. But you could strike out in DC and NY. From Fordham it's tougher to get DC but much easier to get NY.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:11 am

creatinganalt wrote:Why does the OP keep saying he 'wouldn't mind DC'?

DC IS A TOUGHER MARKET THAN NY. DC is not the back up to NY, NY is the back up to DC when it comes to how difficult it is to get a job there. NY is huge and has tons of jobs. Tons of students want to go there but it is huge. DC is tiny and prestigious. Tons of students still want to go there. I'm sweating over whether I can get DC biglaw from Columbia.

I'm not saying the OP can't get DC but, seriously, he should stop shagging the rankings like a child. I thought I was a rankings whore...

OP - if you were so concerned about rankings why not retake the LSAT? Have you actually done any research into how difficult if would be to get hired into big law at median from either of these schools in NY or DC or 'elsewhere'? In GW your 'home' market is one of the toughest in the country. If you want it, fine. But you could strike out in DC and NY. From Fordham it's tougher to get DC but much easier to get NY.
He doesn't give a sh**. Didn't you know he is wealthy? He is so wealthy that he doesnt have to worry about those little things like finding a job us lemmings do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:40 pm

D.C. market is messed up, NY is messed up, they are all messed up. I like GW Law, GW Law does place in D.C., I need to study and work hard to get to the top 10% of my class, yada yada yada.

I GET IT. If I graduate with a 3.2, it won't matter whether its from GW or Fordham, I'm fucked anyways. Otherwise, I'm good to go, and I personally think GW=better school.

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:08 pm

GermX wrote:D.C. market is messed up, NY is messed up, they are all messed up. I like GW Law, GW Law does place in D.C., I need to study and work hard to get to the top 10% of my class, yada yada yada.

I GET IT. If I graduate with a 3.2, it won't matter whether its from GW or Fordham, I'm fucked anyways. Otherwise, I'm good to go, and I personally think GW=better school.
If you prefer DC then GW makes the most sense. But it's obvious from all your posts that you're a spoilt rich fool who is just chasing the highest ranked school. I would bet all of your money that you go around telling people that you got into a 'top 20 school'. Going to a better school for your goals (Fordham) which places exactly the same wouldn't sounds as good cos it's not even 'top 30'.

Why not just be honest and admit that that is your motivation?

Douche.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:17 pm

I'm the douche for picking a school based on a number of valid reasons, one of which includes the school's ranking. Sure thing buddy, sure thing.

It's hilarious how pathetically pro-Fordham you all are. Is it because you couldn't get into Columbia/NYU, and you want to keep the dream alive? The school is slipping and soon won't even be Top 40.

ryguy

Bronze

Post by ryguy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:18 pm

creatinganalt wrote:
GermX wrote:D.C. market is messed up, NY is messed up, they are all messed up. I like GW Law, GW Law does place in D.C., I need to study and work hard to get to the top 10% of my class, yada yada yada.

If you prefer DC then GW makes the most sense. But it's obvious from all your posts that you're a spoilt rich fool who is just chasing the highest ranked school. I would bet all of your money that you go around telling people that you got into a 'top 20 school'. Going to a better school for your goals (Fordham) which places exactly the same wouldn't sounds as good cos it's not even 'top 30'.

Why not just be honest and admit that that is your motivation?

Douche.
Oh dear...I chose GW also over Fordham, but because I like DC. I was born in NY and I want out for now. No worries.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:19 pm

This thread is boring. You chose GW, your life isn't over. Yea, Fordham was the better choice, but your not stuck outside of NYC. Its not like you're at Fordham trying to go to DC - that would be funnier.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:24 pm

Exactly. And GW grads do make it to NYC too. Case closed.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:27 pm

GermX wrote:^ Yes we have, which is why I want to go to a T-20 school that gives me a better chance at surviving this economy than a school that isn't even in the T-30 anymore. Just saying.
yeah i think there are good reasons to pick gw over fordham. the rankings reason should be disregarded, but you also cited things like the size of gw class that you find appealing....if your only perogative was to work in nyc, then fordham should be picked. but if you are okay with not making it to nyc (which is a much greater chance of happening from GW) since fordham is in NYC, and are fine with staying in DC (which you have claimed), GW is a fine choice. however you have rationalized it you won't suffer b/c of your decision to pick gw over fordham, since they give you the same chance at good paying, career-valuable legal work.

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:28 pm

GermX wrote:I'm the douche for picking a school based on a number of valid reasons, one of which includes the school's ranking. Sure thing buddy, sure thing.

It's hilarious how pathetically pro-Fordham you all are. Is it because you couldn't get into Columbia/NYU, and you want to keep the dream alive? The school is slipping and soon won't even be Top 40.
No I think it's because you seem like a douche. Tone it down a bit maybe. If you're going to try to convince people you aren't a douche, it's not the best strategy to then make a totally douchey (and baseless at that) comment.

just sayin'

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:28 pm

Blindmelon wrote:This thread is boring. You chose GW, your life isn't over. Yea, Fordham was the better choice, but your not stuck outside of NYC. Its not like you're at Fordham trying to go to DC - that would be funnier.
haha... *nod

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:31 pm

GermX wrote:I'm the douche for picking a school based on a number of valid reasons, one of which includes the school's ranking. Sure thing buddy, sure thing.

Yeah that certainly helps with the 'I'm not a douche' thing. Keep it up.

EDIT: Here's the stupid thing. I want DC so I'd be taking GW over Fordham if those were my choices. But Fordham isn't 'slipping' and you might wanna take a break from the USNWR kool aid. It's making you look stupid.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:34 pm

It's because you fail at sarcasm-detection.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:43 pm

http://www.jonesday.com/_lawyers/Search.aspx

Btw, type in GW law and check out how many GW grads are working in the NYC offices. PWNED!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”