seton hall vs unv of maryland

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jinkz

seton hall vs unv of maryland

Postby jinkz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:05 pm

I am not really sure which to pick here:

SHU: with scholarships id be paying 17k/year (so 51k total, tuition alone, assuming i don't keep my scholarship the entire 3 yrs), im from NJ and wouldnt mind being in the northern nj/ny area, biggest pro is the affordable cost but ive heard stories about the school stacking people with scholarships in the same section so people lose their scholarships, also heard rumors that the employment data is toyed with and the alum network isnt as strong as they it seems. basically it comes down to cost vs rumors about the value of the degree from SHU

UMD: first off, i am out of state so assuming i get instate tuition after the first year (an iffy possibility) total cost, tuition alone would be around 80k, which is a big con. also moving/living cost would also add up but its a top 50 school, so would the extra cost be worth it? i don't really mind practicing in the dc area, but prolly would want to eventually end up in the ny area. UMD also has a lot more clinic opportunities, and obviously a better rep in the MD/DC area, but does that rep still stand when you go out of state?

any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

eagles86

Re: seton hall vs unv of maryland

Postby eagles86 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:43 pm

UMD is def the better school overall but its a tough one. Theres no way Seton Hall's average salary is actually 125K, and on here they refer to their dean as the "valvoline dean"

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:45 pm

Holy h-e-double hockey sticks, Batman! UMD is TCR, not even a question.

jinkz

Postby jinkz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:39 pm

any advice on how UMD's rep holds up if i wanted to move back to NY a couple of years after graduating, or right after graduating?

i know UMD is the better school, but the out of state tuition is killing me, does anyone know how easy it is to claim instate tuition after the first year? ive heard rumors theyre really strict about that...

option 3 is to just go to SHU for the first year and then transfer out but ive heard bad things about transferring as well, in terms of trying to get involved in activities again and networking, any opinions on that?

Captain Jack

Postby Captain Jack » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:43 pm

Maryland. Better reputation in the DMV area. Better career prospects. Higher ranked. Cheaper tuition.

jinkz

Postby jinkz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:48 pm

UMD's actually more expensive for me caz im out of state, so 33k/yr vs SHU which is 17k/yr (assuming i keep my scholarship all three years)...

Captain Jack

Postby Captain Jack » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:50 pm

Captain Jack wrote:Maryland. Better reputation in the DMV area. Better career prospects. Higher ranked.

kgirl

Postby kgirl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:02 pm

I'm currently a student at UMD. We are expecting a 6.8% tuition increase for out-of-state and 6.3% increase for instate law school tuition. UMD is definitely pricey for a public law school. Thank goodness I'm entering my 3L year. As you know, UMD slipped 5 spots in the rankings just rounding out the T1's on that list. DC is a hard market unless you have an excellent background and top notch grades. Do what's economically wise for you. Honestly, it really doesn't matter which school you go to to once you're out of the elite schools.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:07 pm

Allow me to play Devil's Advocate for a moment.

...stupid game...

What were we talking about? Oh right, go to Maryland.

jinkz

Postby jinkz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:01 am

kgirl wrote:I'm currently a student at UMD. We are expecting a 6.8% tuition increase for out-of-state and 6.3% increase for instate law school tuition. UMD is definitely pricey for a public law school. Thank goodness I'm entering my 3L year. As you know, UMD slipped 5 spots in the rankings just rounding out the T1's on that list. DC is a hard market unless you have an excellent background and top notch grades. Do what's economically wise for you. Honestly, it really doesn't matter which school you go to to once you're out of the elite schools.

6.8%, yikes, has the tuition gone up that much every year you've been there? or is this the first year it's gone up that high?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”