Alabama 2010 Rankings

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
01wannabe
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:50 pm

Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby 01wannabe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:22 pm

How do you think that their 8 number drop will affect their applications in the future, applicants this year (i.e. do you think people will withdraw their applications to go to schools that have jumped Alabama), the law school in general, etc.?

Just want to hear some thoughts! :)

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:25 pm

Alabama should probably be thankful for the people who withdraw their application because of a substandard news magazine's law school rankings.

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby TruckerD » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:31 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Alabama should probably be thankful for the people who withdraw their application because of a substandard news magazine's law school rankings.


TITCR :D

01wannabe
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby 01wannabe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:32 pm

Very true. I've heard some talk that the law school is freaking out about these rankings and that people might be pulling their apps and stuff. Just wanted to broach the subject and see what other think. I find it interesting that people would withdraw their applications because of a drop in rankings one year.

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby TruckerD » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:35 pm

01wannabe wrote:Very true. I've heard some talk that the law school is freaking out about these rankings and that people might be pulling their apps and stuff. Just wanted to broach the subject and see what other think. I find it interesting that people would withdraw their applications because of a drop in rankings one year.


The only reason why the rankings dropped was because of USN's error in not reporting ALL of the numbers. Bama is on the rise, despite what the turd heads at USN say. Go to the rankings and compare the numbers between Bama and UNC, that should say it all.

01wannabe
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby 01wannabe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:40 pm

TruckerD wrote:
01wannabe wrote:Very true. I've heard some talk that the law school is freaking out about these rankings and that people might be pulling their apps and stuff. Just wanted to broach the subject and see what other think. I find it interesting that people would withdraw their applications because of a drop in rankings one year.


The only reason why the rankings dropped was because of USN's error in not reporting ALL of the numbers. Bama is on the rise, despite what the turd heads at USN say. Go to the rankings and compare the numbers between Bama and UNC, that should say it all.



I don't disagree with you at all, and I agree that bama is on the rise, but I am interested in seeing if these rumors of withdrawn applications are true and what a person's reasoning is, in addition to what, if anything, the university is going to do about these bad rankings that are due to someone elses mistake. That is all.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Agree with helmholtz, but I do think it could cause some negative backlash for Bama's class. If people over median start bailing it could hurt next year's numbers and hurt them when they try to climb back up.

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby TruckerD » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:43 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Agree with helmholtz, but I do think it could cause some negative backlash for Bama's class. If people over median start bailing it could hurt next year's numbers and hurt them when they try to climb back up.


I agree it could hurt us. What Bama is going to do, I have no idea. I personally believe that if it was all USN's fault, like I have been told, then Bama should sue. But that is just my opinion.

edit: brain fart
Last edited by TruckerD on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby redsox » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:46 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Agree with helmholtz, but I do think it could cause some negative backlash for Bama's class. If people over median start bailing it could hurt next year's numbers and hurt them when they try to climb back up.


I agree it could hurt us. What Bama is going to do, I have no idea. I personally believe that if it was all USN's fault, like I have been told, then Bama should sue. But that is just my opinion.


hahahahahahahahhaaha

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby TruckerD » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:47 pm

redsox wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:Agree with helmholtz, but I do think it could cause some negative backlash for Bama's class. If people over median start bailing it could hurt next year's numbers and hurt them when they try to climb back up.


I agree it could hurt us. What Bama is going to do, I have no idea. I personally believe that if it was all USN's fault, like I have been told, then Bama should sue. But that is just my opinion.


hahahahahahahahhaaha


Kiss my backside...I have a right to my opinion.

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby redsox » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:48 pm

TruckerD wrote:Kiss my backside...I have a right to my opinion.


And I have a right to laugh at it.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:48 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Agree with helmholtz, but I do think it could cause some negative backlash for Bama's class. If people over median start bailing it could hurt next year's numbers and hurt them when they try to climb back up.


Meh, I think GWU actually did a pretty good job of raising their numbers despite their 09/10 dramatic drop. I honestly don't think Bama is going to see a hit in their numbers because of this.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:49 pm

TruckerD wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:Agree with helmholtz, but I do think it could cause some negative backlash for Bama's class. If people over median start bailing it could hurt next year's numbers and hurt them when they try to climb back up.


I agree it could hurt us. What Bama is going to do, I have no idea. I personally believe that if it was all USN's fault, like I have been told, then Bama should sue. But that is just my opinion.

edit: brain fart



I agree that they should try to put some negative pressure on USNWR if they can. The simple fact is that those rankings affect quite a bit and they don't need to make errors like that and get off without making a published correction.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:49 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:Agree with helmholtz, but I do think it could cause some negative backlash for Bama's class. If people over median start bailing it could hurt next year's numbers and hurt them when they try to climb back up.


Meh, I think GWU actually did a pretty good job of raising their numbers despite their 09/10 dramatic drop. I honestly don't think Bama is going to see a hit in their numbers because of this.


Alabama's first deposit deadline was April 1st, so I guess there's a better chance that folks are locked in and committed regardless.

01wannabe
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby 01wannabe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:54 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:Agree with helmholtz, but I do think it could cause some negative backlash for Bama's class. If people over median start bailing it could hurt next year's numbers and hurt them when they try to climb back up.


Meh, I think GWU actually did a pretty good job of raising their numbers despite their 09/10 dramatic drop. I honestly don't think Bama is going to see a hit in their numbers because of this.


Alabama's first deposit deadline was April 1st, so I guess there's a better chance that folks are locked in and committed regardless.


Very true, it's getting kind of late for people to be jumping ship. I guess there's always the possibility that it will happen for this year if some paid more than one deposit (doubtful), but I would suspect that if anything happens, it won't happen until next year.

And I do think that if it is going to negatively affect Bama, then they should take action, but only if it really wasn't their fault.

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby TruckerD » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:55 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:Agree with helmholtz, but I do think it could cause some negative backlash for Bama's class. If people over median start bailing it could hurt next year's numbers and hurt them when they try to climb back up.


Meh, I think GWU actually did a pretty good job of raising their numbers despite their 09/10 dramatic drop. I honestly don't think Bama is going to see a hit in their numbers because of this.


Alabama's first deposit deadline was April 1st, so I guess there's a better chance that folks are locked in and committed regardless.


MrsT: True, but there are some, like us, that wouldn't back out even if we could. Bama has been great to us, and the offer they gave us couldn't be matched anywhere. We are from the south, and want to stay in the south, so this was the right choice for us.

ps...Bama has only one deposit of $100

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby TruckerD » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:56 pm

01wannabe wrote:And I do think that if it is going to negatively affect Bama, then they should take action, but only if it really wasn't their fault.


I agree :D

01wannabe
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby 01wannabe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:04 pm

TruckerD wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:Agree with helmholtz, but I do think it could cause some negative backlash for Bama's class. If people over median start bailing it could hurt next year's numbers and hurt them when they try to climb back up.


Meh, I think GWU actually did a pretty good job of raising their numbers despite their 09/10 dramatic drop. I honestly don't think Bama is going to see a hit in their numbers because of this.


Alabama's first deposit deadline was April 1st, so I guess there's a better chance that folks are locked in and committed regardless.


MrsT: True, but there are some, like us, that wouldn't back out even if we could. Bama has been great to us, and the offer they gave us couldn't be matched anywhere. We are from the south, and want to stay in the south, so this was the right choice for us.

ps...Bama has only one deposit of $100



I'm not sure that the one deposit of $100 will keep people because there are other schools that require more than one deposit (and a heftier amount at that). On another note, it's very surprising to me that Bama only has the one deposit because they are so highly ranked. I've heard of other schools requiring multiple deposits of over $200.

MrsT: I am sure you and your family will love Bama, it's a great school

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby TruckerD » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:07 pm

redsox wrote:
TruckerD wrote:Kiss my backside...I have a right to my opinion.


And I have a right to laugh at it.


Then, just for giggles, pretend it's one of the precious T14's that got butchered by USN. Don't you think they would do something? Everyone on here would be outraged, but because it is just Bama, no one gives a shit.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:11 pm

I am not certain, but didn't a similiar drop occur with respect to the Univ. of Georgia School of Law a few years ago?
The Univ. of Alabama School of Law is well respected & this is probably just a temporary setback. Alabama's undergraduate school & law school have been marketing themselves in a fairly aggressive manner over the past few years with great success; this ambitious marketing strategy may have backfired this year for the School of Law as some considered the free application & gift strategy as a bit too gimmicky. The Univ. of Alabama School of Law is too good to remain in its current position. A high profile hiring or two should quickly cure this temporary setback.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

01wannabe
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby 01wannabe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:15 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I am not certain, but didn't a similiar drop occur with respect tto the Univ. of Georgia School of Law a few years ago?


What makes you say that and do you know what happened? Very interesting. I am sure that this stuff happens all the time.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:21 pm

The good news is that Alabama should still dominate its primary market for job placement.
No, I am not certain as to what occurred at Georgia, but the Univ. of Georgia School of Law did well this year in the USNews rankings game.

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Alabama 2010 Rankings

Postby redsox » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:27 pm

TruckerD wrote:
redsox wrote:
TruckerD wrote:Kiss my backside...I have a right to my opinion.


And I have a right to laugh at it.


Then, just for giggles, pretend it's one of the precious T14's that got butchered by USN. Don't you think they would do something? Everyone on here would be outraged, but because it is just Bama, no one gives a shit.


I sure don't.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dante181, ggnobbq, Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests