Crazy to consider Maryland Law over GW and NW? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LavAzza2004

New

Crazy to consider Maryland Law over GW and NW?

Post by LavAzza2004 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Why are there so few posts about Maryland Law (Baltimore)??

With deadlines approaching, I'm likely narrowing down my options to GW ($30,000/yr + 1st year housing) or NW (assuming no merit aid, though I'll hear within the week if this is the case). I visited Maryland last week, was impressed by their leadership and the profs I met, and have since been offered a $20,000/yr scholarship. Given out-of-state tuition for me, Maryland's offer is about on par with GW's offer to me once you factor in the cheaper cost overall of Maryland vs. GW.

While the D.C. area is appealing to me, I don't know if/how long I want to stay in the area, so a somewhat nationally-known law school is one factor important to me (e.g. NW and even GW).

Given the difference in rankings between Maryland and GW (and especially NW), and that Maryland will cost me about the same as GW, I'm likely going to decline Maryland's offer with a somewhat heavy heart given how much I enjoyed it.

Note - I've toured both GW and NW (on non-ASW days, so the red carpet wasn't totally rolled out), and feel that both schools along with Chicago or D.C. would be good fits as well.

Any thoughts on Maryland out there?

Diamond

Re: Crazy to consider Maryland Law over GW and NW?

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:02 pm

Epic anti-northwestern trolling.

Seriously though the job prospects out Northwestern compared to Maryland are well worth the extra cost. Going to a school that fits well is important, but practical considerations like job prospects should be paramount.

Northwestern is the right choice here.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:08 pm

University of Maryland is ranked #9 in clinical training. Northwestern isn't even ranked in the top ten clinical training law schools.
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... l-training

/but seriously, go to Northwestern

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:08 pm

The answer to your question is yes.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:11 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The answer to your question is yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hubtubrub

New

Post by hubtubrub » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:12 pm

psyco?

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:19 pm

I love Maryland as well, for a variety of reasons, and I would choose it over its peer regional schools (AU/GMU).
That said, GW is not a peer school of Maryland. The opportunities there (and out of there) are at a higher level than Maryland. Add in Northwestern and you do come out as crazy. (I might choose GW's $$$ offer over NW but your decision should be between those two schools)

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Epic anti-northwestern trolling.
Blatant Anti-G-dub trolling

memaha

Bronze

Post by memaha » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:22 pm

crazy

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LavAzza2004

New

Post by LavAzza2004 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:29 pm

OneKnight wrote:I love Maryland as well, for a variety of reasons, and I would choose it over its peer regional schools (AU/GMU).
That said, GW is not a peer school of Maryland. The opportunities there (and out of there) are at a higher level than Maryland. Add in Northwestern and you do come out as crazy. (I might choose GW's $$$ offer over NW but your decision should be between those two schools)
Thanks - that's what I've pretty much come down to but wanted some opinions as to whether or not I'm missing anything on Maryland before I decline their offer (deadline tomorrow!). Apparently from all the responses I'm not! It's still a tough call for me between NW and GW$$$...

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:18 pm

LavAzza2004 wrote:Thanks - that's what I've pretty much come down to but wanted some opinions as to whether or not I'm missing anything on Maryland before I decline their offer (deadline tomorrow!). Apparently from all the responses I'm not! It's still a tough call for me between NW and GW$$$...
You're insane. Go to NU. They dominate Chicago and the NLJ250. GW competes with GTTTown in a saturated market and the COL in DC is crazy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”