Quinnipiac (Full Ride) vs George Mason (no $)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Quinnipiac ($$$) or George Mason (Sticker)

Quinnipiac - Full ride Dean's Scholarship
39%
George Mason - no Scholarship
61%

Total votes: 36

aeqvitas

Quinnipiac (Full Ride) vs George Mason (no $)

Postby aeqvitas » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:55 am

Is George Mason worth my turning down a full scholarship to Quinnipiac?

I visited both schools and really liked them. I REALLY like the DC area and would like to end up there, but is it worth the debt (150,000 - 180,000) at GMU?

aeqvitas

Re: Quinnipiac (Full Ride) vs George Mason (no $)

Postby aeqvitas » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:16 am

Bump

lawlife2010

Postby lawlife2010 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:17 am

bump

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:23 am

There has to be a middleman here. American? Maryland? Nova/Temple?

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:27 am

DerrickRose wrote:There has to be a middleman here. American? Maryland? Nova/Temple?

+1

Any lower tier 1 or tier 2 scholarships?

aeqvitas

Postby aeqvitas » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:47 pm

I got a scholarship of 15K to South Carolina, with instate tuition. I don't want to stay in SC, so that isn't a very reasonable choice for me.

I've been waitlisted everywhere else it seems (I still haven't heard back from several other schools)

I am INCREDIBLY torn with this decision.

I don't want to be stuck in New England (NoVA/DC is where I would like to end up), but the full ride at QU, plus the fact that the full ride is very selective are really gummin up the works.

aeqvitas

Postby aeqvitas » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:16 pm

I'd really love if you back up your vote with a reason for it. That would really help, I appreciate it.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:22 pm

George Mason all the way! TAX PAYERS WILL PAY FOR OUR EDUCATION !

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:22 pm

i voted quinnipiac because I love reading jdundergound

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:25 pm

aeqvitas wrote:I don't want to be stuck in New England (NoVA/DC is where I would like to end up), but the full ride at QU, plus the fact that the full ride is very selective are really gummin up the works.

What are your numbers, when did you apply, do you have a job, and do you think you could do better on the LSAT with another chance?

I ask because you need to be going to a 30-70 ranked school in the Mid-Atlantic with a good scholarship. None of these options are good for you.

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:27 pm

With IBR loans aren't as big of an oppressive force, however, graduating with minimal debt obviously has its advantages. QU doesn't really place all that well in Ct, and outside of Ct, well, unless you hustle networking you're not going to get very far. Just remember that out of GMU you're hardly guaranteed a job working in DC.

aeqvitas

Postby aeqvitas » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:14 pm

applied in February.
164 LSAT
3.5 GPA
Graduated from Undergrad in 2007, have been working full time since.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:34 pm

aeqvitas wrote:applied in February.
164 LSAT
3.5 GPA
Graduated from Undergrad in 2007, have been working full time since.

Okay, you applied late and that is why you don't have good scholarship options. Here's what you do.

1. Sign up to take the June LSAT. The competition is less steep than October.

2. Between now and then, go to the LSAT Prep forum and do everything they tell you. Those people are great, I wish I had done more. You will have to really take this seriously and work at it, but I have every bit of confidence that you can get a 168, and if you get any higher than that you're really talking.

3. After the LSAT, try to do some volunteering at a legal aid clinic or something. It will get you exposed to the legal field a bit, maybe you have something to write a PS about, maybe you meet someone who can give you an LOR, whatever. Its a good line to have on your resume.

4. In October of next year, send e-mails with your LSAT and GPA and request an application fee waiver to the following schools(I'm going to assume a 168/3.5): UVa, Duke, Georgetown, Vandy, GW, W&M, UNC, W&L, Wake, George Mason, American, Maryland, Richmond, and West Virginia. If there is some other school out there that tickles your fancy and your new numbers make you competitive there, add them to the list. For God's sake don't apply to any run-down TTT's like Quinnipiac, you don't want to hear what they have to tell you.

5. Use the fee waivers if they give them to you, and if they don't, unless you really hate that particular school, suck it up and apply anyway. You never know what school is going to love you and overpay for the privilege of having you. Have all your applications out by Halloween.

6. Less than 10 months from now, have several offers that are way better than anything you have right now, be way closer to your real goals without having to settle for anything, and be just generally blissfully happy.

7. Come back to TLS and post a thread titled "DerrickRose is a genius"

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:03 pm

Completely unrequested additional pep talk:

OP, look at this LSN profile:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/DrPuffy

That's someone with numbers barely any different from yours who applied late, only picked a couple of schools and BOOM, accept, accept, accept right down the line. That was 2004-05. He probably got a scholarship from George Mason and discarded them like a dirty rag.

That guy was in the class of 2008 at Georgetown. He did OCI in the fall of 2006. He probably got a Biglaw job or some other high paying, interesting, prestigious placement without having to bat an eyelash. Got in just before the weather came.

Then ITE happened.

You don't get into Georgetown with those numbers anymore. You aren't safe paying sticker anymore. You can't apply late and have scholarships land in your lap anymore.

And doesn't that piss you off?

Doesn't it make you mad that just because you popped out of your mothers womb a couple of years late the same opportunities aren't afforded to you that were given to your exact equivalent before?

Its a rough legal market out there and that guy is hardly safe, but you'd rather be that guy with a Georgetown JD and one good job on a resume than the dude walking out of Quinnipiac with no place to go.

So don't just sit there and take it. Work harder. Be better. Get luckier. Attack the LSAT with everything you've got. You are just as good as the kids currently attending George Mason, but with a little elbow grease you might fool them into thinking you're better.

People talk about how they're so confident that they are going to work their balls off when they get to law school. Let me tell you, law school is just like the rest of life. You aren't more motivated when you walk in the door, you aren't suddenly able to study like your life depends on it just because it actually does. The biggest things you can do to make that $160k dream in the sky a reality happen before you ever send that seat deposit in.

You want to be a lawyer? Well then wake the &^%$ up and become one. Don't slink off to some crap school in a region you don't want to be in or bury yourself in debt just because its all that's been handed to you. Go and grab the better opportunities by the scruff of the neck and demand them.

If you pay all that money to go to George Mason, you had better finish in the top 10-15% of the class to have the kind of great opportunities that inspire people to go to law school. But I've gotta say, by applying in February with a haphazard application strategy, you've put yourself in the bottom 10% of applicants right off the bat.

Its not too late though. The semester isn't over yet. Those schools you don't think you can get into and that money you don't think you can get, they know nothing about you. You're 5 sheets of office paper printed in a stack of hundreds. You can't change you in 10 months, but you can make those sheets of paper jump to the top of the stack.

Do it.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:03 pm

DerrickRose wrote:Its not too late though. The semester isn't over yet. Those schools you don't think you can get into and that money you don't think you can get, they know nothing about you. You're 5 sheets of office paper printed in a stack of hundreds. You can't change you in 10 months, but you can make those sheets of paper jump to the top of the stack.

Do it.

I may have you write me one of these near exam time every semester for the next couple years.

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:17 pm

DerrickRose has good advice.

If you don't take it, I'd advise going to Quinnipiac (or USC if you'd rather risk being stuck in SC than CT; at least USC places well in SC) for one year and then transferring up. But since it's far from a guarantee that you'd be able to do that, and since you have a job, waiting and applying again in the fall seems like good advice. Your GPA is good and your LSAT isn't bad; even without improving it I think you can do better than you've done this cycle.

aeqvitas

Postby aeqvitas » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:52 am

I really do appreciate your advice, DerrickRose.

I do not think that I can wait another year before going to law school. Here are some reasons I have for considering either school.

GMU
The main downside you're presenting is that the debt just isn't worth it at GMU. With IBR for 10 years, and the fact that I am looking at Gov't, Military (long shot there, I know) or even public interest - that debt all of sudden is much less daunting.

Plus, GMU does boast a 95% employment rate upon graduation. I do expect to be at the top of my class (who doesn't?), but even graduating in the top 50% should be a guarantee of decent employment after GMU. After 10 years, if I go into Private/Business law, I should think that I would be making enough money to handle student loans without having to live in a hovel.

QU

I was awarded the Dean's Scholarship here. The current Dean's Scholarship grads have all done rather well. Several of them are in BIGLAW, (one did a summer internship in NYC, which translated into a job for him). Others stayed in CT for large firms, or got federal clerkships, and one got a job with a large firm in New Orleans.

I'm not going to try to defend QU's program as a whole. I definitely don't think it's worth sticker. But the Dean's Scholars tend to be at the top of their class, and because Dean Saxton has spent so much time travelling around the country promoting the Dean's Scholar grads, that distinction does seem to have some weight, and QU grads are finding more and more networking opportunities. Now if you graduate in the bottom 50% at QU, you're screwed. Top 25-50%, you'll be ok, maybe. But I think that QU grads at the top of their class have plenty of opportunities open to them.

So I understand your reasons for me to wait another year, give the LSAT a try, and go through this process again. But I think that either of these schools at this juncture would be a reasonable choice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”