Wait and reapply, or NU/Cornell?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What would you do?

NU
28
47%
Cornell
4
7%
Wait and reapply
27
46%
 
Total votes: 59

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Wait and reapply, or NU/Cornell?

Postby lawschoollll » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:08 pm

I applied late Jan early Feb. I am a 3.5x/172 (applied to late because the 172 is my Feb. score). Softs are fine and don't seem to have hurt me (and I know at least one of my LORs is very, very laudatory because I read it). Of the T14, I have gotten into Cornell and NU so far with no $ from NU (got the "we have already exhausted all funds) and no word yet from Cornell re: $. I have not yet heard back from Penn or Duke and am on the WL at MV and the Preferred WL at G. I didn't apply to any of CCN (I missed the 2/1 deadlines). I want to go to a T14 but am very debt averse; however, if I had to pay sticker to go to a T14, I would do it. Probably want Biglaw but certainly not opposed to the idea of PI or government (and ideally, clerkship --> Biglaw).

If NU is the best I can do, I'll definitely pay sticker to go there, but I'm not quite convinced it is. If I were to wait a year, I think I'd have a fighting chance at: one of MVP; NYU with an ED; small $ at DCNG; or $$ at a place like Vandy. A complicating personal factor is that the SO is in DC, making VP or G much more attractive.

Basically, I don't want to cheat myself out of a better opportunity, but I also don't want to have to wait a year to end up in this exact same situation at this time next year. I have a job right now that, while low-paying, is secure and will certainly not hurt my resume. Any advice anyone could offer would be very helpful.

Also: how much will reapplying to NU and Cornell next year hurt my chances of getting in?

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: Wait and reapply, or NU/Cornell?

Postby showNprove » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:15 pm

If you applied ED to UVa, I'd put your chances at >95%. Great chances at NYU, M, and P as well. You can do better. If you're not happy with NU or Cornell, wait a year.

NU is a great school, though--except you don't seem happy with it. Definitely a personal decision re: self-satisfaction and when you want to enroll. Whether you decide to go to NU or a T10 school next year, you'll be in a positive situation.

Edit: I think if you get into Penn this cycle, you should take it, unless you're in love with NYU, UVa, or Michigan.

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Wait and reapply, or NU/Cornell?

Postby lawschoollll » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:19 pm

showNprove wrote:If you applied ED to UVa, I'd put your chances at >95%. Great chances at NYU, M, and P as well. You can do better. If you're not happy with NU or Cornell, wait a year.

NU is a great school, though--except you don't seem happy with it. Definitely a personal decision re: self-satisfaction and when you want to enroll. Whether you decide to go to NU or a T10 school next year, you'll be in a positive situation.

Edit: I think if you get into Penn this cycle, you should take it, unless you're in love with NYU, UVa, or Michigan.


Thanks. Something that really gives me pause is that people with my #s on LSN seem to get ~$45K - $54K at Michigan.

And re: your edit: yes - if I get in at Penn this cycle, I'm going. I've actually already committed to that in a LOCI I wrote them, which is the one reason I'm holding out hope. Despite popular TLS opinion, I think Philly's an okay city (went to UG nearby).

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Wait and reapply, or NU/Cornell?

Postby im_blue » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:47 am

Only the T5 schools place significantly better than NU, so I would just suck it up and pick NU.

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Wait and reapply, or NU/Cornell?

Postby lawschoollll » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:40 am

im_blue wrote:Only the T5 schools place significantly better than NU, so I would just suck it up and pick NU.

Is this really true? I know NU topped the NALP rankings, but that definitely doesn't tell the whole story. Almost everyone at NU wants Biglaw. I have a hard time believing that NU is better than MVP, Duke, and NYU at placing into the NLJ250, at least in any way that is statistically signifcant and repeatable.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Wait and reapply, or NU/Cornell?

Postby im_blue » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:49 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
im_blue wrote:Only the T5 schools place significantly better than NU, so I would just suck it up and pick NU.

Is this really true? I know NU topped the NALP rankings, but that definitely doesn't tell the whole story. Almost everyone at NU wants Biglaw. I have a hard time believing that NU is better than MVP, Duke, and NYU at placing into the NLJ250, at least in any way that is statistically signifcant and repeatable.

MVP/N biglaw placement is equal to or slightly better than NU, but not significantly so. IMO that difference doesn't justify waiting another year.

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Wait and reapply, or NU/Cornell?

Postby fortissimo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:54 pm

im_blue wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:
im_blue wrote:Only the T5 schools place significantly better than NU, so I would just suck it up and pick NU.

Is this really true? I know NU topped the NALP rankings, but that definitely doesn't tell the whole story. Almost everyone at NU wants Biglaw. I have a hard time believing that NU is better than MVP, Duke, and NYU at placing into the NLJ250, at least in any way that is statistically signifcant and repeatable.

MVP/N biglaw placement is equal to or slightly better than NU, but not significantly so. IMO that difference doesn't justify waiting another year.


If OP can get $$ at a t10, it might be better to wait another year. Plus, by then the market may have picked up a bit more.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Wait and reapply, or NU/Cornell?

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:44 pm

I disagree that there would be little point to waiting. OP, you and I have the same numbers; I applied in October and got into nine of the T14, some with significant $. NU is really a great option, but if you are debt averse and already considering waiting a year, then there's a strong argument to doing so. I guess it all depends on how much of a rush you're in. I personally wouldn't want to wait another year -- but if you're open to it, and have a decent job now, then there's a big argument for doing so. PM if you want to talk more.

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Wait and reapply, or NU/Cornell?

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:52 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I disagree that there would be little point to waiting. OP, you and I have the same numbers; I applied in October and got into nine of the T14, some with significant $. NU is really a great option, but if you are debt averse and already considering waiting a year, then there's a strong argument to doing so. I guess it all depends on how much of a rush you're in. I personally wouldn't want to wait another year -- but if you're open to it, and have a decent job now, then there's a big argument for doing so. PM if you want to talk more.

TG, I've seen your LSN page. First of all, congratulations on a ridiculously sweet cycle. That being said, I think your cycle (Darrow at M and in at Berkeley with a 3.5??) is atypical of our numbers. As in, the very, very best that someone with our numbers could hope for. I think if I applied early, I could reasonably expect something between my current cycle and your cycle - my softs are fine I guess, but there's nothing in my app that would blow anyone's mind.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Wait and reapply, or NU/Cornell?

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:52 pm

PM'd.

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Wait and reapply, or NU/Cornell?

Postby lawschoollll » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:03 pm

So, I am leaning heavily towards taking another year off and reapplying next year. Got a small scholarship from NU, haven't heard from Penn yet, but barring any major changes/surprises, that's my plan.

I have a job in NY right now, but would like to move down to DC (gf). Does anyone know of any 1-year teaching/Americorps type gigs down in DC (minimal pay, doing something for the community type of thing)?

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Wait and reapply, or NU/Cornell?

Postby lawschoollll » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:27 am

Shameless bump. Also, NU has turned into $0-$15K-$15K for a total of $30K over the 3 years.

User avatar
on_ne_sait_jamais
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:20 pm

Re: Wait and reapply, or NU/Cornell?

Postby on_ne_sait_jamais » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:34 am

You just haven't done your research if you're talkign about MVP being >>>>> than NU, it's mroe like VP almost ===== to NU and M only greater if you want clerkships. You really need to re-evaluate your current situation. You have a 3.5 and a 172; you're not a URM; you probably have nothing that interesting going on in your life, and you're complaining that you can do better than NU?? I predict whatever school you go to, you finish firmly in the middle of your class, b/c it sounds like that's exactly what you are... Mediocre

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Wait and reapply, or NU/Cornell?

Postby lawschoollll » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:46 am

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:You just haven't done your research if you're talkign about MVP being >>>>> than NU, it's mroe like VP almost ===== to NU and M only greater if you want clerkships. You really need to re-evaluate your current situation. You have a 3.5 and a 172; you're not a URM; you probably have nothing that interesting going on in your life, and you're complaining that you can do better than NU?? I predict whatever school you go to, you finish firmly in the middle of your class, b/c it sounds like that's exactly what you are... Mediocre

I'm not "complaining," just trying to gauge my chances at getting into a school I'd be happier with next year (V and P for personal reasons), or getting money at a school comparable to NU (because I'm very debt-averse). I think I explained this pretty clearly. But it is good to hear your opinion, even if you do feel the need to be a disparaging and presumptuous douchebag while expressing it.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138, Socratease and 4 guests