GULC/BC$$$/WUSTL$$$/WI$$$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Choose a School

GULC (Sticker)
42%
BC (30K/year)
36%
WUSTL (33K/year)
15%
Wisconsin (full ride)
7%

Total votes: 137

splinter23x

Re: GULC/BC$$$/WUSTL$$$/WI$$$$

Postby splinter23x » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:13 pm

nowinGA wrote:Money is definitely an issue. I mean, I will be borrowing to go to GULC. But it is a dream school, and it is hard to consider saying no to that. All of my funding that is not scholarships will be loans. WashU is a strong consideration because it is a really, really great school. The COL factor is nice...but that is not a determining factor for me. I mean, at this point all of the borrowing numbers are so high anyway...at any of these 4 choices...because of COL. But I appreciate your input.

Understood. You're welcome for the input. After reading your post, I think I'd recommend ignoring your friends/family, ignoring TLS, and do what you think you won't regret. The last thing you want is to get into 1L year and think, "I should've gone there." You got into some great schools, congratulations and enjoy it, go where you want to go rather than beating yourself up!

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:12 pm

splinter23x wrote:
nowinGA wrote:Money is definitely an issue. I mean, I will be borrowing to go to GULC. But it is a dream school, and it is hard to consider saying no to that. All of my funding that is not scholarships will be loans. WashU is a strong consideration because it is a really, really great school. The COL factor is nice...but that is not a determining factor for me. I mean, at this point all of the borrowing numbers are so high anyway...at any of these 4 choices...because of COL. But I appreciate your input.

Understood. You're welcome for the input. After reading your post, I think I'd recommend ignoring your friends/family, ignoring TLS, and do what you think you won't regret. The last thing you want is to get into 1L year and think, "I should've gone there." You got into some great schools, congratulations and enjoy it, go where you want to go rather than beating yourself up!

Much easier said that done! So many different implications depending on what I choose. But you are right. I am definitely grateful to have so many options.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:17 pm

If you're debt averse, go to BC. You'll have access to at least Boston and perhaps other large east coast cities if you perform well.

If you would be comfortable taking on another $200k of debt, Georgetown will be the biggest boost to your career. It's hard to turn down your dream school, even at sticker price. If public interest is appealing to you, then this is an easy choice.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:26 pm

JOThompson wrote:If you're debt averse, go to BC. You'll have access to at least Boston and perhaps other large east coast cities if you perform well.

If you would be comfortable taking on another $200k of debt, Georgetown will be the biggest boost to your career. It's hard to turn down your dream school, even at sticker price. If public interest is appealing to you, then this is an easy choice.

I hate to say I am NOT debt averse...but, well, I am kinda not. Or I wouldn't be doing this at all! I already have a little bit from a PhD I worked on. The thing is...I believe that life is too short, and money is only money. Things work themselves out. I am not worried about being destitute or starving. That said, I don't want to be stupid. I could graduate and have a total of $260K in federal student loan debt. That just feels perverse. That said, I have to admit that IBR makes me a wee bit more comfortable with the whole thing. If I am not in biglaw, and I do end up just having some old job for $50K/year...I should be able to survive (right?) ;)

Thanks again, for all of the input. Yesterday I got hot on the idea of WashU again. Today I woke up all Georgetown. (Two days ago was all BC)....

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:30 pm

nowinGA wrote:
JOThompson wrote:If you're debt averse, go to BC. You'll have access to at least Boston and perhaps other large east coast cities if you perform well.

I hate to say I am NOT debt averse...but, well, I am kinda not. Or I wouldn't be doing this at all! I already have a little bit from a PhD I worked on. The thing is...I believe that life is too short, and money is only money. Things work themselves out. I am not worried about being destitute or starving. That said, I don't want to be stupid. I could graduate and have a total of $260K in federal student loan debt. That just feels perverse. That said, I have to admit that IBR makes me a wee bit more comfortable with the whole thing. If I am not in biglaw, and I do end up just having some old job for $50K/year...I should be able to survive (right?) ;)

Thanks again, for all of the input. Yesterday I got hot on the idea of WashU again. Today I woke up all Georgetown. (Two days ago was all BC)....

Prestige lasts a lifetime, debt is temporary (and maybe even tolerable with IBR). You have some great options and I don't think you're condemning yourself to doc review with any of those schools. Good luck!

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:07 pm

That is what keeps getting me. Because of COL, borrowing numbers are going to be so high anyway, so....what's the dif? 100K, 200K, 300K...it is all just a high number I can't imagine. I know it can't be good to think that way....but I kinda can't help it.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:02 pm

best and most practical to think of it in terms of amount of money owed per year, approximately. that might put it in perspective

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:56 pm

imisscollege wrote:best and most practical to think of it in terms of amount of money owed per year, approximately. that might put it in perspective

Right. And with IBR, that amount could be the same whether my debt is $150K or $300K...that is the issue. Psychologically, that makes me think...what the heck? Here I come, GULC! (assuming they take me!) ;)

yabbadabbado

Postby yabbadabbado » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:34 pm

If you are going to take the $, I'd definitely lean toward WI, assuming the full ride comes with no strings attached. If not, I'd think about reapplying next cycle, and trying to get a no-strings attached full ride from a comparable school.

BC and WUSTL aren't very attractive options because you will still be at least $90K in debt.

GULC is a risk if big $, big firm on the east coast is all you want. Even if the economy improves (which it will eventually), the days of schools like GULC being able to place ~75% of the class into six figure jobs at big firms are probably over for the foreseeable future. Public Interest/LRAP is nothing to bank on either since PI jobs are way more competitive to get (even in a great economy) than most people can fathom. Also, LRAP doesn't cover pre-law debt.

Also, if you have a ton of debt from Ugrad or Grad school, I'd seriously think about whether it is a good idea to take out $180K+ for law school.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:37 pm

yabbadabbado wrote:If you are going to take the $, I'd definitely lean toward WI, assuming the full ride comes with no strings attached. If not, I'd think about reapplying next cycle, and trying to get a no-strings attached full ride from a comparable school.

BC and WUSTL aren't very attractive options because you will still be at least $90K in debt.

GULC is a risk if big $, big firm on the east coast is all you want. Even if the economy improves (which it will eventually), the days of schools like GULC being able to place ~75% of the class into six figure jobs at big firms are probably over for the foreseeable future. Public Interest/LRAP is nothing to bank on either since PI jobs are way more competitive to get (even in a great economy) than most people can fathom. Also, LRAP doesn't cover pre-law debt.

Also, if you have a ton of debt from Ugrad or Grad school, I'd seriously think about whether it is a good idea to take out $180K+ for law school.

If that debt is public debt, Georgetown's LRAP will cover it, although there is a limit. See the hour-long video on their website (there is a link from the GULc c/o 2013 thread).

Informative

Postby Informative » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Agreed. BC and GULC have extremely large and generous LRAP programs. You could come out of BC with almost no debt when you count their LRAP program. I don't know about WUSTL and WI.

yabbadabbado

Postby yabbadabbado » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:44 pm

It's not that simple. You need to look at the IBR requirements very carefully. Also, consider your other debt. If you have private loans of any sort, IBR doesn't really help. If you get ill or are unable to work for any reason, you could have serious problems. Heavy debt can also limit other things, such as leaving a bad job, getting married/starting a family, obtaining credit for various things, etc.

nowinGA wrote:Right. And with IBR, that amount could be the same whether my debt is $150K or $300K...that is the issue. Psychologically, that makes me think...what the heck? Here I come, GULC! (assuming they take me!) ;)

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:45 pm

nowinGA wrote:Right. And with IBR, that amount could be the same whether my debt is $150K or $300K...that is the issue. Psychologically, that makes me think...what the heck? Here I come, GULC!

Dear lord this country is in trouble.

Informative

Postby Informative » Wed May 05, 2010 6:36 pm

LOL. 300k is a freaking mortgage.

Simpler Times

Postby Simpler Times » Mon May 10, 2010 3:08 pm

Just dropping by for a little pro Wisconsin trolling. You functionally have three peer schools and Georgetown. Georgetown is a hyper expensive ivy league diploma mill. Although it will give you the best chances of any of the schools you got into, its prestige is more useful for 'impressing mom' than 'impressing other lawyers.'

I think you should take into consideration both Wisconsin's low cost of living (around 18 a year), strong summer clinical program (which involves you getting paid to take credits over the summer - a good deal in this era of 'no 1Ls get employed for money ever'), and the fact that there is no real in state competition.

Many of the schools you're considering are in highly saturated markets - even if you're king shit at Georgetown you still have to wait in line behind all of HYSCCN to even have a shot at a job in DC (of course, UVA is right there too).

When the economy was good, sure - Georgetown was the right choice. That said, since you didn't get into a T10 school I think you should give up on your east coast dreams and move out to the mid-west to die alone with the rest of us.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Mon May 10, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks for all the tips. I think I am ready to close down my polls...gotta just see what actually happens and go with my gut...thanks.

Informative

Postby Informative » Tue May 11, 2010 4:54 pm

I'm sure whatever you decide you will be happy. BC and GULC are both great schools. I am trying to make that same decision. Hope to see you in the fall, whatever we both end up choosing!

Stats: 166/3.8
Acceptances: BC, BU, GW, Fordham, UCLA, UConn, GULC
Denied: Cornell, Chicago

Return to “Choosing a Law School”