ASU vs. USD Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ylwbellysloth

New

ASU vs. USD

Post by ylwbellysloth » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:52 pm

I just got accepted to ASU, and really was not planning on going there. But I have narrowed it down to USD and ASU, and seeing as tuition is a bit cheaper at ASU, and I have yet to receive any money from USD, I'm considering it now. But, I really want to live/work in California after I graduate, so I was wondering if anybody knew the career prospects of working in California (primarily Southern Cal) coming from ASU.

ylwbellysloth

New

Re: ASU vs. USD

Post by ylwbellysloth » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:06 pm

Anyone have any insight - it'd be really helpful. Thanks

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:22 am

ASU, they ranked better last year and they ranked A LOT better this year. I'd say ASU but only if you don't mind living in or around Arizona. Plus, ASU is a hella of a lot cheaper than USD

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:51 am

If your goal is SoCal, I'd have to go with USD.

Tuition and COL will be less at ASU, but you have to be prepared to stay in Arizona after you graduate. The degree travels to an extent, but it's not great. I couldn't find more recent data, but for the class of 2007, ASU placed 9% of their class in the Pacific region. I would bet most of those people are in SoCal. By and large, though, they placed 82% of that class in the Mountain time zone / region.

MSUPHL

Bronze

Post by MSUPHL » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:03 pm

im going to asu next yr - so excited 8) . But then again, im coming from east lansing where every-time the sun appears is akin to a small miracle. And I also plan on living in Phoenix area after graduation and hopefully raising a family in Scottsdale.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BruinsFan

Bronze

Post by BruinsFan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:28 pm

When I applied I reallyyyy wanted to go to USD, but when I got in and fully realized just how expensive it was I had some second thoughts. I looked at Oregon and UNLV for, what seem like, the same reasons you're looking at ASU. I know ASU is better ranked, but Oregon and UNLV both would have been cheaper than USD and provided a good education/decent employment prospects. I asked the Dean at UNLV about how many graduates come back to CA and it was a fairly small number, especially since the school is so new, and it sounds like ASU is the asme way. I ended up putting my deposit down at USD because I really want to stay in San Diego, if not Southern California, and, well let's be honest, I had reallyyyyy wanted to go there.

Before I put my deposit down, I sat in on a class, spoke with the Dean, tracked down a couple 2/3L's to talk to, and went to 2 admissions events; I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be disappointed when I got there for as much money as I'll be paying. With as much research as I've done I feel confident in my ability to do well at USD, get a job when I graduate, and not feel as though I'm being crushed by my debt.

One other thing to keep in mind, if you graduate from ASU and want to come back to CA, but may only have connections in AZ, you'll probably end up taking 2 bars. Not the end of the world, but something to keep in mind.

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:32 pm

I know the U of A places a substantial amount of its grads in CA, but I'm not sure about ASU. I was under the impression that it is a bit more regional (i.e. Phoenix metro area) than a U of A degree. That's about all I know. I would think your best shot at staying in CA would be to go to USD. The question you have to ask yourself is if it is worth the extra $$$.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:34 pm

ASU's placement in CA is pretty pathetic. If you want to work in Cali you should go to a CA school (or T14)
http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=2&pp=5

ylwbellysloth

New

Post by ylwbellysloth » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks for all the info - it's kind of what I expected but just wanted to make sure. If ASU's placement in CA wasn't so dismal, I'd probably highly consider it, but I don't think I could live in AZ. Looks like USD is where I'm headed

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”