Poll: NYU(sticker) vs Penn$ vs Duke $$ vs Cornell $$$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

NYU (sticker)
17%
Penn ($45k)
24%
Duke ($72k)
17%
Cornell($120k)
43%

Total votes: 115

Re: Poll: NYU(sticker) vs Penn$ vs Duke $$ vs Cornell $$$$

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:34 pm

Image Image

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:I wonder if anybody has this chart handy....there's one out there with schools broken down to show firm hiring + clerkships and all the different categories. It was an awfully nifty chart. I have no recollection of where it is anymore though. The data on that sucker is probably old too though.

It's nice because if you just look at those NLJ charts, it looks like Yale sucks...which is obviously the wrong conclusion. Clerkship hiring is relevant because many of the top students go to clerkships and rack up nice bonuses for their troubles when they start.

Someone did one but they include 2009 NLJ data with 2008 clerkship data. I'm not sure if 2009 clerkship data is out yet.

yeah not that one. there's one that was done either by NALP or by some magazine or something. it was pretty nicely done.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:38 pm

awesomepossum wrote:I wonder if anybody has this chart handy....there's one out there with schools broken down to show firm hiring + clerkships and all the different categories. It was an awfully nifty chart. I have no recollection of where it is anymore though. The data on that sucker is probably old too though.

It's nice because if you just look at those NLJ charts, it looks like Yale sucks...which is obviously the wrong conclusion. Clerkship hiring is relevant because many of the top students go to clerkships and rack up nice bonuses for their troubles when they start.

I think I remember seeing data for 2011-2012 clerkship hiring data thus far. IIRC, Cornell was getting obliterated by the likes of Duke and Penn.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:41 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

I think I remember seeing data for 2011-2012 clerkship hiring data thus far. IIRC, Cornell was getting obliterated by the likes of Duke and Penn.

This seems expected. T12 schools are generally going to outplace schools from lower tiers.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:43 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

This seems expected. T12 schools are generally going to outplace schools from lower tiers.

I think I may have meant 2010-2011? Either way, it should have been a year newer than what is typically cited as the newest. And I do remember being impressed by how well UPenn, Michigan, and Duke were doing and how poorly Cornell was doing.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:52 pm

Helmholtz wrote:This seems expected. T12 schools are generally going to outplace schools from lower tiers.

I think I may have meant 2010-2011? Either way, it should have been a year newer than what is typically cited as the newest. And I do remember being impressed by how well UPenn, Michigan, and Duke were doing and how poorly Cornell was doing.[/quote]

Yeah I'm being e-sarcastic with the T12 thing. I think Cornell and GULC got bumped harder from the recession because their classes don't disperse as much. They're good schools that should rebound well in the coming years. Also, no-offers or deferrals could also have tanked clerkship data if top performers were trying to go to firms in NYC instead of clerkships. By the time the no-offer came down at the end of the summer it could have been too late to get in the game for a lot of clerkship hiring. The amount of judges that strictly adhere to the OSCAR system is lower than one would think, and many of them do their hiring in the late summer anyhow.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:11 pm

ITT DF battles TF for T13 vs T12 world domination.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:27 am

Desert Fox wrote:ITT DF battles TF for T13 vs T12 world domination.

You're going down, Fox. T12 is more elitist so it's definitely going to win a TLS battle.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:40 am

Cornell DOES have crappy clerkship placement. Mostly because in the past students really weren't interested in that - they all just went BigLaw. Apparently Career Services has been working really hard on fixing it because of the c/o 2009 no-offer situation caused issues.

garrett09

Postby garrett09 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:43 pm

Paying sticker at NYU when you have tens of thousands of dollars at a comparable school would be difficult, but if you're set on NYC BigLaw and you aren't very debt averse, it's not insane. Also, if you really like NYC and think you'd do well there, it might be a good choice.

The Duke and Cornell money wouldn't tempt me much personally, but I want to go to law school in a city where things feel bustling, things are happening, there are more internship (or at least networking) opportunities. I also don't put huge stock in rankings, but they're significantly below NYU. I figure most people who got into NYU got some $$ from Duke and Cornell... so it doesn't seem insane to turn it down.

A lot of people really like Penn. It's small, in a city but not an overwhelming place, and seems tight-knit. It's safely top 10 and has been for awhile, it's Ivy, and you get a 45k discount. If you like Penn and think it's a place where you could do really well, this would be my choice.

But a lot of good options- congrats on a great cycle!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”