Help! Georgetown vs UMichigan Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GULC vs UMichigan

GULC
21%
Michigan
79%

Total votes: 71

pandas0088

New

Help! Georgetown vs UMichigan

Post by pandas0088 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Does anyone have any advice on GULC vs UMich?

These are basically my concerns:

Rank: I am worried about GULC's #14 rank (vs. UMichigan's higher #9 rank); however GULC is ranked #3 in international law, which is what I think I was to focus on.
School Experience: My other fears are things like GULC's huge class size and UMichigan's very small town.
Location: Lastly, I love DC, and will probably live in a city (probably east coast) after I graduate, but Michigan's campus atmosphere was also very nice. How could this affect job prospects?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts!

starstruck393

Silver

Re: Help! Georgetown vs UMichigan

Post by starstruck393 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:07 pm

GULC is a degree factory (huge). If there's a T14 to fear being at median at, or maybe even middle third, (God forbid below), it's GULC. Michigan isn't small, and there are upsides to a bigger school (I think Michigan is around the right size) but especially in a bad economy, a class size as large as GULC will definitely hurt you. For instance, you'd be looking at an OCI firm/student ratio of closer to 1:1 at GULC, whereas Michigan is typically closer to 2:1. Things like that.

Don't get your hopes up for Int law, it's a tiny field, and you need top grades to get it. Specialty rankings are meaningless, and I'd be pretty confidant that pretty much any Int law position you could get from GULC you could get from Michigan with a similar class rank. I really don't think the same can be said in reverse.

Michigan has an awesome atmosphere, and if you like it, it can make for a great three years before you head to a big city. Michigan places well pretty much wherever you would want to go. It almost definitely places better in NYC, Boston, Philly, etc, and I've even heard it said that because of relative size, even DC firms will go deeper into a class at Michigan. If you decide you want a Midwestern or West Coast firm, like in Chicago, LA or San Francisco, Michigan definitely has the edge. Like I said, Michigan typically has a great OCI, so don't worry about Ann Arbor affecting job prospects.

Honestly, the only thing that I could see maybe pushing to GULC's favor, if you didn't like the feel at Michigan, would be significant money, but you didn't indicate that was the case. If costs are similar, I'd say definitely Michigan...

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:01 pm

I am a GULC student, and I would tell you to go to Mich (assuming no money involved).

It's not about rankings per-se, but Mich does have a slightly more "elite" reputation in the legal field that will work to your advantage. I wouldn't worry about international law rankings- they are pretty silly anyways.

I will say that the "degree factory" thing is an over-repeated meme. GULC is still about the size of your average liberal arts college. If you want a degree factory, look at a giant state school. GULC still offers a fairly personal and intimate educational experience if you want it.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:11 pm

I think there might also be less direct competition at Michigan because there's more diversity in the markets people seek to go to. 70% of GULC ends up in either NY or DC. I don't have the corresponding UM stats here, but my impression is that it's more diverse here in terms of destinations.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:00 pm

I'm in the same position as the OP. what about for PI/Gov't?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Washington D.C. should have better internship opportunities for area of your interest.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:16 pm

PI/government might tip a bit more towards GULC.

MidlawMyth

New

Post by MidlawMyth » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:19 pm

pandas0088 wrote:Does anyone have any advice on GULC vs UMich?

These are basically my concerns:

Rank: I am worried about GULC's #14 rank (vs. UMichigan's higher #9 rank); however GULC is ranked #3 in international law, which is what I think I was to focus on.
School Experience: My other fears are things like GULC's huge class size and UMichigan's very small town.
Location: Lastly, I love DC, and will probably live in a city (probably east coast) after I graduate, but Michigan's campus atmosphere was also very nice. How could this affect job prospects?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts!
wow. just wow.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:32 pm

nealric wrote:
PI/government might tip a bit more towards GULC.
On the other hand, how many GULC grads that aren't getting biglaw are now aiming for prestigious government work in D.C. instead? There are two sides to this (as with any) coin - just something to consider.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splinter23x

New

Post by splinter23x » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:48 pm

The international law specialty ranking is a joke, as others have pointed out. Go to Michigan, you'll have far less competition for dc jobs there.

pandas0088

New

Post by pandas0088 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:06 pm

Thank you for all your responses, they've been really helpful!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:14 pm

It appears that [strike]nine[/strike] eleven people from the Michigan WL have voted in this poll so far.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:22 pm

Helmholtz wrote:It appears that nine people from the Michigan WL have voted in this poll so far.
:lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pandas0088

New

Post by pandas0088 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

If Georgetown throws in 10k a year, should that make a difference?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:17 pm

pandas0088 wrote:If Georgetown throws in 10k a year, should that make a difference?
In my opinion, $30k is not enough to compensate for the differences between GULC and Michigan, especially when you compare it to the $200k law schools is going to eventually cost pre-interest.

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:24 pm

$10k will barely take care of the COL difference between living in DC vs Ann Arbor. Faced with a choice between GULC and Mich, I would just go to Michigan.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:28 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:$10k will barely take care of the COL difference between living in DC vs Ann Arbor. Faced with a choice between GULC and Mich, I would just go to Michigan.
+1 If you had some compelling reason to stay in DC on an intention to work only there after school, maaaybbbe 10K from Gtown would be worth it. But given your circumstances, it is a really easy call to make.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”