Regretting your deposit decision?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
doomed123

Regretting your deposit decision?

Postby doomed123 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:04 pm

Is anyone else feeling a bit of buyer's remorse now that deposit deadlines have passed? I feel like I may have made the wrong the decision, and I'm considering asking the school I didn't deposit at if I could change my mind. Is that a crazy thing to do?

legalease9

Re: Regretting your deposit decision?

Postby legalease9 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:05 pm

Are you past the other schools deadline?

lawfuture10

Postby lawfuture10 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:08 pm

^ what he said. Some schools won't allow it, will claim they have moved on and given your spot away.

I put down a deposit somewhere, but am still waiting on seven other schools decisions. I have also not ruled out another school that I am visiting this weekend ($$). Not to mention the 3 WL's I'm already sitting on........ So, unfortunately, I am far from being through with this process that I intended to be done with by April 15.

I guess my point is, a deposit does not necessarily end this process.

doomed123

Postby doomed123 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:10 pm

legalease9 wrote:Are you past the other schools deadline?

Yes. That would be the problem. But since it's only a postmark deadline, and it was just a couple days ago, I'd imagine that they haven't given the seat away yet. Don't they have to wait a few days for deposits to actually arrive?

longroad

Postby longroad » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:16 pm

i was in your position not too long ago. call the school who's deposit deadline you missed first thing in the morning tomorrow. be polite, kind, and extremely apologetic. don't make it sound like you previously disliked their school or their new rankings. don't mention anything negative. ask to pay the deposit immediately and tell them that you want to attend there next year.

if you act like a somewhat decent human being on the phone, i can almost promise that we're not far enough past anyone's "deadline" for them to deny you. since they liked you enough to admit you, i can almost promise they will be ecstatic you came around. it helps their yield too. good luck.

ps: the school let me deposit and even gave me more time. i will not disclose the school's name.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:17 pm

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:38 pm

longroad wrote:i was in your position not too long ago. call the school who's deposit deadline you missed first thing in the morning tomorrow. be polite, kind, and extremely apologetic. don't make it sound like you previously disliked their school or their new rankings. don't mention anything negative. ask to pay the deposit immediately and tell them that you want to attend there next year.

OP - Please tell me you're not feeling regret due to the new rankings.

doomed123

Postby doomed123 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:40 pm

longroad wrote:i was in your position not too long ago. call the school who's deposit deadline you missed first thing in the morning tomorrow. be polite, kind, and extremely apologetic. don't make it sound like you previously disliked their school or their new rankings. don't mention anything negative. ask to pay the deposit immediately and tell them that you want to attend there next year.

if you act like a somewhat decent human being on the phone, i can almost promise that we're not far enough past anyone's "deadline" for them to deny you. since they liked you enough to admit you, i can almost promise they will be ecstatic you came around. it helps their yield too. good luck.

ps: the school let me deposit and even gave me more time. i will not disclose the school's name.

Thanks for the advice.

doomed123

Postby doomed123 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:41 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:

OP - Please tell me you're not feeling regret due to the new rankings.

All the schools I was considering stayed in exactly the same spot as they were before. So no, that has nothing to do with it.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:43 pm

I am. When I made my deposit they requested that I withdraw my other admits, which I did. But I wish I hadn't. I wish I'd had more time to think about it.

doomed123

Postby doomed123 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:46 pm

Hey-O wrote:I am. When I made my deposit they requested that I withdraw my other admits, which I did. But I wish I hadn't. I wish I'd had more time to think about it.

Yeah, the deadline came just five days after my last ASW. More time to let everything sink in would really have helped.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:32 pm

No, no regrets on my end at all. Just waiting on the wait lists is killing me. :shock:

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Gatriel wrote:No, no regrets on my end at all. Just waiting on the wait lists is killing me. :shock:

WL's are evil. :)

doomed123

Postby doomed123 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:52 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
Gatriel wrote:No, no regrets on my end at all. Just waiting on the wait lists is killing me. :shock:

WL's are evil. :)

+1

I'm pretty much ignoring my waitlists. I don't like the idea of having to completely change direction just a few weeks before classes start.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:53 pm

No waitlists and no regrets here. Just remember that in the grand scheme of things your deposit money isn't that big of a deal.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:59 pm

If I were on the fence between GWU/Fordham...I'd jump ship

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:00 pm

thickfreakness wrote:No waitlists and no regrets here. Just remember that in the grand scheme of things your deposit money isn't that big of a deal.

+1

When tuition most places is over 30k a year, I think you should spend an extra 500 if it buys you enough time to feel comfortable with the decision

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:01 pm

thickfreakness wrote:No waitlists and no regrets here. Just remember that in the grand scheme of things your deposit money isn't that big of a deal.

+1. I don't think anyone here is gonna squabble of the $300 -> $1500 in deposit money they may lose.

I'm pretty much ignoring my waitlists. I don't like the idea of having to completely change direction just a few weeks before classes start.

Yeah, it is aggravating. I believe the only people who would be willing to wait till mid-July to change schools are those who have been wait listed at super stretch schools. (like myself)

Oh well. Why can't I find a lolcats picture for patience?

EDIT:

--ImageRemoved--

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:42 pm

I can't speak to law schools, but, the advice about calling them seems spot on. That's what I did in undergrad and the school was more than happy to take me, about a month after the deposit deadline. In the end, I wound up not going anyway, but with such a big decision, it's hard not to question your decision.

As for regret. I don't know. I'm going to the best school I got into. They gave me a decent amount of money. I should be ecstatic, but I find myself rather 'meh.' Perhaps because it's the same place I went to for undergrad, and I was really hoping for a change. Still, it's not like I had any better options (rankings wise or money wise), so, what are you gonna do? Sometimes you have to settle. I still consider myself lucky that at least I'm going to a grad school. 3 of my friends with far better grades than me got rejected by all the schools they applied to in their respective fields. For some, this was even worse, because they got rejected by what amounted to their second choice programs. One wanted to go to medical school, didn't score high enough on the MCAT, applied to Anesthesiology Assistant programs (yes, assistant) and still got rejected.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”