IU-Indianapolis vs Cincinnati

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

IU Indy or Cin?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:26 pm

IU Indianapolis
9%
Cincinnati
91%

Total votes: 11

apathetic

IU-Indianapolis vs Cincinnati

Postby apathetic » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:26 pm

I've narrowed my list down to two schools (probably) and I was all ready to make my decision but now I'm not sure.

I got a 163 LSAT and have a 3.45 gpa. I live in Indiana and plan to work for the Indiana state goverment after law school but would be willing to work for the Ohio state goverment or federal goverment if I can't get a job here. I also live in a county in Indiana that actually qualifies me for in-state tuition at Cincinnati (bizzare I know.)

Anyway, I went to an open house at Cincinnati two days ago and was really pleased and interested in their program (Indy's open house was OK I guess) and I had made up my mind that I would apply to Cin on Monday. But when I got home I checked my email and IU-Indy is offering me a $7,500 a year scholarship. The worst good thing that could have happened. As I calculate it IU-Indy will cost me 11,300 a year in tuition and fees and Cin will cost 21,000 unless they offer me something later.

Indy is located where I want to work and has some cool externships and clinics but few people get them. Cin does a lot more work making sure everyone gets the work experience they need but it is out of the state. Right now I think my resume is my biggest weakness in the job market so this stuff really matters to me.

Lastly there is the whole Big school vs Small school thing and I'd certainly like a small school after 4 years of ananimity in a Big one.

So the question is, "Is Cincinnati worth the extra $10,000 a year?" Any advise or insights would be welcomed.

firebreathingliberal

Re: IU-Indianapolis vs Cincinnati

Postby firebreathingliberal » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:38 pm

I'm going to Cincinnati so hopefully I can help a bit.

Cincy has one of the smallest law schools in the country and one of the best student-teacher ratios as well. The student body there is very close and especially within 1L sections. I was able to attend a couple SBA events and they were a lot of fun and everyone knew each other. That, for me, was the biggest selling point over Case Western which was the other school I was considering.

Cincy is ranked in the top 10 in the country for gov/public interest placement according to National Jurist. I also want to go into gov/PI.

You might still get a scholarship offer from them with your numbers. I got 6500/year and my numbers are 161/3.4. I'm not sure with you applying late but you can ask admissions if there is a possibility for scholarship offers. They are really nice there. I would recommend just calling them and explaining the situation and seeing what the possibility is of getting scholarship money from them.

Idk what the COL is in Indy but you can live pretty well on like 17k for 12 months there.

If you want to work in Indy gov't then you can just get your summer jobs in Indy and you would be fine getting a job there.

Cincy has a bunch of opportunities to be involved in cases as early as year one (UC Traffic Court) where you can get very basic litigation skills.

I don't know much about IU-Indy but hopefully what I know about Cincy can help. PM me if you have any more Qs about Cincy.

Edit: I voted for Cincinnati

nick637

Postby nick637 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:55 pm

cincy. reciprocity rules

Matlock31

Postby Matlock31 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:37 pm

Cinci - Sounds like you already have the geographical ties established if you want to go back to Indy. Cinci will present opportunities in OH as well.

mommamia

Postby mommamia » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:45 pm

IU - Indy all the way!!!! If your first choice for employment is Indiana government, then you should go to IU-Indy. IU-Indy is located in downtown Indy-in the state capital. They have excellent contacts within the government - likely some of the best in Indiana due to the very nature of their location. It is a beautiful school too. Though Cinci has a higher rank, they are both city schools. Outside TLS, people would think of them as equivalent.

firebreathingliberal

Postby firebreathingliberal » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:04 am

mommamia wrote:IU - Indy all the way!!!! If your first choice for employment is Indiana government, then you should go to IU-Indy. IU-Indy is located in downtown Indy-in the state capital. They have excellent contacts within the government - likely some of the best in Indiana due to the very nature of their location. It is a beautiful school too. Though Cinci has a higher rank, they are both city schools. Outside TLS, people would think of them as equivalent.

I would say that inside TLS they are considered equivalent. The recent trends on the forum have been to downplay the significance of the rankings outside T-20~. So I would say most people on here would tell you to take w/e school you like more since there are only a few differences in terms of the quality of education you will receive and employment opportunities.

mommamia

Postby mommamia » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:42 pm

I would disagree. Here on TLS rankings are very important. People on the outside would compare Cinci and IU-Indy as similar schools - one is in Indianapolis and the other in Cincinnati. If you want to work in Indianapolis, especially in government, then you need to choose Indianapolis. Cincinnati really isn't an option for this career choice. Furthermore, Cincinnati is not even in the state capital of Ohio (like Indianapolis is of Indiana). Being located in the state capital is a great asset if you want to do internship and look for summer employment.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”