Kent refuses to take no for an answer (Kent $$$ v try again)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should PlugInBaby do?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:55 pm

Take the Kent offer
44%
Try again and let it ride!
56%

Total votes: 32

TCScrutinizer

Re: Kent refuses to take no for an answer (Kent $$$ v try again)

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Take the ITT Chicago-Kent College of Law offer and if you do well your first year & are unhappy, then transfer. Earlier today I posted rankings combining USNews scores with National Law Journal large firm placement results. Although I did not include ITT Chicago-Kent in the list of the top 48 law schools, it would have ranked forty ninth (49th) as I noted in a later post. Even though large law firm placement is not a primary objective for you, obviously employers respect this law school.

Wait... does ITT Tech have a law school? Did I miss something? If its ITT tech I'd stay away and re-take.

IIT. A respectable school in Chicago.

I think the TT was a subliminal slip.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:17 pm

I'm certainly leaning toward turning down the offer and retrying. The only worry is having to explain the year of unemployment (or not..some schools don't bother asking) in the next cycle. However with a better LSAT score and a far improved PS and earlier applications I would think I'd be in a much better position to have a more successful cycle than last.

How much do I need to worry (if I even have to worry) about that gap in my resume?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:26 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:I'm certainly leaning toward turning down the offer and retrying. The only worry is having to explain the year of unemployment (or not..some schools don't bother asking) in the next cycle. However with a better LSAT score and a far improved PS and earlier applications I would think I'd be in a much better position to have a more successful cycle than last.

How much do I need to worry (if I even have to worry) about that gap in my resume?

Find a job doing something in the mean time.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:I'm certainly leaning toward turning down the offer and retrying. The only worry is having to explain the year of unemployment (or not..some schools don't bother asking) in the next cycle. However with a better LSAT score and a far improved PS and earlier applications I would think I'd be in a much better position to have a more successful cycle than last.

Find a job doing something in the mean time.

Better yet, find a job doing nothing .

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:04 am

Maybe I missed something - did you apply to Seattle University? It seems like your numbers should get you some money form Seattle U.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:19 am

Case2L wrote:Maybe I missed something - did you apply to Seattle University? It seems like your numbers should get you some money form Seattle U.

I did apply to Seattle U and got waitlisted. This is only my speculation but I think some schools find it easier to YP those with a criminal record (and perhaps someone who lives a fair distance away).

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:36 am

Retake the LSAT if you feel you can improve by three or more points IMO. Otherwise, Kent is a respectable school and you have a decent offer there.

I wouldn't worry about the employment gap. I spent the nine months between undergrad and application season rather unproductively. The vast majority of schools didn't inquire about my activities during the downtime.

As for the criminal record, I feel that can make your cycle very unpredictable. I centered my application theme around my involvement with the criminal justice system (Dad was under investigation, IRS-CID crashed through my door, I visited him in prison 50+ times, I represented him in IRS administrative appeals, so on). It's a red herring for some adcomms, but other schools will see the value of your unique perspective. Some of my safeties outright rejected me and I feel my risky PS was the issue, but others schools gave me a more than fair shake. Just a matter of how well you explain your background.

yeff

Postby yeff » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:54 am

Schools seem to care a lot more about your LSAT than the length of your unemployment.

What are you scoring consistently on recent practice tests?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:56 am

Here is what I'd do if I were you.

Get a job doing whatever you can. I don't care if its road construction.

Deposit at Chi-Kent. Study your ass off for June.

Get 166-168. Then apply ED at Northwestern, and on the application you'll be able to put 1 year work experience upon matriculation.

If in June you don't do better take the money and go to school.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Here is what I'd do if I were you.

Get 166-168. Then apply ED at Northwestern, and on the application you'll be able to put 1 year work experience upon matriculation.

+1

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:19 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:

+1

+2

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:05 pm

TITCR, but I'd feel most comfortable with a 170 at least for NU.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:27 pm

I have decided not to deposit at Chicago-Kent. With the mistakes I made in the application cycle, I knew I couldn't be satisified with any of my remaining options even if my LSAT score does not improve (which I find highly unlikely). I just have to redo my cycle completely and this time learn from my mistakes.

Will be looking for full time work shortly after the LSAT....now I am afraid of Target YPing me.

As for where I will apply next time around...that all depends on the score I get...doubt I would ED at Northwestern though considering how high their sticker price is (as compared to U of Washington which has a much much lower sticker price and I would prefer Seattle anyway). Maybe an ED at Chicago if I knock the LSAT out of the park.

Thanks for the input all!

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:32 pm

Good luck. I'm sure it will work out.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:37 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:Kent refuses to take no for an answer

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:40 pm

You made the right decision. If you're not going to be content at Kent, no reason to deposit.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”