Kent refuses to take no for an answer (Kent $$$ v try again)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should PlugInBaby do?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:55 pm

Take the Kent offer
44%
Try again and let it ride!
56%

Total votes: 32

PlugInBaby

Kent refuses to take no for an answer (Kent $$$ v try again)

Postby PlugInBaby » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:55 pm

Current stats: 3.77/161 (Retaking LSAT in June)

Wants in career: I do not care about size of law but rather the kind of law. My interests include constitutional law, veterans advocacy, ex-offender advocacy, "alternative lifestyles" law (contracts and advocacy for GLBTQI, polyamorous, S&M, etc). I hope to explore these fields while in law school and then get an idea of which ones I enjoy doing the most. In terms of location I favor Seattle, Chicago, and St. Louis in that order.

Scenario: I was very certain I wanted to try again next cycle since I feel that I didn't apply to a wide enough array of schools as I focused too narrowly on location and ranking (favoring Seattle and Chicago) in addition only applying to 3 schools in November and a panic application to 3 more in February. In addition I felt there were a myriad of things I could have done far better on my applications from my personal statement, criminal addendum, and the timing of my applications. I felt I made too many mistakes this cycle to be certain that I want to go to any school that I applied to (with the exception of U-Dub, but I was dinged and that's a moot point).
Kent was my only outright acceptance so far. Their initial offer was a choice between 20k a year provided a 3.25 GPA (10k with 3.0) or 12k w/no strings. I sent a withdrawal notice and the tuition deadline came and went. Tonight I just got an email from Kent upping the ante: full ride for first year and 25k each subsequent year as long as i have 3.25 GPA (12.5 with 3.0) or 20k w/no strings. This is a really good offer and I am getting a little familial pressure to take it, but I am inclined to pass it up. First of all I am sure I can get at least 166 on the upcoming LSAT; putting me in position for more money and better schools. Second of all, although Kent is a solid school that I have a lot of respect for, I don't think I would be too satisfied with settling for Chicago-Kent considering my application errors and small sample of schools to compare to. The 161 score will always be there and I think it stands to reason that even without LSAT improvement an improved application can offer me the same offer from Kent the next cycle, that time with a larger array of schools to compare with. Then again, this is a LOT of money.

In a very Ron Popeilesque gesture, they extended the tuition deposit deadline a week for this special limited time offer. I am leaning toward passing it up, but...yeah...that is quite an offer.

Thoughts? Opinions? Insights?

nick637

Re: Kent refuses to take no for an answer (Kent $$$ v try again)

Postby nick637 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:06 pm

If your sure you can get a higher LSAT then I would not hesitate to decline this offer. But you need to be consistently scoring higher than 161. If there is any doubt in your mind that you will not get a higher score I think you should take the money and run.

Edit: don't waste this gpa retake

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:18 pm

Retake.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:55 am

Anybody clever enough to make a Ron Popeil joke is capable of getting better than a 161, and anyone lame and tv-obsessed enough to make a Ron Popeil joke is going to make a great law student.

Retake OP, I hope I see you at Illinois in 2 years.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:16 am

I would say retake and retry...it doesn't sound like you're super intent on necessarily heading off to law school super-immediately. I agree with your assessment that you have little to lose and tons to gain -- especially with that great GPA. Also, three cheers for poly/BDSM advocacy interests. :D

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:37 am

I forget, are you making money in the meantime? If so, do you like your job?

If yes to the last two questions, retake. If no to either, go to school on the cheap.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:06 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:I forget, are you making money in the meantime? If so, do you like your job?

If yes to the last two questions, retake. If no to either, go to school on the cheap.

Yeah I haven't had ANY luck finding work since I graduated college in May of 2009. Fortunately I have been living the 16 year old's life of room, board, and allowance as I study for the LSAT and search for work. Stopgap work has been really difficult to find...even most volunteer work is too costly when considering no income and travel expenses involved in volunteering.

I rather resent being a victim of circumstance and part of me feels that taking the Kent offer is giving into being a victim of circumstance; taking it because I supposedly have nowhere else to go. Despite the deal I can't help feel like I am settling for something inferior when I didn't give myself the chance to achieve something greater.

It does sound like I have made my decision, but Kent is still not a school to sneeze at...and this is quite the offer. I suppose I still want opinions and insights.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:10 am

Not really sure how this works, but...

Can you accept this offer, still take the LSAT and see what you get, and (should you get a much better score) turn down the Kent offer? You'd still need to find something to do for that ensuing year.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:23 am

mdallavis wrote:Not really sure how this works, but...

Can you accept this offer, still take the LSAT and see what you get, and (should you get a much better score) turn down the Kent offer? You'd still need to find something to do for that ensuing year.

Good question.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:46 am

Sounds like your parents want your unemployed mooch ass out of their house. 8)

I would take the offer, but that has nothing to do with you.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:56 am

Desert Fox wrote:
mdallavis wrote:Not really sure how this works, but...

Good question.

Hmm...I'm actually very interested in the answer, since I took good money from a school, am retaking the LSAT in June, and would turn down their offer if the score was significantly higher.

I guess the difference between me and the OP (I'm assuming) is that I have a professional certification and could likely find a job for the next year, although I'd hate it.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:09 am

Not going to lie, DF, I was sort of hoping you'd have some sort of answer for this.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:13 am

mdallavis wrote:Not going to lie, DF, I was sort of hoping you'd have some sort of answer for this.

I don't think there is a universal answer. Several schools have a binding scholarship. But most don't. I assume Kent doesn't. And if that is true, she can deposit (likely putting her own money on the line) and then just withdraw if she gets a 166 or better.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:19 am

I would assume most non-T1 schools would not be binding (I hope). My undergrad sucked, and my first LSAT was disappointing, so hopefully the June one will be better. Sounds like the OP wants something very different from what Kent offers - if so, two options:

1) Retake the LSAT, hope for much better, reapply in the fall

2) Accept at Kent, work your ass off, hope to end up top-5%-ish, look to transfer

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:21 am

mdallavis wrote:I would assume most non-T1 schools would not be binding (I hope). My undergrad sucked, and my first LSAT was disappointing, so hopefully the June one will be better. Sounds like the OP wants something very different from what Kent offers - if so, two options:

[strike]2) Accept at Kent, work your ass off, hope to end up top-5%-ish, look to transfer[/strike]

Option 2 should never be an option because it's not viable.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:26 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:
mdallavis wrote:I would assume most non-T1 schools would not be binding (I hope). My undergrad sucked, and my first LSAT was disappointing, so hopefully the June one will be better. Sounds like the OP wants something very different from what Kent offers - if so, two options:

2) Dance topless, get pregnant, regret life decisions

Better?

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:01 pm

mdallavis wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:

2) Dance topless, get pregnant, regret life decisions

Better?

I suppose I can do both...but topless dancing? There isn't much to see.....

Part of me just doesn't know what would hurt more...a possible additonal year of unemployment or settling for a school when I know that with some changes in my application I can probably do much better (even without LSAT improvement).

toolfan

Postby toolfan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:05 pm

That is one hell of an offer. Make the initial deposit and take the June LSAT. I'm in a similiar situation with Kent. I feel like I can do much better on the LSAT, but we all know that story. I don't think the second deposit is due until mid July - more than enough time for you to receive your June LSAT score and make your decision.

If your top 1/5 or 1/4 from Kent, you stand a good chance to transfer to UIUC. Shit, take that free first year and then see where you stand.
Last edited by toolfan on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:06 pm

Thirteen wrote:Retake.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:06 pm

Take the ITT Chicago-Kent College of Law offer and if you do well your first year & are unhappy, then transfer. Earlier today I posted rankings combining USNews scores with National Law Journal large firm placement results. Although I did not include ITT Chicago-Kent in the list of the top 48 law schools, it would have ranked forty ninth (49th) as I noted in a later post. Even though large law firm placement is not a primary objective for you, obviously employers respect this law school.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:16 pm

If you like Kent a lot, go there. If it's just about getting out of the house, buckle down and retake. With that GPA (and even with that LSAT, though a better one would open a lot of doors) you deserve better. Unless you have a strong background or interest in tech and are shooting for IP, C-K is not your best choice. Suck up your pride, get a job at Burger King and do some volunteer work, write a PS about it, get a 170 on your next LSAT, and enjoy your scholly at UIUC or NU.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:16 pm

Retake. Minorities need good advocates.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:30 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Take the ITT Chicago-Kent College of Law offer and if you do well your first year & are unhappy, then transfer. Earlier today I posted rankings combining USNews scores with National Law Journal large firm placement results. Although I did not include ITT Chicago-Kent in the list of the top 48 law schools, it would have ranked forty ninth (49th) as I noted in a later post. Even though large law firm placement is not a primary objective for you, obviously employers respect this law school.

Wait... does ITT Tech have a law school? Did I miss something? If its ITT tech I'd stay away and re-take.

Bucky83

Postby Bucky83 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:39 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Take the ITT Chicago-Kent College of Law offer and if you do well your first year & are unhappy, then transfer. Earlier today I posted rankings combining USNews scores with National Law Journal large firm placement results. Although I did not include ITT Chicago-Kent in the list of the top 48 law schools, it would have ranked forty ninth (49th) as I noted in a later post. Even though large law firm placement is not a primary objective for you, obviously employers respect this law school.

Wait... does ITT Tech have a law school? Did I miss something? If its ITT tech I'd stay away and re-take.

It's IIT, Illinois Institute of Technology.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Blindmelon wrote:

IIT. A respectable school in Chicago.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”