Realistic job prospects- Miami vs Seton Hall vs RU- Camden

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gdane

Re: Realistic job prospects- Miami vs Seton Hall vs RU- Camden

Postby gdane » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:04 pm

I meant amazingly well in the sense that there are people on here with the "T14 or you cant get biglaw" mentality and the fact that Miami isnt even "tier 1" yet places at least 10% of their grads in Biglaw is pretty amazing. Im sure its more than 10% since it seems that every attorney down here that works at holland and knight is from UM. Im sure there are plenty more at the other big firms here. Plus, UM has a large class size so 10% can be a lot of people going into biglaw.

People love UM down here. Thats a fact. People literally idolize UM and their graduates get preferential treatment when it comes to employment. So, if you want to have the best shot of getting a well paying job out of the listed schools, UM is the best.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:05 pm

How is the academic atmosphere at these schools.? I know Miami seemed somewhat competitive, not extremely but then again law school always is a challenge. Seton Hall I've heard is extremely cut- throat because the good jobs only seem to go to the top 10-15%. I dont know much about Camden.

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:21 pm

You should really check out the 14 page Rutgers-Camden thread. There is a lot of really good information in there, especially later in the thread.

I'm sure you'll do this, but I'd really recommend visiting each school as there is a ton of misinformation on these boards.

Do a search on this board for Miami. It seems, with the new rankings came a new attitude towards the school.

splinter23x

Postby splinter23x » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:53 pm

Miami is a good school in a market that surprisingly few T14's apply to (surprising to me given that it's pretty much the best place on earth). NJ/NY gets overwhelmed by the T14, so forget Seton Hall (I'm not saying the Hall is a bad school, just in an insufferably competitive market). Philly is not terribly competitive so Rutgers is solid given its lower cost than Miami.

Postby 270910 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:55 pm

gdane5 wrote:I meant amazingly well in the sense that there are people on here with the "T14 or you cant get biglaw" mentality and the fact that Miami isnt even "tier 1" yet places at least 10% of their grads in Biglaw is pretty amazing. Im sure its more than 10% since it seems that every attorney down here that works at holland and knight is from UM. Im sure there are plenty more at the other big firms here. Plus, UM has a large class size so 10% can be a lot of people going into biglaw.

ITT: gdane5 gets into a fight with statistics; loses.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:10 pm

TBF - this is just one of those "justify my choice for me and tell me the other schools all suck" threads. eagles wants to go to Miami and he wants us to tell him that Miami will give him better prospects than the other schools.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:39 pm

I already said I was leaning Miami but I'm not trying to bash the other schools by any means. I just heard from many (especially this site that seton hall is a bad buy). Camden I'm sure offers solid prospects in Philly that compare well with Villanova, Temple.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:44 pm

splinter23x wrote:Miami is a good school in a market that surprisingly few T14's apply to (surprising to me given that it's pretty much the best place on earth). NJ/NY gets overwhelmed by the T14, so forget Seton Hall (I'm not saying the Hall is a bad school, just in an insufferably competitive market). Philly is not terribly competitive so Rutgers is solid given its lower cost than Miami.

That really does about sum it up...Miami is a good school in a great market, but expensive. Camden is also a good school in a more saturated market, but a better buy overall. I'd say that really is about as well as you can say it - after that, the choice pretty much comes down to where you want to be/what you want to do (clerkships at RU, etc.)

Informative

Postby Informative » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:05 am

If you want to work in Florida, go to Miami.
If you want to work in NJ, go to RU/SetonHall.

It is going to be difficult to hit up the Northeast coming from Miami, at least until you have years of experience. The same holds true for trying to practice in Miami from RU/Seton Hall. Probably more so in Miami, as Miami is very suspicious of out-of-staters trying to enter its market.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:10 am

Probably more so in Miami, as Miami is very suspicious of out-of-staters trying to enter its market.[/

Ehh, debatable. Its a much less saturated market, so they are actually much more used to it than say, someone from Baylor trying to go to Philly. Many of the associates in my uncles firm came from northeast schools, albeit ranked higher than Rutgers (BC, Fordham, Syracuse being the exception)...though I do agree that it is much easier to break into the market being from S. Florida and attending the Miami's and FIU's, a school with a big name like Rutgers does not mean you are cut out of a unsaturated market like Miami.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:28 am

I meant amazingly well in the sense that there are people on here with the "T14 or you cant get biglaw" mentality and the fact that Miami isnt even "tier 1" yet places at least 10% of their grads in Biglaw is pretty amazing. Im sure its more than 10% since it seems that every attorney down here that works at holland and knight is from UM. Im sure there are plenty more at the other big firms here. Plus, UM has a large class size so 10% can be a lot of people going into biglaw.

People love UM down here. Thats a fact. People literally idolize UM and their graduates get preferential treatment when it comes to employment. So, if you want to have the best shot of getting a well paying job out of the listed schools, UM is the best.

http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414empl ... trends.pdf

Well, you can be sure, and you can be wrong. Miami places 8% in biglaw firms.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:39 am

I know people on here feel the need to argue every little thing. Its annoying, youse arent lawyers yet.

In any case, that chart is 5 years old. Plus, as far as I know those results are survey based and less than 50% of people responded. Having lived in Miami for 6 years now, I've gotten a first hand look at things. I know the charts and lists and pies say otherwise, but Miami dominates the legal market down here. What I like to do is look at the attorney directories at Biglaw firms. You'll be surprised at who went where and how many of those people work iin Biglaw.

All im saying is that the job prospects will be better in Miami for the original poster.

Good luck!

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:55 am

gdane5 wrote:I know people on here feel the need to argue every little thing. Its annoying, youse arent lawyers yet.

+ 1,000,000,000

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:46 pm

I know Miami doesnt have great placement in the northeast but they seem to have a solid alum base up here. Probably more alums in the northeast than the non- Florida south.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:03 pm

The reason for that is because, believe it or not, not a lot of people from Miami actually go to UM. Its mostly rich kids from the northeast. The dorms are filled to capacity and there waiting lists because there are so many out of state kids. Go to the parking lot outside the dorms and you'll see a lot of NY, NJ, MD, CT license plates. Its funny because you go to UM and you'll see a lot of white kids, but the truth is that thats not very representative of Miami at all.

I know this is the case for UG, not too certain how the law school is.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:16 pm

The South FL kids there are probably more from Palm Beach, Broward. How do medium sized firms in South Florida pay?

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:44 pm

Also...i know someone whos considering seton hall and im trying to talk him out of it. It's like playing against the odds and hoping you can be in the top 15%

Postby 270910 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:59 pm

eagles86 wrote:Also...i know someone whos considering seton hall and im trying to talk him out of it. It's like playing against the odds and hoping you can be in the top 15%

But you'll be great at Miami with its EPIC 8% placement into big law?

To the people talking about Miami dominating Miami: it's a matter of statistics. Just because the TOP of UM's class gets big law in Miami (and they do) doesn't mean the school itself places a respectable percentage of its grads there. Flipping through the bios will show you UM grads at big firms in Miami - most with high Latin honors, and still not ENOUGH grads to actually account for the vast, vast majority of the graduating class at the law school.

Going to LS, kicking ass, and getting a big firm job is a wonderful option available at almost any of the 200 law schools in the country - it's just hard to plan on given the competition.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:17 pm

I dont even want biglaw...im talking more about local, medium sized firms. Most firms arent in the NLJ250! But who doesnt love elitist jerks on here? It's so nice to know that if i dont get NYC Biglaw my life is a failure.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”