Help me choose: Rutgers-Newark vs. New York Law School...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pro100r

Help me choose: Rutgers-Newark vs. New York Law School...

Postby pro100r » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm trying to decide between Rutgers-Newark and New York Law School. Even though NYLS offers scholarship Rutgers is still cheaper. Any thoughts and experiences would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

bludvl_prelaw

Re: Help me choose: Rutgers-Newark vs. New York Law School...

Postby bludvl_prelaw » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Rutgers-Newark, no question.

They're not NYU, but they place fairly well in the NYC metro area, especially for a school ranked toward the bottom of T2.

Job prospects at NYLS will blow unless you're one of the top five or so PEOPLE in your class, and even then, nothing's guaranteed.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:25 pm

Rutgers by a LOT. Please please do NOT go to NYLS, it is a terrible school with awful job prospects.

mwazaumoja

Postby mwazaumoja » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:22 pm

Also, don't sleep on the amount of jobs available in Jersey that are staffed almost completely by Rutgers and Seton Hall grads.

My friend plans on interning in Jersey for my 1L summer (because he's a Jersey), and the job is staffed almost exclusively by grads from both of the schools (though he is from a Manhattan law school). A large amount of prosecutors in the New York suburbs (Essex County, Hudson County, Bergen County) graduated from Rutgers. Then there are the Jersey law firms, which have starting salaries over 100k, which have a large bias towards Jersey law school grads (and there are only three law schools in NJ all of equal reputation).

You'll be far better off careerwise, and have plenty of job opportunities if you're willing to live and work in NJ. I would certainly recommend going to Rutgers. NYLS won't give you those opportunities, and will rather make you feel like a small fish in a big pond.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:29 pm

Rutgers. This is not even close. NYLS could offer you a free ride and I'd still say go to Rutgers. It's a solid, respectable school with some good job prospects. NYLS is not.

thrillhouse

Postby thrillhouse » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:49 pm

Rutgers by leaps and bounds. Even if it was more expensive (and I know it isn't), you should still pick Rutgers. I know at least 50 lawyers (mostly in the public sector) in NJ and only 2 didn't go to Rutgers or Seton Hall.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:53 pm

I think you see where this is going.

Thread/

Abrikos

Postby Abrikos » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:57 pm

Rutgers

Return to “Choosing a Law School”