UPenn vs. UCLA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CAGoldenState

UPenn vs. UCLA

Postby CAGoldenState » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:01 pm

Hey all!

I am trying to choose between UPenn and UCLA. Both gave me about 25k a year and both seem to have happy staff, students, and profs. I am stressed about the CA budget crisis on one hand and moving far from home and living through three winters on the other. Any advice anyone might have would be greatly apreciated. I think I may resort to darts if I can't make up my mind soon!

Thanks!

voice of reason

Re: UPenn vs. UCLA

Postby voice of reason » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:22 am

You can't go wrong choosing Penn. But if you want to practice in California, esp. southern California, then UCLA should be fine.

thelawguy777

Postby thelawguy777 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:40 am

IMHO Penn is demonstrably better than UCLA. I am trying to decide between Chicago/Stanford right now, if I had to put a 3rd place, it would be Penn.

I personally am not overly impressed by all the UCLA cheerleading, however, if you are not overly worried about big law and want to practice in Cali for sure for sure... Then I would consider UCLA.

Wooster33

Postby Wooster33 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 am

CAGoldenState wrote:Hey all!

I am trying to choose between UPenn and UCLA. Both gave me about 25k a year and both seem to have happy staff, students, and profs. I am stressed about the CA budget crisis on one hand and moving far from home and living through three winters on the other. Any advice anyone might have would be greatly apreciated. I think I may resort to darts if I can't make up my mind soon!

Thanks!

It would depend on your career goals, IMO. Most people are going to say Penn easily, but depending on your career goals it might be a closer call. Do you want big law? Do you want to do goverment or PI work in CA? Do you want more options later in career? Do you want a better chance at academia? At a similar cost, I would say the easy choice is Penn. But I don't know how important staying in CA is to you. That's a personal thing. Other things being equal, Penn is the clear choice. That's about all we can tell you.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:39 pm

Penn, especially if you want to leave the baking, polluted, overpriced cesspool that is LA.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:43 pm

thelawguy777 wrote:I personally am not overly impressed by all the UCLA cheerleading

poor choice of words
--ImageRemoved--

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:58 pm

I would tell you to stay close to home, but I would also be a little freaked out by the budget crisis.

Here's what I would try. Tell UCLA about your Penn scholly, ask them if they will either (a) up your scholarship (which to be competitive, they ought to do), but if not (b) tie your scholarship to the inflation of tuition.

That way, if all of the sudden they start charging 60K to go to UCLA, you won't be affected.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”