Northwestern vs. Georgetown

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Northwestern vs. Georgetown

Northwestern
76%
Georgetown
24%

Total votes: 126

SaintClarence27

Re: Northwestern vs. Georgetown

Postby SaintClarence27 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Dignan wrote:Holly,

Tough choice. There's no clear answer for you. Point by point:

"I want PI, and ideally international stuff."
Edge: Georgetown, mainly because of its DC location.

"Location after school is not super important, though I do want my degree to be portable."
Edge: Tie. Both degrees are similarly portable. Georgetown has a bigger alumni network, which might give you more options in a few more markets.

" I feel like NY and DC are the two main markets for what I want to do"
Edge: Georgetown, particularly for DC.

"Oh, and I wouldn't mind clerking if possible."
Edge: Northwestern. NU places a higher percentage of its class into federal clerkships, and a significantly higher percentage into COA clerkships.

This sounds like a cliche, but you should go to the school that you would be happiest at. Be sure to visit both schools and talk to as many current students as you can. Good luck.

Thanks for the input, those are basically my exact sentiments. I'm trying to do more comparisons before I make my final decision, but it keeps ending up in a tie! Not a bad decision to have to make, but a tough one nonetheless.

My only suggestion is that if you end up at GULC, it would be super-cool of you to pull some strings and get me your spot at NU.
(Seriously, though, NU is way cooler. The clerkship opportunity is a big one, at least for me.)

amolson04

Postby amolson04 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:05 pm

Hi all,

I have the same question. NU at sticker, or GULC w/10k/yr?

Things I like/am interested in:
Constitutional law
Public interest
International opportunities
Clerking (already know that I will do pretty much anything in order to clerk)
Going to school with other people who have been out of UG for awhile

I'm flexible as to where I live after graduation.

What other factors should I be considering? I was just going to mail my GTown deposit today, and then I got the email from NU ... So I'm sort of freaked out.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:18 pm

amolson04 wrote:Hi all,

I have the same question. NU at sticker, or GULC w/10k/yr?

Things I like/am interested in:
Constitutional law
Public interest
International opportunities
Clerking (already know that I will do pretty much anything in order to clerk)
Going to school with other people who have been out of UG for awhile

I'm flexible as to where I live after graduation.

What other factors should I be considering? I was just going to mail my GTown deposit today, and then I got the email from NU ... So I'm sort of freaked out.

The bolded makes me think that you'd love it at NU.

amolson04

Postby amolson04 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:25 pm

Yes, definitely - when I visited I really liked the older vibe at NU. But, I have been wondering how that affects the social life at the school - is it like, everybody goes home to their SO at the end of the day? or is there a significant number of unattached people?

alaskaman

Postby alaskaman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:13 pm

Bump -- I have the same decision, only it's Gtown P/T+amazing job in the area (and maybe transfer after the first year to full time) vs. Northwestern and leaving the job on the table.

The job is diplomacy-related, but I do want to be able to "be a lawyer" and have a shot at clerkship/Biglaw with the future chance of lateraling back and forth between govt/diplomacy and private sector.

I'm afraid that Gtown P/T, even with the job, will hurt me with biglaw and brand me a govt/diplomacy person only. But the opportunity is so hard to turn down and GULC has a good reputation, right? I also don't know 100% if this is what I want to do.

Thoughts?

amolson04

Postby amolson04 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:53 pm

alaskaman wrote:Bump -- I have the same decision, only it's Gtown P/T+amazing job in the area (and maybe transfer after the first year to full time) vs. Northwestern and leaving the job on the table.

The job is diplomacy-related, but I do want to be able to "be a lawyer" and have a shot at clerkship/Biglaw with the future chance of lateraling back and forth between govt/diplomacy and private sector.

I'm afraid that Gtown P/T, even with the job, will hurt me with biglaw and brand me a govt/diplomacy person only. But the opportunity is so hard to turn down and GULC has a good reputation, right? I also don't know 100% if this is what I want to do.

Thoughts?

I'm a little concerned about this too. I also hear that a huge number of people at GULC are competing for govt positions, which might mean that a well-qualified candidate from NU might be more unique and thereby more attractive ? I really have no idea, it's just pure speculation.

alaskaman

Postby alaskaman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:17 pm

agreed -- i've gotten all sorts of info about their placement, especially ITE. Heard stories of some in the top third not getting jobs, and median and below sometimes not even getting 40k doc review. Not sure if having alternative work experience will help or perhaps even hurt. Also thinking at this point about paying both deposits to give me more time, but that's an expensive proposition...

amolson04

Postby amolson04 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:48 pm

yes, very expensive. where are you getting your info on placement?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:13 pm

fwiw, GULC's huge class size is one thing that pushed me into NU's loving arms.

alaskaman

Postby alaskaman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:25 pm

amolson04 wrote:yes, very expensive. where are you getting your info on placement?

Current students, mostly. Seems like all the NU people I talk to have gotten the jobs they want, and all the GULC kids have settled for government after striking out at biglaw.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:18 pm

alaskaman wrote:
amolson04 wrote:yes, very expensive. where are you getting your info on placement?

Current students, mostly. Seems like all the NU people I talk to have gotten the jobs they want, and all the GULC kids have settled for government after striking out at biglaw.
I know this is an exaggeration because an unemployed NU 3L posts on this board. The employment situation seems to be noticeably better for NU than GULC, and Chicago is probably easier to break into than DC, but even Harvard has its share of the unemployed. Don't assume any school is a safe zone.

But Northwestern is better if your goal is just biglaw.

worldpiece17

Postby worldpiece17 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:20 pm

DC has a New York attitude with Chicago's small town feel= very small town with very crabby people.

Or as JFK more eloquently put it- "Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm."

Hence, this Gtown undergrad just sent in her seat deposit to Northwestern.

amolson04

Postby amolson04 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:27 pm

After three or four nerve-wracking days, I decided on Northwestern! Good luck to those of you here who are still pondering ...

michaellikesit

Postby michaellikesit » Wed May 05, 2010 10:25 pm

Ditto. See you at Northwestern.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed May 05, 2010 10:41 pm

Hijack time.

Here's the thing: GULC is the "lowest" of the t14, but it is still a t14, which means it is one of 14 truly national schools. According to some on this thread, it is like D.C. or bust. Are you trying to tell me that one cannot find work in L.A. or Houston from Georgetown? If so, that would indicate that the school is not truly national and DF's "top 12 or 13" or whatever is true. National or not? The funny thing is, GULC gets less respect than like UCLA/UT/Vandy on here. It's weird how this whole tier thing works. It's like, UCLA/UT/Vandy are the "Yale" of the non-t14 and GULC is the "Cooley" of the t14. Yet, doesn't GULC crush UCLA, for example?

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:48 pm

A'nold wrote:Hijack time.

Here's the thing: GULC is the "lowest" of the t14, but it is still a t14, which means it is one of 14 truly national schools. According to some on this thread, it is like D.C. or bust. Are you trying to tell me that one cannot find work in L.A. or Houston from Georgetown? If so, that would indicate that the school is not truly national and DF's "top 12 or 13" or whatever is true. National or not? The funny thing is, GULC gets less respect than like UCLA/UT/Vandy on here. It's weird how this whole tier thing works. It's like, UCLA/UT/Vandy are the "Yale" of the non-t14 and GULC is the "Cooley" of the t14. Yet, doesn't GULC crush UCLA, for example?

GULC is the Yale of Law Centers.

GULC is national, but it terms of raw placement it falls short. I'm convinced if GULC shaved off 200 seats in their class, they'd be just as much of a big law powerhouse as MVPBDNC. But as of now, its chokes on a surplus of grads.

I'd go to GULC over Vandy, unless I wanted the south.

The Invisible Man

Postby The Invisible Man » Wed May 05, 2010 10:52 pm

depends on:
1.) where you would like to practice/live
2.) financial aid/scholarship offers
3.) which school fits into your future plans/goals

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed May 05, 2010 10:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

GULC is national, but it terms of raw placement it falls short. I'm convinced if GULC shaved off 200 seats in their class, they'd be just as much of a big law powerhouse as MVPBDNC. But as of now, its chokes on a surplus of grads.

I mean, say I hit a hail mary and am freaking lucky as hell and get into GULC as a transfer. Mickey D's D.C. for me?

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:56 pm

A'nold wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I mean, say I hit a hail mary and am freaking lucky as hell and get into GULC as a transfer. Mickey D's D.C. for me?

Please? With all those UVA grads. Taco Bell at best buddy.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed May 05, 2010 10:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Please? With all those UVA grads. Taco Bell at best buddy.

Well, you know what though? I've been there before guy. I've seen the bottom of the barrel and I'm bouts to transfer. I can work my ass all the way up to part-time cashier at T-Bell and transfer my way over to Mickey Ds' weekend janitorial department. I'll show you you cocky sunobitch.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 05, 2010 11:05 pm

Within the past few days a book was released that ranked the top ten cities for recent college graduates. The top ranked city was Chicago, followed by San Francisco & Seattle. Atlanta, Georgia was tenth. I don't recall the list of factors considered but being ranked number one is a positive.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed May 05, 2010 11:06 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Within the past few days a book was released that ranked the top ten cities for recent college graduates. The top ranked city was Chicago, followed by San Francisco & Seattle. Atlanta, Georgia was tenth. I don't recall the list of factors considered but being ranked number one is a positive.

Then chalk me up to a complete failure.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 05, 2010 11:11 pm

Gradspot.com's Guide To Life After College

Top Cities For College Grads:

1) Chicago
2) San Francisco
3) Seattle
4) New York City
5) Boston
6) Denver
7) Houston
8) Los Angeles
9) Washington D.C.
10) Atlanta

Sorry, but I didn't write down the criteria.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu May 06, 2010 3:23 am

Here's the thing: GULC is the "lowest" of the t14, but it is still a t14, which means it is one of 14 truly national schools. According to some on this thread, it is like D.C. or bust.[

I think that's almost backwards. GULC is a national law school. It's arguably more of a national school than NU.

GULC's main problem is that is can't place well enough in its home market. As others have pointed out, GULC is a huge law school with a ton of grads. Many of those grads are trying to find jobs in a home market that is also targeted by the top grads of every T10 school. And there's another huge law school in DC (GW) that is ranked not far below GULC.

NU, by contrast, is a relatively small school that is located in a less competitive (but still desirable) legal job market. I think it's considerably easier for a median NU grad to find a job in Chicago than it is for a median GULC grad to find a job in DC. To the extent that NU is a better bet for law school than GULC, it's largely due to the schools' respective regional job markets. I don't think that national reach or reputation is much of a factor.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu May 06, 2010 3:26 am

Dignan wrote:

Here's the thing: GULC is the "lowest" of the t14, but it is still a t14, which means it is one of 14 truly national schools. According to some on this thread, it is like D.C. or bust.[

I think that's almost backwards. GULC is a national law school. It's arguably more of a national school than NU.

GULC's main problem is that is can't place well enough in its home market. As others have pointed out, GULC is a huge law school with a ton of grads. Many of those grads are trying to find jobs in a home market that is also targeted by the top grads of every T10 school. And there's another huge law school in DC (GW) that is ranked not far below GULC.

NU, by contrast, is a relatively small school that is located in a less competitive (but still desirable) legal job market. I think it's considerably easier for a median NU grad to find a job in Chicago than it is for a median GULC grad to find a job in DC. To the extent that NU is a better bet for law school than GULC, it's largely due to the schools' respective regional job markets. I don't think that national reach or reputation is much of a factor.

Yeah, but what if you want to work in, say, Seattle/Portland/San Fran? GULC should place out there, right?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”