W&L/Illinois/WUStL

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

???

UIUC
39%
WUStL
52%
W&L
9%

Total votes: 23

blawblawblaw

W&L/Illinois/WUStL

Postby blawblawblaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:01 am

W&L 6k/year
Illinois 10k/year
WUStL Sticker

1) Where would you go if you had international law in mind?
2) As far as the law school experience goes and disregarding career goals, where would you go and why?

romothesavior

Re: W&L/Illinois/WUStL

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:04 am

blawblawblaw wrote:W&L 6k/year
Illinois 10k/year
WUStL Sticker

2) As far as the law school experience goes and disregarding career goals, where would you go and why?

Disregarding career goals is not a wise move in choosing a law school.

blawblawblaw

Postby blawblawblaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:09 am

romothesavior wrote:
Illinois 10k/year
WUStL Sticker

Two separate questions entirely... I just wanted some feedback about what people thought about each of the schools as far as the law school experience/atmosphere was concerned. I'm interested in international law but don't want to find myself pigeonholed into it. Besides that, I know all three of these schools have really similar job placements so that's not going to be a HUGE factor in deciding between the three.

Forgot to mention in the first post- I've lived in the same place for my whole life so I'd be ok with living pretty much anywhere in the US for a few years for the experience alone. But I would love insight on these schools placement regions and some perspective from other people considering the schools I mentioned.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:17 am

blawblawblaw wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Illinois 10k/year
WUStL Sticker

Two separate questions entirely... I just wanted some feedback about what people thought about each of the schools as far as the law school experience/atmosphere was concerned. I'm interested in international law but don't want to find myself pigeonholed into it. Besides that, I know all three of these schools have really similar job placements so that's not going to be a HUGE factor in deciding between the three.

Forgot to mention in the first post- I've lived in the same place for my whole life so I'd be ok with living pretty much anywhere in the US for a few years for the experience alone. But I would love insight on these schools placement regions and some perspective from other people considering the schools I mentioned.

Alright, well I can't speak to W&L, but I am very familiar with UIUC and WUSTL. Both are very laid back and friendly environments, and it seems like the professors there are open and accessible to the student body.

I got into both and am choosing WUSTL over UIUC, despite a full tuition offer at Illinois. Champaign is okay I suppose, but it is just your typical college town and I'm looking for more of an urban setting. I'm tired of living in central Illinois, to be quite honest.

From what I've gathered, international law is a very competitive and small field. I'd be less concerned with getting pidgeonholed in it than I would be about just getting a job in it. However, if you are really set on that field, check out WUSTL's TLP program. http://law.wustl.edu/tlp/

blawblawblaw

Postby blawblawblaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:23 am

Thanks for the info bout that program... Congrats on the full ride! I guess the choice comes down to small town vs. college town vs. small city.

Decisions :?

Bucwild

Postby Bucwild » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:04 am

I'm attending Wash U (over UIUC), and I still voted UIUC because

1) Follow the $

2) I still don't know what "International Law" means, so I'm gonna guess it doesn't exist

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:21 am

I voted for UIUC, I am also attending UIUC.

I liked their international law program. Over all, the law school seems to have several strong programs and no particular signature program.

I am an attorney in Mexico, I worked in International Private Law and have always been fascinated by International Law. Which Bucwild will learn does exist. However, you will learn that a side form public international law (the law regarding the relations between nations) international law has a very strong national component.

As an example, if you do international family law, you must be an expert in your state's family law and then learn how to apply that to foreign parties or nationals whose legal acts where performed abroad. You must also be an expert in civil procedure since you will apply foreign law but still take the cases to the local courts.

Basically choosing a school with a strong overall program is just as important as their international law program.

On the other hand if your real interest is public law or diplomacy, none of your options are the best and I would suggest foolowing your education with an LL.M at Fletchers, NYU, Georgtown, etc...

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:09 pm

Well if you care about having a fun experience at law school, then W&L is out the window. I have no idea why anyone goes there.

Between Illinois and WUSTL you're looking at very similar schools in terms of career prospects. Illinois has the advantage of a bigger alumni base in Chicago, but that's a real competitive market, whereas WUSTL has big boy status in STL.

In terms of environment, I am biased since I am a 1L at Illinois, but I think the environment is fantastic. The people are great, the professors are great, and while people who criticize Champaign for being a small town are right, but its still a real fun college town type of atmosphere.

I would take Illinois. /trolling

Return to “Choosing a Law School”