explain to me how Fordham is not a top 30 law school Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hithere

Bronze

explain to me how Fordham is not a top 30 law school

Post by hithere » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:51 pm

The students at Fordham clearly have demonstrably better numbers than some of the schools in the top 30 (e.g. Wisconsin). How is Fordham ranked so low?

Columbia Law

Bronze

Re: explain to me how Fordham is not a top 30 law school

Post by Columbia Law » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:53 pm

A lot of people think it's because of its parTTT TTTime class.

splinter23x

New

Post by splinter23x » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:12 pm

To me it says that US News fudges rankings. Iowa and Indiana have putrid 25% LSATS, under 160! Worse, Indiana's acceptance rate is a sad 32% (compared to Fordham's 22 and BC's 20), and Iowa's is an absolutely appalling 44%. How can these be top 30 schools? They are easy to get into, which means that students don't want to go there. The rankings are a joke and no one should pay attention to them. Honestly, no other school in the entire top 50 comes anywhere close to Iowa's 44% acceptance rate, and they are ranked 28.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:14 pm

hithere wrote:The students at Fordham clearly have demonstrably better numbers than some of the schools in the top 30 (e.g. Wisconsin). How is Fordham ranked so low?
NYC employmenTTT

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Um, perhaps because thats where it came out according to the raw score it received when USNews and World Report weighed the data? People act as though they aren't free to disagree with one set of rankings, and it frankly baffles me. Fordham is not a top 30 law school *according to USNews* because, well, they said so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:21 pm

The more important question: Why does it matter?

If you didn't crack T-14 and you want NYC, Fordham is probably your best bet. Don't let US News tell you differently.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:The more important question: Why does it matter?

If you didn't crack T-14 and you want NYC, Fordham is probably your best bet. Don't let US News tell you differently.
+1
splinter23x wrote:To me it says that US News fudges rankings. Iowa and Indiana have putrid 25% LSATS, under 160! Worse, Indiana's acceptance rate is a sad 32% (compared to Fordham's 22 and BC's 20), and Iowa's is an absolutely appalling 44%. How can these be top 30 schools? They are easy to get into, which means that students don't want to go there. The rankings are a joke and no one should pay attention to them. Honestly, no other school in the entire top 50 comes anywhere close to Iowa's 44% acceptance rate, and they are ranked 28.
Actually Iowa is ranked 26. The reason they rank better than Fordham is reputation. Which is the biggest part of the rankings. It makes sense, in principle, when you think about it. A school should be measured more by the quality of students they produce than the quality they accept.

That being said only 65% of law schools send back the survey for peer assessment (25% of the rankings), which puts Iowa close to 20, and only 21% of judges and lawyers return the survey for the other assessment (15% of the rankings) which puts Iowa at 17. Also Iowa sends lawyers to over 30 states every year, the same as Yale, so their reputation is further reaching than Fordham, who concentrates its graduates in NY. Iowa doesn't and can't do that because there aren't enough jobs in Iowa, so they have a large alumni network outside of the state, and that helps when surveys are sent out nationally.

So the surveys are probably not the best way to measure what type of student a university produces. But its weighted more because it should matter more than who a school accepts.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:32 pm

MoS wrote:
romothesavior wrote:The more important question: Why does it matter?

+1
splinter23x wrote:To me it says that US News fudges rankings. Iowa and Indiana have putrid 25% LSATS, under 160! Worse, Indiana's acceptance rate is a sad 32% (compared to Fordham's 22 and BC's 20), and Iowa's is an absolutely appalling 44%. How can these be top 30 schools? They are easy to get into, which means that students don't want to go there. The rankings are a joke and no one should pay attention to them. Honestly, no other school in the entire top 50 comes anywhere close to Iowa's 44% acceptance rate, and they are ranked 28.
Actually Iowa is ranked 26. The reason they rank better than Fordham is reputation. Which is the biggest part of the rankings. It makes sense, in principle, when you think about it. A school should be measured more by the quality of students they produce than the quality they accept.

That being said only 65% of law schools send back the survey for peer assessment (25% of the rankings), which puts Iowa close to 20, and only 21% of judges and lawyers return the survey for the other assessment (15% of the rankings) which puts Iowa at 17. Also Iowa sends lawyers to over 30 states every year, the same as Yale, so their reputation is further reaching than Fordham, who concentrates its graduates in NY. Iowa doesn't and can't do that because there aren't enough jobs in Iowa, so they have a large alumni network outside of the state, and that helps when surveys are sent out nationally.

So the surveys are probably not the best way to measure what type of student a university produces. But its weighted more because it should matter more than who a school accepts.
That's probably a great explanation for it. Something like 90% of Fordham students stay in NYC, so a lot of people are probably not all that familiar with it.

Plus Iowa won the Orange Bowl. HTH

BruinsFan

Bronze

Post by BruinsFan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:36 pm

Couldn't the public vs. private factor contribute to the lower admissions standards? If they school is required to take a certain percentage of in-state students, then they will take them regardless if they scored a 150 or a 170.

That doesn't address the percent admitted, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”