McGeorge $$$ vs. USF; WL in Santa Clara & Brooklyn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

McGeorge v. USF

Poll ended at Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:06 pm

McGeorge w/ $$
100%
USF
No votes

Total votes: 7

lancerlot

McGeorge $$$ vs. USF; WL in Santa Clara & Brooklyn

Postby lancerlot » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:06 pm

Just wondering which school people will pick. My current situation:

McGeorge UoP with $18k vs. USF

WL in Santa Clara and Brooklyn.

*I am thinking of dropping out of Brooklyn soon since I'm more interested in practicing in CA. Strong preference for staying in the Bay Area, but McGeorge's money and cheap living is hard to pass up....

Interest: Business Litigation/International Law

thanks in advance :lol:

eth3n

Re: McGeorge $$$ vs. USF; WL in Santa Clara & Brooklyn

Postby eth3n » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:17 pm

If this isn't a flame, I would say McG definitely, although its still a risky choice.

Is that 18k per year? Does it have strings? Do you have any lower ranked schools that have offered you more money?

Let me give this to your straight, rank will make NO DIFFERENCE at the level of schools you are applying to. You should focus on MINIMIZING DEBT and the LEGAL MARKET of the school. Both of these factors give the nod to McG in your situation, although ITE, McG may not place as well as it used to in Sac, as Davis students are getting pretty desperate. You are going to be paying a lot of money for a VERY SMALL CHANCE at actually getting a job. I would be prepared to drop out if you don't excel.

lancerlot

Postby lancerlot » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:48 pm

Yeap, 18k/yr @ McGeorge + 1 yr books. The only string is to remain in top 1/3 of the class. I used my 20k/yr scholarship from GGU to negotiate this amount, so I'm pretty pleased with the result (staff and faculty from McGeorge have been prompt and friendly too, compared to my interaction with USF staff so far).

Frankly, I dont think that will pose a problem for me. I think I had enough work experience and training with local Bay Area attorneys to know that I can do well in law school.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:31 am

Take the money.

lancerlot

Postby lancerlot » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:16 pm

a simple search on the forums shows there's alot of ppl on the same boat too haha..

I will be taking the money soon unless something big turns up last minute. Time to take of this weight on my shoulder finally

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:02 pm

eth3n wrote:If this isn't a flame, I would say McG definitely, although its still a risky choice. You are going to be paying a lot of money for a VERY SMALL CHANCE at actually getting a job. I would be prepared to drop out if you don't excel.

WTF?!?

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:04 pm

Depends on your level of aversion from debt, you goals.

I was in the same boat as you, but my scholarship was changed a bit. I'm picking McGeorge, but I really wanted to pick USF (and I think I would have had things not been changed).

eth3n

Postby eth3n » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
eth3n wrote:If this isn't a flame, I would say McG definitely, although its still a risky choice. You are going to be paying a lot of money for a VERY SMALL CHANCE at actually getting a job. I would be prepared to drop out if you don't excel.

WTF?!?

I don't think what I said, when taken in its entirety, was overly harsh. And this is honestly how I feel, I would not be in law school now if I was forced to pay full price outside of t14, or if I had a 1/3 contingent scholly (all scholly kids in same section? gg), the risk is just too high. If he really wants to go to law school he will go to law school, but at least he will be more prepared for what the risks are, and possibly work harder because of that knowledge.
Last edited by eth3n on Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:36 pm

eth3n wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:

WTF?!?

Sorry that may have been a little harsh, you are getting a decent amount of tuition at McG as long as you maintain 1/3, I just don't want to feel guilty if the guy ends up paying last two years and full price and then is unable to find a job. The common knowledge that McG takes Davis's leftovers in Sac doesn't seem to be as accurate as it once was, although I am sure there are still firms/government positions who love McG for personal reasons. Its the economy.

The economy sucks, but certainly McGeorge students who do well can get jobs in Sacramento. I think about 1/3rd of Davis students get work in Sacramento, the rest go elsewhere, and they don't graduate enormous classes.

It's just funny that people seem to feel so inclined to say this kind of thing about certain schools (and McGeorge isn't in a terrible position, if you are a well-performing student) but not others that have similar difficulties.

The economy is tough. The legal field is tough. This is across the board.

sizzle04

Postby sizzle04 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:37 pm

what if you get off the Santa Clara WL with no $??

lancerlot

Postby lancerlot » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:35 pm

if I do get of SCU's WL, it would be tough. I like the school's international program and campu, but I'd still be leaning toward Mcgeorge...

anyone got a different outlook?

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:34 pm

Go to McG, consider dropping out if you lose the scholarship. Top third is tough, even at a lower-ranked school. Only go if you're comfortable with working in Sacramento.

Fair warning, McGeorge is in an area of Sac that's a little rough. Campus feels okay, but the surrounding neighborhood is not great (lots of really tall chain fences). Supposedly students say not to park there at night.

FYI McGeorge does offer some scholarships with no GPA strings.

Even if you get into Santa Clara, I'd probably take the money at UoP. Cheaper COL, obviously cheaper tuition, job prospects broadly comparable (except for IP out of SCU, which is not you).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”