Georgetown or wait a year? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

Attend Georgetown with $ this year
10%
Attempt to defer at Georgetown and work for a year
55%
Work for a year and reapply next cycle
35%

Total votes: 20

asvart

New

Georgetown or wait a year?

Post by asvart » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:36 pm

I recently started a new job where the salary is pretty decent, around 60k. I was planning on going to law school this fall, but now I am not so sure. I don't have much work experience so I feel as though putting off law school for another year would offer me a good chance to really get a feel for what it will be like to work in an office all day. Plus it would bolster my resume for OCI. My best option is Georgetown with a quite small scholarship. Do you guys think I should a) just attend this fall, b)attempt to defer at Georgetown until next year and work this year, c)work this year and reapply to some of the top schools that waitlisted or rejected me knowing that my resume will be stronger and the competition may be less fierce next cycle?

de5igual

Silver

Re: Georgetown or wait a year?

Post by de5igual » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:39 pm

asvart wrote:I recently started a new job where the salary is pretty decent, around 60k. I was planning on going to law school this fall, but now I am not so sure. I don't have much work experience so I feel as though putting off law school for another year would offer me a good chance to really get a feel for what it will be like to work in an office all day. Plus it would bolster my resume for OCI. My best option is Georgetown with a quite small scholarship. Do you guys think I should a) just attend this fall, b)attempt to defer at Georgetown until next year and work this year, c)work this year and reapply to some of the top schools that waitlisted or rejected me knowing that my resume will be stronger and the competition may be less fierce next cycle?
what are your #s?

if you barely got into GULC this year (i.e., lsat 170, ok gpa), then defer and work the extra year. Keep in mind you'll probably lose the scholarship.

if you had stronger numbers and feel confident that you could get into GULC among other schools next year (i.e., lsat above the schools' medians, above median gpa), then withdraw (and come up with a good reason) and re-apply when you're ready

no real reason to jump in the game this cycle unless you really want to keep that scholarship

night06

New

Post by night06 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:40 pm

I would defer. It would be nice to earn some money and work experience, while not having to worry about the uncertainty of the whole application process all over again.

asvart

New

Post by asvart » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:43 pm

172-174 lsat, 3.2-3.4 gpa

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:47 pm

asvart wrote:172-174 lsat, 3.2-3.4 gpa
gotcha...

i'd defer in that case...unless you want northwestern next year

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

asvart

New

Post by asvart » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:47 pm

also im 26 so i kinda wanted to do law school soon, and was thinking of applying to Northwestern where the students are a bit older.

night06

New

Post by night06 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:48 pm

asvart wrote:also im 26 so i kinda wanted to do law school soon, and was thinking of applying to Northwestern where the students are a bit older.
From what I hear, Curriculum B at Georgetown skews to the older crowd.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:50 pm

asvart wrote:also im 26 so i kinda wanted to do law school soon, and was thinking of applying to Northwestern where the students are a bit older.
Reapply next year to NU.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:50 pm

Work & attend Georgetown part-time or wait & see if you can get into Northwestern next year. An especially attractive aspect of attending law school at Northwestern is that the age & experience of the law students really cuts down on the amount of silly classroom discussion you will encounter at most of the other Top 14 law schools.
Plus the setting & location of NU's School of Law is amazing. Mature thinking, lower anxieties & sophisticated amenities--although Georgetown also offers much of the same as does Cambridge.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

asvart

New

Post by asvart » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:51 pm

night06 wrote:
hmmm thats interesting. i couldnt find any age data on GULC website, let alone for curriculum B

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:54 pm

rayiner wrote:
Reapply next year to NU.
+1

with a 172-174, 3.0+ gpa and work experience, you're pretty much a shoe-in

night06

New

Post by night06 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:57 pm

asvart wrote:
night06 wrote:
hmmm thats interesting. i couldnt find any age data on GULC website, let alone for curriculum B
Yeah, I haven't seen any data either - this is just anecdotal from people I've spoken to who were in the program, so take it FWIW.

asvart

New

Post by asvart » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:03 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Work & attend Georgetown part-time or wait & see if you can get into Northwestern next year. An especially attractive aspect of attending law school at Northwestern is that the age & experience of the law students really cuts down on the amount of silly classroom discussion you will encounter at most of the other Top 14 law schools.
Plus the setting & location of NU's School of Law is amazing. Mature thinking, lower anxieties & sophisticated amenities--although Georgetown also offers much of the same as does Cambridge.
well PT is out because my jobs nowhere near DC, but thats what I was thinking about northwestern too. Do you know if northwestern tends to give merit funding, and if they do would applying ED be a bad idea?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

asvart

New

Post by asvart » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:07 pm

night06 wrote:
asvart wrote:
night06 wrote:
Yeah, I haven't seen any data either - this is just anecdotal from people I've spoken to who were in the program, so take it FWIW.
yeah i figured as much. but that is still good to know. maybe i can sit in on a curriculum b class and count the number of bald spots.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:14 pm

Northwestern University School of Law has been quite generous in the past few years but I am not sure if it was grant aid money only or also included scholarship merit grants. I do know that of the 850 or so undergraduate schools reporting endowment information annually that Northwestern University ranks number 8 (top one per cent) in terms of total endowment funds (i.e. the school is very,very wealthy). Also Northwestern University's operating expenses are NOT heavily dependent upon payouts from the endowment.
Note that Northwestern Law is the only law school in the country that interviews each applicant, although the Univ. of Chicago has announced that it intends to follow Northwestern's lead in this area. Harvard Law School recently revamped its curriculum to follow, somewhat, Northwestern's lead with respect to creating more marketable & more practical law school degrees. (Harvard Law announced recently that Constitutional Law would no longer be a first year required course, but, rather, become a second year elective in order to create more practical & marketable law degrees that employers were seeking.)
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

asvart

New

Post by asvart » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:17 pm

Yeah, I haven't seen any data either - this is just anecdotal from people I've spoken to who were in the program, so take it FWIW.[/quote]

yeah i figured as much. but that is still good to know. maybe i can sit in on a curriculum b class and count the number of bald spots.[/quote]

ps im a dude with a bald spot

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”