Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

Colorado-Boulder
26
47%
Wake Forest
24
44%
George Mason
5
9%
 
Total votes: 55

vendetta2
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:25 pm

Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby vendetta2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:47 pm

Colorado, George Mason, Wake Forest. All of these schools sticker, out-of-state. Money is an issue but not a big issue. let's assume they're all equal, colorado a little cheaper over the long run. I don't have any preference of the region. I am from Georgia, but I have lived all over so I am flexible.

This decision is a tough one to make I need help!

dgsaudio
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:28 am

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby dgsaudio » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:54 pm

What are your career goals? Where do you want to work?

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:06 pm

These are all different places. One doesn't seem inherently better than another unless we know career goals and interest in where you want to spend your life.

vendetta2
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:25 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby vendetta2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:24 pm

I have lived in all of these places and loved them all, so I wouldn't mind settling down in north carolina, dc / va area, or colorado (denver or boulder). As far as career goals, I am interested in a few different diverse areas of law, such as environmental, corporate, family, health. I realize that half of law students who go into law school change what they want to practice anyway. Either way, I want to go to the best school possible with the highest employment prospects / highest salary / low cost of living

Thanks for the replies, by the way.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:35 pm

if you are looking for a low CoL, do NOT go to GM

UGHilbert
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby UGHilbert » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:42 pm

Doesn't Colorado have an excellent environmental law program? Not that it matters that much in terms of employment prospects, but ... if OP is interested in that, it might make for a better law school experience.

Don't go to George Mason.

vendetta2
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:25 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby vendetta2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks for the replies. Anyone else?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:59 pm

I'd make it between Wake and Colorado.

So where do you want to live more, Colorado or North Carolina?

dgsaudio
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:28 am

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby dgsaudio » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:06 am

I don't know what housing costs are in NC, but I was in Boulder this last weekend looking at apartments - Stuff in Boulder is pricey, but it gets cheaper the farther out you go. I found quite a reasonable basement apartment in Boulder, but I think I got lucky.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:15 am

W-S is very cheap.

vendetta2
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:25 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby vendetta2 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:32 am

Thanks for the responses.

I am pretty split between Colorado and Wake at this point. I like the southern feel of Wake Forest / NC in general, but I also like the West-coast mentality of Colorado/ Boulder. Skiing is a plus, too.

I guess my questions are...
1. Which school has better career prospects?
2. Which school has more mobility?
3. Which school is more fun?
4. Which school is harder to get good grades / be at the top of the class?

Answers to these questions would make my decision a lot easier. Any insight on any of this stuff is therefore greatly appreciated. I trust you guys / gals. Help me out! :)

User avatar
ozarkhack
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby ozarkhack » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:51 am

CU.

I'm probably voting only b/c I almost certainly will soon withdraw acceptance from CU, and am kind of sad about it.

Colorado simply offers the best QOL of the bunch (in and after school). And I'd imagine that CU grads enjoy a (slightly) better standing for jobs in their area than grads at your other options. Other than Denver U. (and, of course, T14), CU is only game in town. At WF and GM you'll be competing against the T14 and all the other many schools in the respective regions. You'd still probably be fine, but it does make it tougher.

I'm sure that all 3 would provide a good education and good job prospects, though CU does seem to have a tiny advantage. I imagine degrees from all 3 are just as portable (i.e., not really at all portable) and that it would be equally hard to get good grades at each of them. Also, you'll make fun wherever you go, I'm sure.

So, given that Colorado is too much paradise to pass up and that it probably enjoys a dominance in its market above that of your other choices ... go CU.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby moandersen » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:06 am

vendetta2 wrote:Thanks for the responses.

I am pretty split between Colorado and Wake at this point. I like the southern feel of Wake Forest / NC in general, but I also like the West-coast mentality of Colorado/ Boulder. Skiing is a plus, too.


Did WF give you an extension? Im tired of cold/snow, so I picked WF because it was the warmest of my options. I love rocky mountains though. basically im no help. 8)

vendetta2
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:25 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby vendetta2 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:30 pm

moandersen wrote:
Did WF give you an extension? Im tired of cold/snow, so I picked WF because it was the warmest of my options. I love rocky mountains though. basically im no help. 8)


Yes, Wake gave me a week extension for the seat deposit. I will probably put in seat deposits at both schools to prolong this difficult decision. The warmth of WF does appeal to me. I am from Georgia originally but currently go to school in Boston. I do miss the warmth!

I think it's a good point that CU has less to compete with than GMU (Gtown, American, Maryland, UVa, etc) and WF (Duke, UNC, etc). I have heard that Denver University is becoming more and more dominant in Denver, however, which is a little frightening. I'm sure CU students still do fine there, but DU students are taking more and more of the good jobs. At least that is what I'm told.

All things considered, it seems like I have a slight lean toward CU. From what I understand, I would be able to receive in-state tuition at CU for 2L and 3L. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for the insight and, again, more advice is always appreciated!

User avatar
ozarkhack
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby ozarkhack » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:36 pm

vendetta2 wrote:All things considered, it seems like I have a slight lean toward CU. From what I understand, I would be able to receive in-state tuition at CU for 2L and 3L. Can anyone confirm this?


CU makes it very easy to qualify for in-state residency for 2L-3L. Basically, just get a new driver's license and change voter registration a week or so before school starts THIS YEAR. Maybe a couple other little things. But it's a cinch, supposedly.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby moandersen » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:41 pm

ozarkhack wrote:
vendetta2 wrote:All things considered, it seems like I have a slight lean toward CU. From what I understand, I would be able to receive in-state tuition at CU for 2L and 3L. Can anyone confirm this?


CU makes it very easy to qualify for in-state residency for 2L-3L. Basically, just get a new driver's license and change voter registration a week or so before school starts THIS YEAR. Maybe a couple other little things. But it's a cinch, supposedly.


if this is the case, then CU for sure.

vendetta2
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:25 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby vendetta2 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:00 pm

moandersen wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:
vendetta2 wrote:All things considered, it seems like I have a slight lean toward CU. From what I understand, I would be able to receive in-state tuition at CU for 2L and 3L. Can anyone confirm this?


CU makes it very easy to qualify for in-state residency for 2L-3L. Basically, just get a new driver's license and change voter registration a week or so before school starts THIS YEAR. Maybe a couple other little things. But it's a cinch, supposedly.


if this is the case, then CU for sure.


again, money isn't a huge deal. i'm glad to hear it's an easy process, though. does anyone know how difficult it is to defer a year?

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:05 pm

ozarkhack wrote:CU.

I'm probably voting only b/c I almost certainly will soon withdraw acceptance from CU, and am kind of sad about it.

And I'd imagine that CU grads enjoy a (slightly) better standing for jobs in their area than grads at your other options.

Other than Denver U. (and, of course, T14), CU is only game in town.

[strike]At WF and GM you'll be competing against the T14 and all the other many schools in the respective regions. You'd still probably be fine, but it does make it tougher.[/strike]

Other than UNC (and, of course, T14), WFU is only game in town.


ftfy.

PS, do you actually have any information on any of the schools other than CU?

englishfire3
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby englishfire3 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:12 pm

Going along with pretty much everyone else here, if you're looking for a low cost of living, you won't find it anywhere in Northern Virginia. I'm finishing up my last semester at GMU and have lived in NOVA pretty much my entire life. It's so expensive to live around here. The only plus is that Arlington has a nice night life and plenty of things to do, not to mention being so close to DC..but if those are not a deciding factor for you, don't go to Mason. Oh, and you will rip your hair out because of traffic :)

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby General Tso » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:45 pm

CU if you like the area

it controls a larger share of its regional market than the other 2

User avatar
ozarkhack
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby ozarkhack » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:13 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:CU.

I'm probably voting only b/c I almost certainly will soon withdraw acceptance from CU, and am kind of sad about it.

And I'd imagine that CU grads enjoy a (slightly) better standing for jobs in their area than grads at your other options.

Other than Denver U. (and, of course, T14), CU is only game in town.

[strike]At WF and GM you'll be competing against the T14 and all the other many schools in the respective regions. You'd still probably be fine, but it does make it tougher.[/strike]

Other than UNC (and, of course, T14), WFU is only game in town.


ftfy.

PS, do you actually have any information on any of the schools other than CU?


Fair enough. And, no; I've only researched Colorado. What's your point?

I'd still be willing to wager that CU plays stronger in CO than WF does in NC. WF is still a good school. But it is one of 4 non-T14 schools in NC. Doesn't help that a T14 is in the state, either (about 10% stay in state, it seems). CU, on the other hand, is the top 1 of the only 2 in-state Colorado schools.

And, since it's been requested, the last employment outcomes info I saw had WF performing worse than UNC in terms of BigLaw and govt (about same w/clerkships), while CU outperforms DU in every meaningful way (they are close in govt jobs). I'm pretty sure the data is a few years old, so, for what that's worth.

In any case, OP has some good choices. Good luck to you.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby General Tso » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:34 pm

The small number of big firms in Denver do attract some T14 talent.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:35 pm

ozarkhack wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:CU.

I'm probably voting only b/c I almost certainly will soon withdraw acceptance from CU, and am kind of sad about it.

And I'd imagine that CU grads enjoy a (slightly) better standing for jobs in their area than grads at your other options.

Other than Denver U. (and, of course, T14), CU is only game in town.

[strike]At WF and GM you'll be competing against the T14 and all the other many schools in the respective regions. You'd still probably be fine, but it does make it tougher.[/strike]

Other than UNC (and, of course, T14), WFU is only game in town.


ftfy.

PS, do you actually have any information on any of the schools other than CU?


Fair enough. And, no; I've only researched Colorado. What's your point?

I'd still be willing to wager that CU plays stronger in CO than WF does in NC. WF is still a good school. But it is one of 4 non-T14 schools in NC. Doesn't help that a T14 is in the state, either (about 10% stay in state, it seems). CU, on the other hand, is the top 1 of the only 2 in-state Colorado schools.

And, since it's been requested, the last employment outcomes info I saw had WF performing worse than UNC in terms of BigLaw and govt (about same w/clerkships), while CU outperforms DU in every meaningful way (they are close in govt jobs). I'm pretty sure the data is a few years old, so, for what that's worth.

In any case, OP has some good choices. Good luck to you.



Outdated! NLJ 250 and clerks= Wake. Research fail. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108528

AND who are the four schools wake has to compete against?
Charlotte? Campbell? Are you serious?

They have one school: UNC, as well as the t14. Theres duke, but they are a t14.
Just like Colorado, wake forest has one school to compete against (UNC) + the t14.

that being said, id probably pick colorado if I was op :wink:

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Oh, and while we are looking at nlj 250:
20% of wake grads go there, thats #31 in nation.

Colorado does not make the list, meaning they are somewhere under 13%.

Federal Clerkships viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75513

Wake Forest had 10 federal clerks with a class size of 162.
Colorado had 5 federal clerks with a class size of 162.

Remember UNC (the school that is supposed to be better than wake)?:

UNC had 5 federal clerks with a class size of 262.

But yes, definitly definitly choose colorado!!

vendetta2
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:25 pm

Re: Help me choose! colorado, wake forest george mason

Postby vendetta2 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
But yes, definitly definitly choose colorado!!


sarcasm?

oh, and fwiw, this is really worrying me now. it came to my attention in another thread: http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

if ^ is my goal, should i definitely choose wake over colorado? ahh i thought i was leaning toward colorado, but now im not so sure again.

more suggestions appreciated.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests