Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Poplock
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:46 pm

Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby Poplock » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:09 pm

I've seen quite a few posts that mention a difference in atmosphere or vibe between Columbia and NYU but have never really seen specifics about what that means. I was wondering if anyone could explain the differences between the atmosphere in the two places and how the student bodies differ. I'm aware that questions like this are heavily affected by bias but I still think it'd be interesting to hear about it.

I went to one of the preppiest bro schools there is for undergrad and although I met people here that I get along with I would like to go to a different kind of law school. Not a huge fan of bros.

I'm leaning towards Columbia already because I plan on going into Big Law, specifically patent law, but I'm not set on it yet.

User avatar
radgrad
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:47 am

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby radgrad » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:15 pm

just my take...

Students' Appearance

Columbia: people were very well dressed, often a bit preppier or more fashionable. Saw a lot of leather boots or ballet flats for girls, polos for guys. No one looked overdressed, just very professional and well-put-together.

NYU: many people looked just like the Columbia kids, but there were more jeans/old sweatshirts and a few people who looked less conventional.

Location/Campus

Columbia: a little more gated-off from the city, with a nice quad for people to hang out. Very nice and "college-feeling" architecture. The law school buildings are on a corner of a fairly busy street, so it feels less campusy right there. Super nice, modern buildings. Lots of Columbia undergrads around the main quad and walkways.

NYU: very well integrated with the neighborhood, which is a blessing or curse. The streets are narrower and smaller downtown, and the buildings lower. Feels less like Seinfeld-land. The buildings were nice and historic-feeling, though not as modern as at Columbia. Washington Square Park was great: much bigger than I realized. Though its not just an NYU spot, it's a NYC spot.


What the schools said

Columbia: I felt like I heard "congratulations" a thousand times. They had a bit of a "you have arrived" message, and they talked a lot about their impressive alumni (some have been presidents, etc). They also played up their resources... like how you can really do anything there, they're good at all types of law.

NYU: I think the dean said at some point that they were not trying to be a better version of the other top schools, they were trying to be what they thought the best law school was. Or something. The point was, there was an "NYU is different" message a bit. They talked a lot about public interest, but also a lot about faculty interaction, the fact that a bunch of big name faculty has come to NYU recently because they just like NYU, etc.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby Renzo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:20 pm

^^ that's actually a really fair assessment, I'd say.

User avatar
chris0805
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby chris0805 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:29 pm

Renzo wrote:^^ that's actually a really fair assessment, I'd say.


+1.

I would just add this: The law students I've met from NYU, Chicago, Penn, UVA, etc. are eerily similar to the law students I know at Columbia. Law students are, for better or worse, a somewhat standardized bunch.

spondee
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby spondee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:41 pm

chris0805 wrote:I would just add this: The law students I've met from NYU, Chicago, Penn, UVA, etc. are eerily similar to the law students I know at Columbia. Law students are, for better or worse, a somewhat standardized bunch.


My experience, too.

User avatar
radgrad
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:47 am

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby radgrad » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:44 pm

spondee wrote:
chris0805 wrote:I would just add this: The law students I've met from NYU, Chicago, Penn, UVA, etc. are eerily similar to the law students I know at Columbia. Law students are, for better or worse, a somewhat standardized bunch.


My experience, too.


Generally agree. the one big difference I noticed at the Columbia and NYU ASWs (as I mentioned above) was that they schools had very different things to say about themselves. Not sure if that actually matters once you're a student, though, or if they're just different marketing strategies.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby Dignan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:51 pm

chris0805 wrote:
Renzo wrote:^^ that's actually a really fair assessment, I'd say.


+1.

I would just add this: The law students I've met from NYU, Chicago, Penn, UVA, etc. are eerily similar to the law students I know at Columbia. Law students are, for better or worse, a somewhat standardized bunch.

I think that's generally true. I did notice, however, that Berkeley Law students seem more relaxed and, well, happy than Columbia Law students. It wasn't the difference between night and day, but it was noticeable.

User avatar
M51
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:59 am

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby M51 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:51 pm

Dignan wrote:
chris0805 wrote:
Renzo wrote:^^ that's actually a really fair assessment, I'd say.


+1.

I would just add this: The law students I've met from NYU, Chicago, Penn, UVA, etc. are eerily similar to the law students I know at Columbia. Law students are, for better or worse, a somewhat standardized bunch.

I think that's generally true. I did notice, however, that Berkeley Law students seem more relaxed and, well, happy than Columbia Law students. It wasn't the difference between night and day, but it was noticeable.


People in California are more relaxed and happy than people in New York.
That's just a fact.

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby Great Satchmo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:18 pm

M51 wrote:
Dignan wrote:
chris0805 wrote:
Renzo wrote:^^ that's actually a really fair assessment, I'd say.


+1.

I would just add this: The law students I've met from NYU, Chicago, Penn, UVA, etc. are eerily similar to the law students I know at Columbia. Law students are, for better or worse, a somewhat standardized bunch.

I think that's generally true. I did notice, however, that Berkeley Law students seem more relaxed and, well, happy than Columbia Law students. It wasn't the difference between night and day, but it was noticeable.


People in California are more relaxed and happy than people in New York.
That's just a fact.



CA > NY.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:23 pm

NYU has a rep for being cutthroat. Columbia is known for its international vibe, but also for being highly competitive. Without direct experience at each school, it is difficult to assess rumored reputations. the most obvious difference to me is that Columbia has a beautiful campus, while NYU has a dynamic city.
While this is what I have been told by several students in the past, the most recent edition of USNews Ultimate Guide To Law Schools paints a different picture of NYU and portrays Columbia as overly competitive.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby scribelaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:26 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:NYU has a rep for being cutthroat. Columbia is known for its international vibe, but also for being highly competitive.


NYU has a rep for being cutthroat?

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:28 pm

scribelaw wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:NYU has a rep for being cutthroat. Columbia is known for its international vibe, but also for being highly competitive.


NYU has a rep for being cutthroat?

Lol. Insofar as it has a rep for being a top-ranked law school, I suppose.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:30 pm

M51 wrote:
Dignan wrote:
chris0805 wrote:
Renzo wrote:^^ that's actually a really fair assessment, I'd say.


+1.

I would just add this: The law students I've met from NYU, Chicago, Penn, UVA, etc. are eerily similar to the law students I know at Columbia. Law students are, for better or worse, a somewhat standardized bunch.

I think that's generally true. I did notice, however, that Berkeley Law students seem more relaxed and, well, happy than Columbia Law students. It wasn't the difference between night and day, but it was noticeable.


People in California are more relaxed and happy than people in New York.
That's just a fact.


I lol'd, after which I acknowledged it was true. +1 to the standardized bunch comment, btw, though there is a huge difference in atmosphere between urban and non-urban schools. Visiting UVA felt like vacationing in another land.

Note to OP: it's not like you can screw this choice up. I am supposed to be an objective and disinterested observer, and I say that both are wonderful, for different reasons. Also, the student appearance comment is credited. The Columbians of my acquaintance are quite well dressed, and I have to pull out all the sartorial stops when I go out with them. They don't seem unhappy, though, at least objectively speaking, and they like CLS enough to praise the school lavishly and pointedly when they talk to me.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby clintonius » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:31 pm

ITT: we discover how easy it is to apply a stereotype of one law school to any other law school

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:37 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:NYU has a rep for being cutthroat. Columbia is known for its international vibe, but also for being highly competitive. Without direct experience at each school, it is difficult to assess rumored reputations. the most obvious difference to me is that Columbia has a beautiful campus, while NYU has a dynamic city.
While this is what I have been told by several students in the past, the most recent edition of USNews Ultimate Guide To Law Schools paints a different picture of NYU and portrays Columbia as overly competitive.

100% of everything in this post is absurd.

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby tomhobbes » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:46 pm

Renzo wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:NYU has a rep for being cutthroat. Columbia is known for its international vibe, but also for being highly competitive. Without direct experience at each school, it is difficult to assess rumored reputations. the most obvious difference to me is that Columbia has a beautiful campus, while NYU has a dynamic city.
While this is what I have been told by several students in the past, the most recent edition of USNews Ultimate Guide To Law Schools paints a different picture of NYU and portrays Columbia as overly competitive.

100% of everything in this post is absurd.


No, Columbia really does have a beautiful campus.

muahawhawhaw
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:23 am

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby muahawhawhaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:51 pm

100% of everything is also repetitively redundant. Just merely sayin.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:51 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
Renzo wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:NYU has a rep for being cutthroat. Columbia is known for its international vibe, but also for being highly competitive. Without direct experience at each school, it is difficult to assess rumored reputations. the most obvious difference to me is that Columbia has a beautiful campus, while NYU has a dynamic city.
While this is what I have been told by several students in the past, the most recent edition of USNews Ultimate Guide To Law Schools paints a different picture of NYU and portrays Columbia as overly competitive.

100% of everything in this post is absurd.


No, Columbia really does have a beautiful campus.

No, UCSB has a beautiful campus. The University of Colorado has a beautiful campus. Columbia has a campus.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:53 pm

"RENZO" has spoken.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby Dignan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Renzo wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
Renzo wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:NYU has a rep for being cutthroat. Columbia is known for its international vibe, but also for being highly competitive. Without direct experience at each school, it is difficult to assess rumored reputations. the most obvious difference to me is that Columbia has a beautiful campus, while NYU has a dynamic city.
While this is what I have been told by several students in the past, the most recent edition of USNews Ultimate Guide To Law Schools paints a different picture of NYU and portrays Columbia as overly competitive.

100% of everything in this post is absurd.


No, Columbia really does have a beautiful campus.

No, UCSB has a beautiful campus. The University of Colorado has a beautiful campus. Columbia has a campus.

I think Columbia has a beautiful campus. It's an urban campus--it's got a different kind of beauty than, say, UC Santa Cruz--but its architecture and sense of space are pretty spectacular, imo. (The horrific law school building excepted, of course.)

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:03 pm

Dignan wrote:I think Columbia has a beautiful campus. It's an urban campus--it's got a different kind of beauty than, say, UC Santa Cruz--but its architecture and sense of space are pretty spectacular, imo. (The horrific law school building excepted, of course.)

Yeah, it is laid out well, I'll admit that. For an urban campus I guess it's pretty nice, but there aren't many competitors in the 'nice urban campus' category. And you are right to except the law school building--it's flat out ugly.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Deep.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:18 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Deep.

You're really easily offended, it appears.

Well, I'm sorry you were so wrong.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:20 pm

Not really, just enjoying the ride.

User avatar
M51
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:59 am

Re: Columbia vs. NYU - "Difference in atmosphere"

Postby M51 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:19 pm

Renzo wrote:
Dignan wrote:I think Columbia has a beautiful campus. It's an urban campus--it's got a different kind of beauty than, say, UC Santa Cruz--but its architecture and sense of space are pretty spectacular, imo. (The horrific law school building excepted, of course.)

Yeah, it is laid out well, I'll admit that. For an urban campus I guess it's pretty nice, but there aren't many competitors in the 'nice urban campus' category. And you are right to except the law school building--it's flat out ugly.


That's what makes it so spectacular... that it's in the city. Get out of the subway, you're on broadway, some tall buildings, nothing too special. Then, you make that turn into the gate, and in a few steps the world opens up. Neo-Classical architecture, twin fountains, the lawn, etc... home to three national historic landmarks on the campus itself.

Made quite an impression on me when I first visited, still kindda in awe every day walking through it on my way to class.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chicago-gunner123 and 6 guests