BP decides where you go to law school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby IAFG » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:27 pm

is the answer any different with the knowledge that i may want to mommy-track someday? that is really the thing standing btw me and this being an obvious decision.

MSW8510
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby MSW8510 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:29 pm

Glad I found this thread. Not a frequent poster, but need some advice...

In at GW (full ride & stipend)
In at BC

WL @ Duke, GULC, Michigan, UCLA, American

Under review @ HLS, Penn, Chicago

I had high hopes with 172/3.65/WE, but applied very late & struck out

Do I take the money at GW or reapply early next cycle?
I have family ties to DC also. My father-in-law has a successful boutique firm in DC I could work at right out of school, but I'm concerned about possibly losing opportunities for clerkships, politics, etc., that usually are dominated by T14 grads.
No idea what I want to do besides keeing my options open.
Thanks in advance!

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby IAFG » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:31 pm

MSW8510 wrote:Glad I found this thread. Not a frequent poster, but need some advice...

In at GW (full ride & stipend)
In at BC

WL @ Duke, GULC, Michigan, UCLA, American

Under review @ HLS, Penn, Chicago

I had high hopes with 172/3.65/WE, but applied very late & struck out

Do I take the money at GW or reapply early next cycle?
I have family ties to DC also. My father-in-law has a successful boutique firm in DC I could work at right out of school, but I'm concerned about possibly losing opportunities for clerkships, politics, etc., that usually are dominated by T14 grads.
No idea what I want to do besides keeing my options open.
Thanks in advance!

i would reapply while riding out your WLs at Mich and Duke. did you write LOCIs? or Why Xs in the first place?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:33 pm

IAFG wrote:is the answer any different with the knowledge that i may want to mommy-track someday? that is really the thing standing btw me and this being an obvious decision.


You could afford to have kids 6 months earlier iff you get big law if you go to Gulc.

Though honestly why would you possibly want big law if you want to mommy track. You'll work long enough to break even then leave. Might as well not go at all.

That's if you get big law. You miss and you've got 130K in debt. Not very marriageable.

MSW8510
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby MSW8510 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:36 pm

No Why X's, but I did write a LOCI to GULC. It is important to me not to accumulate too much debt, so I assumed that schools that WL'ed me wouldn't offer money if they pulled me off the list. As a result, I didn't really feel motivated about writing LOCI's

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby IAFG » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:37 pm

MSW8510 wrote:No Why X's, but I did write a LOCI to GULC. It is important to me not to accumulate too much debt, so I assumed that schools that WL'ed me wouldn't offer money if they pulled me off the list. As a result, I didn't really feel motivated about writing LOCI's

i have heard michigan does sometimes give schollies off the WL, and there certainly is no harm in trying, or trying to negotiate if you get in. that said, if i were you, i would re-cycle, and if i were dead-set against that, i would attend GW for free since you have some connections.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby IAFG » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:is the answer any different with the knowledge that i may want to mommy-track someday? that is really the thing standing btw me and this being an obvious decision.


You could afford to have kids 6 months earlier iff you get big law if you go to Gulc.

Though honestly why would you possibly want big law if you want to mommy track. You'll work long enough to break even then leave. Might as well not go at all.

That's if you get big law. You miss and you've got 130K in debt. Not very marriageable.

eventually children are big enough to not need mommy at home, DF. there is middle ground btw career woman and SAHM.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby existenz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:42 pm

IAFG wrote:is the answer any different with the knowledge that i may want to mommy-track someday? that is really the thing standing btw me and this being an obvious decision.

you are going to wind up with significant debt at either school, so taking time off for kids will not be much easier either way. Finding a husband who is financially stable or working at a job with generous maternity leave policies will be much more important than a $30k difference in debt.

The job prospects at NU are better, and having a good job will solve many of these other problems. Also, don't discount the importance of being a happy law student. You sound like you love Chicago and dislike GULC. That, combined with the other evidence, makes this an easier decision.

That said, I would try to negotiate more scholarship money from NU before the end of the month. Who knows, maybe they've suddenly found some more cash (I sent them back $60k on Friday). It could be a one in twenty chance that they'd increase it, but it would not hurt to try.

MSW8510
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby MSW8510 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:43 pm

Good advice. You've given me some things to ponder. Thanks for the help.

Gold Dust Woman
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:09 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby Gold Dust Woman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:17 pm

I'm normally a lurker, but at this point any input is appreciated.

My choices (all $ over 3 years):

UT - $54,000
Duke - $64,500
NYU - sticker

I had already deposited at UT when Duke upped their scholly offer. The next day I got in @ NYU. 11 days ago my cycle was more or less over and now I've been pulled back in. I'm interested in PI and not wedded to any geographic area.

What say you?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby IAFG » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:18 pm

Gold Dust Woman wrote:I'm normally a lurker, but at this point any input is appreciated.

My choices (all $ over 3 years):

UT - $54,000
Duke - $64,500
NYU - sticker

I had already deposited at UT when Duke upped their scholly offer. The next day I got in @ NYU. 11 days ago my cycle was more or less over and now I've been pulled back in. I'm interested in PI and not wedded to any geographic area.

What say you?

what do you mean specifically by PI?

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:21 pm

Gold Dust Woman wrote:I'm normally a lurker, but at this point any input is appreciated.

My choices (all $ over 3 years):

UT - $54,000
Duke - $64,500
NYU - sticker

I had already deposited at UT when Duke upped their scholly offer. The next day I got in @ NYU. 11 days ago my cycle was more or less over and now I've been pulled back in. I'm interested in PI and not wedded to any geographic area.

What say you?

NYU for PI no question.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby keg411 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:29 pm

IAFG wrote:is the answer any different with the knowledge that i may want to mommy-track someday? that is really the thing standing btw me and this being an obvious decision.


Mommy track = BigLaw exit options (i.e. in-house jobs). That's not going to make a difference where you go to school. Though if it means finding a guy with $$$, I dunno if NU or GULC would be better (which has a better B school? :lol:).

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby IAFG » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:30 pm

keg411 wrote:
IAFG wrote:is the answer any different with the knowledge that i may want to mommy-track someday? that is really the thing standing btw me and this being an obvious decision.


Mommy track = BigLaw exit options (i.e. in-house jobs). That's not going to make a difference where you go to school. Though if it means finding a guy with $$$, I dunno if NU or GULC would be better (which has a better B school? :lol:).

i definitely meant debt consideration and exit options, but [insert requisite reference to Northwestern Med here]

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:35 pm

keg411 wrote:
IAFG wrote:is the answer any different with the knowledge that i may want to mommy-track someday? that is really the thing standing btw me and this being an obvious decision.


Mommy track = BigLaw exit options (i.e. in-house jobs). That's not going to make a difference where you go to school. Though if it means finding a guy with $$$, I dunno if NU or GULC would be better (which has a better B school? :lol:).


I think the difference between NU's business school and Georgetown's business school is probably about the same distance between Columbia Law School and George Washington Law School.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby missvik218 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Gold Dust Woman wrote:What say you?

OMG I <3 Fleetwood Mac!!

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby keg411 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:16 pm

IAFG wrote:
keg411 wrote:
IAFG wrote:is the answer any different with the knowledge that i may want to mommy-track someday? that is really the thing standing btw me and this being an obvious decision.


Mommy track = BigLaw exit options (i.e. in-house jobs). That's not going to make a difference where you go to school. Though if it means finding a guy with $$$, I dunno if NU or GULC would be better (which has a better B school? :lol:).

i definitely meant debt consideration and exit options, but [insert requisite reference to Northwestern Med here]


:lol:. I'm personally eyeing Wharton across the river from where I'm heading.

My sis has biglaw and is eventually eye-ing Mommy track. At least at her firm, they did a function during y2L SA that addresses this (they talk about maternity leave, day care options, etc.).

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby IAFG » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:20 pm

keg411 wrote:My sis has biglaw and is eventually eye-ing Mommy track. At least at her firm, they did a function during y2L SA that addresses this (they talk about maternity leave, day care options, etc.).

i have heard of mommy-friendlier positions like being "of counsel" rather than partner or associate. i can't imagine i will grow a heart and want to save the world btw then and now, and honestly, i don't think i want children at all, but i also don't want to make that impossible for myself in case i feel differently later, like so many women seem to.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:36 pm

IAFG wrote:
keg411 wrote:My sis has biglaw and is eventually eye-ing Mommy track. At least at her firm, they did a function during y2L SA that addresses this (they talk about maternity leave, day care options, etc.).

i have heard of mommy-friendlier positions like being "of counsel" rather than partner or associate. i can't imagine i will grow a heart and want to save the world btw then and now, and honestly, i don't think i want children at all, but i also don't want to make that impossible for myself in case i feel differently later, like so many women seem to.


I've heard of elusive part time big law jobs. Probably a myth though.

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby oneforship » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:
keg411 wrote:My sis has biglaw and is eventually eye-ing Mommy track. At least at her firm, they did a function during y2L SA that addresses this (they talk about maternity leave, day care options, etc.).

i have heard of mommy-friendlier positions like being "of counsel" rather than partner or associate. i can't imagine i will grow a heart and want to save the world btw then and now, and honestly, i don't think i want children at all, but i also don't want to make that impossible for myself in case i feel differently later, like so many women seem to.


I've heard of elusive part time big law jobs. Probably a myth though.


No, they exist, and I'm aware of many female associates that take advantage of them at the firm I'm a paralegal at.

They still probably meet the same billable standards, but just on more of their own schedule.

User avatar
quetzalcoatl
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:23 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby quetzalcoatl » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:48 pm

Duke with 60k
Penn (sticker)
Chicago (sticker)

Im going to stay on the WL at Columbia, but not counting on anything.

My problem is... Im from a small town and know I would enjoy Durham, but Im interested in L & E and Duke offers almost nothing in that area. Chicago would be a change of pace that I might enjoy, so much more to do there (maybe too stressful though?). Had a great time at both ASW's. Im leaning U of C just because of better placement in Big law, but is it worth paying 60k more for?

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby NayBoer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:29 pm

quetzalcoatl wrote:Duke with 60k
Penn (sticker)
Chicago (sticker)

Im going to stay on the WL at Columbia, but not counting on anything.

My problem is... Im from a small town and know I would enjoy Durham, but Im interested in L & E and Duke offers almost nothing in that area. Chicago would be a change of pace that I might enjoy, so much more to do there (maybe too stressful though?). Had a great time at both ASW's. Im leaning U of C just because of better placement in Big law, but is it worth paying 60k more for?
Yes, it is.

User avatar
dmcbride
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby dmcbride » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Cornell sticker
Illinois 25,000/yr scholarship

No strong interest at the moment so I want to keep my career options open. No strong tie to Chicago or NYC either.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:50 pm

dmcbride wrote:Cornell sticker
Illinois 25,000/yr scholarship

No strong interest at the moment so I want to keep my career options open. No strong tie to Chicago or NYC either.


I'd probably take Cornell, and that is speaking as an Illinois alum. That's still 100K debt over three years, for ITE a slim chance at big law.

Maybe if you only wanted Chicago.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

.

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:52 pm

.
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest