BP decides where you go to law school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
im_blue

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby im_blue » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:32 pm

beef wellington wrote:I'm in at GULC and WL'ed at Chicago, UVA, NU, pending at NYU. I'm pretty set on PI. Right now my preference goes:

NYU
Chicago
GULC
UVA
NU

Anyone wanna argue for a different order there? I'm thinking I should just withdraw from the bottom two. I like GULC for its location.

I'm going to argue for:
NYU
Chicago
UVA
NU
GULC

If you get into any other schools, take it and run!

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Help me out plz, BP?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115653

kthnx.

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:51 pm

im_blue wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote: So basically, I should probably have done better given my numbers? That's how I feel. I think my whole cycle is a testament to the importance of applying early, and possibly the benefit of being at least 1yr out of school with some professional experience.

Your cycle was pretty terrible. Honestly? I think you just had a super shitty personal statement and went to a shitty undergrad...And maybe you are an LSAT retaker. One year of work experience doesn't really matter and with those numbers you should have been able to pull something better even when you applied late.

+1. Dan, you applied in early January, which isn't really late enough to explain your terrible cycle. I mean, even GULC waitlisted and then accepted you. I would seriously take a look at the PS and LORs to see if there are any red flags there. Don't assume that applying a couple months earlier and a measly year of WE would help much.

Well, I can't very well look at my LORs, but I didn't even ask for these letters; these faculty members offered to write me LORs after I took classes with them. Moreover, there are people I know personally and who I have worked with throughout college, not just professors whose class I got an A in.

As for the personal statement, I know that wasn't it. I had it read by all of my LOR writers and the law advisor, and they all thought it was great.

I think part of it is that I applied initially with a LSDAS 3.73, 166, and then sent updated transcripts, plus retook the LSAT, to go up to 171, 3.77.

I feel arrogant saying it, but I'm really puzzled. I wish I could call one of the admissions committees and ask what's the deal.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:04 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Bump

someone ask me something.

My....friend.... has this strange bump on his crotch and painful urination, what should he do?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:06 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:Bump

someone ask me something.

My....friend.... has this strange bump on his crotch and painful urination, what should he do?

Too late, he's already banned again.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:09 pm

im_blue wrote:
beef wellington wrote:I'm in at GULC and WL'ed at Chicago, UVA, NU, pending at NYU. I'm pretty set on PI. Right now my preference goes:

NYU
Chicago
GULC
UVA
NU

Anyone wanna argue for a different order there? I'm thinking I should just withdraw from the bottom two. I like GULC for its location.

I'm going to argue for:
NYU
Chicago
UVA
NU
GULC

If you get into any other schools, take it and run!

Would you mind elaborating a bit? It seems like networking and work experience are really important for PI which is why I've been thinking GULC's location trumps NU and UVA.

libraryphobe

Postby libraryphobe » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Last edited by libraryphobe on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

libraryphobe

Postby libraryphobe » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:24 pm

A bit of a newbie here but I'm trying to decide quickly between:
CLS ($$)
NYU ($$)
GULC ($$$)
UCI (full ride)

Interested in gov't & PI jobs so I'm counting on $ & LRAP programs, and while I definitely care about rankings/reputation, the soft pros & cons are really important to me. I've been working in NYC for a few years, and ideally I'd like to be somewhere different (NYU especially seems like too much of the same), and DC would be great. After visiting these schools, CLS and UCI actually both seemed like the most livable/comfortable campuses, but I'm looking at a ~$30K savings at GULC vs. the NY schools. Also, UCI is both far away from my east coast world and untested; it would be off the list if it weren't for the great weather, the money, and the fact that Chemerinsky is awesome and seems to be able to get everyone a job.

Any friendly feedback would be great. Thanks TLS world.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:28 pm

libraryphobe wrote:A bit of a newbie here but I'm trying to decide quickly between:
CLS ($$)
NYU ($$)
GULC ($$$)
UCI (full ride)

Interested in gov't & PI jobs so I'm counting on $ & LRAP programs, and while I definitely care about rankings/reputation, the soft pros & cons are really important to me. I've been working in NYC for a few years, and ideally I'd like to be somewhere different (NYU especially seems like too much of the same), and DC would be great. After visiting these schools, CLS and UCI actually both seemed like the most livable/comfortable campuses, but I'm looking at a ~$30K savings at GULC vs. the NY schools. Also, UCI is both far away from my east coast world and untested; it would be off the list if it weren't for the great weather, the money, and the fact that Chemerinsky is awesome and seems to be able to get everyone a job.

I'd say NYU but you like CLS better, so go with CLS. Money isn't a factor.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:28 pm

libraryphobe wrote:A bit of a newbie here but I'm trying to decide quickly between:
CLS ($$)
NYU ($$)
GULC ($$$)
UCI (full ride)

CLS, no question.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:34 pm

Agree with Helm.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:41 pm

I posted when this thread started but I'm torn and really in need of a second round of advice.

Iowa: full in-state; total debt (ish): $125k
Illinois: oos with $10k/year guaranteed; total debt (ish): $150k

I prefer Illinois without money being taken into consideration. It seems the more solid program but Iowa's employment stats aren't that bad either. I'm fairly debt wary but won't really be happy living in the Midwest (which I have no problem with) as long as it's in a larger city. Would like Chicago but am also thinking possibly St. Louis or Kansas City. I don't want to live in Iowa. I'm thinking public interest work but this is pretty open. I'm a little worried about how I'd perform academically at Illinois given that my LSAT places me below the median vs. close to the 75th% at Iowa. Also, having spoken to my parents, I'm thinking with their help I can shave $10-20k in debt off the estimated figures.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:45 pm

webbylu87 wrote:I posted when this thread started but I'm torn and really in need of a second round of advice.

I prefer Illinois without money being taken into consideration. It seems the more solid program but Iowa's employment stats aren't that bad either. I'm fairly debt wary but won't really be happy living in the Midwest (which I have no problem with) as long as it's in a larger city. Would like Chicago but am also thinking possibly St. Louis or Kansas City. I don't want to live in Iowa. I'm thinking public interest work but this is pretty open. I'm a little worried about how I'd perform academically at Illinois given that my LSAT places me below the median vs. close to the 75th% at Iowa. Also, having spoken to my parents, I'm thinking with their help I can shave $10-20k in debt off the estimated figures.

I would take Illinois, it at least gives you a much better shot at Chicago, and 25k while not meaningless is really not much in the grand scheme of things.

Also, don't worry about the LSAT difference. LSAT predicts performance pretty well, but not well enough that 3-4 points mean anything.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:01 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:I posted when this thread started but I'm torn and really in need of a second round of advice.

I would take Illinois, it at least gives you a much better shot at Chicago, and 25k while not meaningless is really not much in the grand scheme of things.

Also, don't worry about the LSAT difference. LSAT predicts performance pretty well, but not well enough that 3-4 points mean anything.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I think TLS perhaps has given me a skewed perception as to what is a "normal" debt level. "Wait, you mean I DON'T have several full-rides to choose from?!"

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:24 pm

webbylu87 wrote:I don't want to live in Iowa.

Completely, utterly, 100% eliminates Iowa. Cross them off the list.

I'm a little worried about how I'd perform academically at Illinois given that my LSAT places me below the median vs. close to the 75th% at Iowa.

You're right to have this concern, but when you're dealing with a place or two (ie 163,164,165) it really isn't going to make a huge difference. Especially since I'm sure you have a great GPA to have gotten money from Illinois with a below-median LSAT. However, it is worth noting that either school will probably be 10-20% or so people with demonstrably better numbers.

Do you have any other offers? Because Kent or Loyola with $$$ would be looking pretty good here. Maybe even Wisconsin.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:29 pm

GULC 82,500 NU 50,000 UVA 15,000 (due to residency) want to practice in Chicago/NYC/DC in that order, biglaw all the way

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:29 pm

DerrickRose wrote:Do you have any other offers? Because Kent or Loyola with $$$ would be looking pretty good here. Maybe even Wisconsin.

I was accepted at Wisconsin last year and was going to have to pay full oos tuition. It just didn't seem worth it to me given that I didn't want to remain in Wisconsin either. I was able to find a job for this past year so I withdrew and reapplied this cycle. I didn't apply to Kent and I got in at Loyola with $15k/year but considering the cost of living in Chicago it wasn't significantly cheaper than either Iowa or Illinois so I ruled it out. (It would've cost roughly the same as Iowa and between the two I decided I wanted the larger Midwest mobility Iowa afforded, hence me ruling it out.)

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:39 pm

IAFG wrote:GULC 82,500 NU 50,000 UVA 15,000 (due to residency) want to practice in Chicago/NYC/DC in that order, biglaw all the way

The offers are pretty close to equal, I think personally think GULC at 40,000 dollars cheaper is a slightly better deal. That being said, you want to go to NU. You'll do better in the environment you want to be in. Plus if your first pick is the Chicago market, you'll be in good shape coming from Northwestern if you do well. (assuming you don't pull a Corsair)

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:44 pm

IAFG wrote:GULC 82,500 NU 50,000 UVA 15,000 (due to residency) want to practice in Chicago/NYC/DC in that order, biglaw all the way

http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/2006/ ... ement.html

32K for a significantly decreased shot at big law isn't worth it. The difference between NU and GU is teh same as the difference between UChi and NU.

Would you take Uchi over NU plus 30. No.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

32K for a significantly decreased shot at big law isn't worth it. The difference between NU and GU is teh same as the difference between UChi and NU.

'

I would go look through those stats though, the guy didn't have info for every V100 office, and the LA/DC firms are the ones that seemed to have been under counted.
Last edited by D. H2Oman on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

hmm, this is true, and appears to be a valid analogy. ok i will tell my dad to stfu.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:50 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

'

I would go look through those stats though, the guy did have info for every V100 office, and the LA/DC firms are the ones that seemed to have been under counted.

Matches NLJ250 data, and rumors from 2009 OCI as well. 600 students per class destroys GULCs placement ability. If they halved it they'd jump into MVP.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:01 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
IAFG wrote:hmm, this is true, and appears to be a valid analogy. ok i will tell my dad to stfu.

Now you're just looking for data to back up your conclusion, not making a conclusion based on data. If it were the latter, you'd probably ask for something other than V100 summer placement from four years ago.

Nothing wrong with that - if you want NU, go NU - but these data are hardly relevant, let alone conclusive.

the thing is that i doubt that things have changed significantly in a school's ability to place RELATIVE to other schools. if i were deciding whether or not i should go to LS at all, i would agree that this data is useless.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Matches NLJ250 data, and rumors from 2009 OCI as well. 600 students per class destroys GULCs placement ability. If they halved it they'd jump into MVP.

I don't disagree with you that NU places better, I'm just those 2006 overstate the difference. If you go through and look at every V100 firm on there, he has a lot more unknown for the DC/LA offices. I don't know why this is.

Lawclerkaddict
NU-53.1%
Illinios-19.1%

New NLJ numbers
NU-55.9%
Illinios-26.7%

Lawclerkaddict
GULC-34.4
GW-12.5

NLJ
GuLC-42.8
GW-31.6

Lawclerk
UCLA:19.9
USC 18.4

NLJ
UCLA 35.9
USC-41.3

I think there is some evidence that DC/LA are underrepresented in the lawclerkaddict numbers.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:09 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
IAFG wrote:hmm, this is true, and appears to be a valid analogy. ok i will tell my dad to stfu.

Now you're just looking for data to back up your conclusion, not making a conclusion based on data. If it were the latter, you'd probably ask for something other than V100 summer placement from four years ago.

Nothing wrong with that - if you want NU, go NU - but these data are hardly relevant, let alone conclusive.

NU vs Gulc in NLJ250
2007 NU +25.0%
2008 NU +13.9%
2009 NU +13.1%

This isn't even considering that her city of choice is Chicago.

Number of NALP firms from Chicago that OCI at NU:43 at GULC:14

Big name Chicago firms like K&E and Sidely Austin don't even OCI at Gtown.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”