BP decides where you go to law school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Helmholtz

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
imisscollege wrote:so you're saying it's not advantageous to apply to a job out of region (Boston) from a blatantly more well-respected school (UT) and give the employees some diversity of some sort? They would be inclined to take the BC grad over you every time?

Look, if you already have your mind made up, then just do it.

Is it possible to do things that way? Absolutely. The point people are trying to make is that you say you want the Northeast, and you are more likely to lane the Northeast from BC, based on proximity, alumni base, OCI, etc.

If that helps you, awesome. If that doesn't work for you, fine.

These Boston firms OCI at Texas.

DECHERT LLP BOSTON MA
DLA Piper LLP (US) Workplace Questionnaire Boston MA
Fish & Richardson P.C. Workplace Questionnaire Boston MA
K&L Gates LLP - Boston, MA Workplace Questionnaire Boston MA
McDermott Will & Emery LLP - Boston Workplace Questionnaire Boston MA
Ropes & Gray LLP Workplace Questionnaire Boston MA
Ropes & Gray LLP - Collective Form Boston MA

And these are the four Boston firms who have actually hired any UT students in the last three years:

Dechert, LLP
Foley Hoag, LLP
Goodwin Procter LLP
McDermott Will & Emery LLP

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:38 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
imisscollege wrote:so you're saying it's not advantageous to apply to a job out of region (Boston) from a blatantly more well-respected school (UT) and give the employees some diversity of some sort? They would be inclined to take the BC grad over you every time?

Look, if you already have your mind made up, then just do it.

Is it possible to do things that way? Absolutely. The point people are trying to make is that you say you want the Northeast, and you are more likely to lane the Northeast from BC, based on proximity, alumni base, OCI, etc.

If that helps you, awesome. If that doesn't work for you, fine.

These Boston firms OCI at Texas.

DECHERT LLP BOSTON MA
DLA Piper LLP (US) Workplace Questionnaire Boston MA
Fish & Richardson P.C. Workplace Questionnaire Boston MA
K&L Gates LLP - Boston, MA Workplace Questionnaire Boston MA
McDermott Will & Emery LLP - Boston Workplace Questionnaire Boston MA
Ropes & Gray LLP Workplace Questionnaire Boston MA
Ropes & Gray LLP - Collective Form Boston MA

And these are the four Boston firms who have actually hired any UT students in the last three years:

Dechert, LLP
Foley Hoag, LLP
Goodwin Procter LLP

F&R is an IP firm, so OP doesn't even have a shot.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:42 pm

Okay thank you everybody for your help.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:49 pm

Helmholtz wrote:And these are the four Boston firms who have actually hired any UT students in the last three years:

Dechert, LLP
Foley Hoag, LLP
Goodwin Procter LLP
Where do you find that?

politicsmajor

Postby politicsmajor » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:01 pm

Illinois $75k
BC $45k
Madison $104k

Sidenote: considering moving back to CA after graduation, but love Chicago as well.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:03 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:And these are the four Boston firms who have actually hired any UT students in the last three years:

Dechert, LLP
Foley Hoag, LLP
Goodwin Procter LLP
Where do you find that?

UT's website has a pdf of all the firms that have hired graduated in the years 2007-2009 and breaks it down by state. Doesn't tell you how many went to each firm, though.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:05 pm

Thanks and damn. Was hoping NALP or some equivalent somehow kept track of it.

existenz

Postby existenz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:07 pm

Northwestern just offered me $60k. Kind of a weird offer. Zero for the first year, $30k/year in the second and third years.

This puts them in closer contention with Mich, however Mich will still be fairly cheaper with COL, etc. I'll probably be turning it down. IAFG, Ltk, etc. could use this more than I could.
Last edited by existenz on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:07 pm

existenz wrote:Northwestern just offered me $60k. Kind of a weird offer. Zero for the first year, $30k/year in the second and third years.

This puts them in closer contention with Mich, however Mich will still be fairly cheaper with COL, etc. I'll probably be turning it down. IAFG could use this more than I could.

transfer protect?

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:09 pm

existenz wrote:Northwestern just offered me $60k. Kind of a weird offer. Zero for the first year, $30k/year in the second and third years.

This puts them in closer contention with Mich, however Mich will still be fairly cheaper with COL, etc. I'll probably be turning it down. IAFG could use this more than I could.
Weird. I guess yeah, to keep you from transferring. The money works out the same as $20k/yr for 3 years, right? Or does interest accumulate from day one?
Last edited by NayBoer on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Anti-me trolling.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

transfer protect?

I don't NU has transfer out problems. It's probably a scholarship funding issue.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:13 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:

Anti-me trolling.
He's just trying to protect your status as most underperforming cycle.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:14 pm

politicsmajor wrote:Illinois $75k
BC $45k
Madison $104k

Sidenote: considering moving back to CA after graduation, but love Chicago as well.

BC isn't comparable to the other two at that price. I'd go with Illinois, but if you get in-state at Madison, I'd take that one.

existenz

Postby existenz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:16 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:

Anti-me trolling.

Fixed.

I think their money for next year is probably tied up, otherwise they wouldn't make such an unconventional offer. If I wanted to play hardball I'd put down a deposit at Mich and NU, then try to negotiate more money after the deposit deadline when they have a better picture of how much money they have available.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:18 pm

politicsmajor wrote:Illinois $75k
BC $45k
Madison $104k

Wait, are you in-state at Illinois? Because Illinois 75k is what I chose (in-state) and I assure you the COL isn't as high as they say it is. You'll be out of there with only 60k or so of debt.

Illinois is the best in Chicago and California of your list. Its not great in Cali, but there is an alumni base there.

jinkz

Postby jinkz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:30 pm

Here are my choices:

Seton Hall (25k/yr scholly bringing cost of attendence down to 17k/yr--assuming i dont lose it)

Unv of Maryland- sticker out of state (34k/yr-ish)
might be able to get in state after my 2nd year which would bring the tuition down to around 24k/yr.

help me decide!

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:48 pm

jinkz wrote:Here are my choices:

Seton Hall (25k/yr scholly bringing cost of attendence down to 17k/yr--assuming i dont lose it)

Unv of Maryland- sticker out of state (34k/yr-ish)
might be able to get in state after my 2nd year which would bring the tuition down to around 24k/yr.

help me decide!

What's the stipulation on the Seton Hall scholly?

jinkz

Postby jinkz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:01 pm

to keep the seton scholly, i have to rank in the top 50% of my class at the end of every year. if i lose it, theres no way to get it back even if my class rank goes above 50% in the next year.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:09 pm

jinkz wrote:to keep the seton scholly, i have to rank in the top 50% of my class at the end of every year. if i lose it, theres no way to get it back even if my class rank goes above 50% in the next year.

Not that you couldn't do it (I'm sure you could), but with the stress of a stipulation, I don't think it's worth it. I'd do Maryland.

jinkz

Postby jinkz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:11 pm

im pretty confident that i could keep it...but would you say it would still be worth it even if i dont ever get instate status at UMD, putting me at around 100k in debt?

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:14 pm

I'm immediately hesitant with any scholarship stipulations, for one. I think Maryland is a good school, and worth it if you can get in-state after the first year. I'd definitely check into how feasible that is. If you can't, then I'd consider the Seton Hall offer instead.

goya

Postby goya » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:21 pm

Why not..?

UVA - 90k scholly
UPenn - 40k scholly
(scholarship amounts over three years)

Goals:
PMF, DOJ Honors Program, possibly a clerkship on COA - would love to be able to do 1st circuit where I'm from. Eventually, I want to go back to Boston to work in public service, possibly in the state house or agencies. As for locations, I'm looking at dc, nyc or boston.

Thoughts on UVA
+ Feeds into DC..
+ Has great alumni networks, great placements in terms of clerkships (but isn't it trending towards the right-leaning judges?)
+ Came out of ASW smitten with uva, much greater than at Penn.
- I love city life, and am used to a progressive, diverse group.. which I fear charlottesville will not provide.
- I am not a frat boy in any context of the word.

Thoughts on Penn
+ Ivy League pedigree.. Won't this afford me more opportunities if I ever stray away from law?
+ Able to get certificates/dual degrees with great ease
+ City life, diversity, more liberal than uva
- COL, + the 50k difference in scholarship
- I have heard not great things about the placements and CPP. And I don't want to work in Philly.

I know it comes down to the feel of each school. I love the opportunities at uva (the programs, teachers, admin), but I am afraid of the homogenous culture there as well. On the other hand, I felt very comfortable at UPenn..

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

jinkz

Postby jinkz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:21 pm

ive researched it heavily. their req's for instate tuition are very strict...but not impossible if you plan everything out in advance. im pretty confident that atleast for my 3rd year id have in state tuition. assuming i get it my 2nd year, UMD would only be an extra 7k, which wouldnt be that bad at all. ive heard that even with an UMD degree, its really hard to compete for jobs in DC/Baltimore, does anyone know anything about that and the big firms in the area wont take fresh UMD grads...does anyone know anything about that?

what about the job market in DC/Baltimore vs NY/northern Jersey...would you say theres a big difference?

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:26 pm

Sounds more like "convince me to turn down $50k for Penn."

UVA is better for DC and offered more money. Seems like a smarter bet. Neither one is ideal for going back to Boston (NALP says Penn sends 3.6% to New England and UVA sends 5%).

UVA, unless you just can't stand the atmosphere.

Edit - or go to Penn and readjust your career goals.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”