BP decides where you go to law school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SaintClarence27

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:48 am

Can you decide where I go to law school by forcing NU to accept me?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:58 am

SaintClarence27 wrote:Can you decide where I go to law school by forcing NU to accept me?

I say this because I want to be your classmate in August. You better sign up for June LSAT and get a 170.
Last edited by 09042014 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawskan

Postby lawskan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:02 pm

St. Johns full scholarship all three years vs. Fordham night program, no $$$

note: I live abt a 6 minute drive from ST. J

Not asking what the better school is, obviously...- asking what the REALITY of getting that much worse of a job at St. J (or that much BETTER of a job at Fordham) is.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:Can you decide where I go to law school by forcing NU to accept me?

I saw this because I want to be your classmate in August. You better sign up for June LSAT and get a 170.

more plainly, you just aren't going to get there from here. you need a better LSAT with that GPA.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:11 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
lawskan wrote:St. Johns full scholarship all three years vs. Fordham night program, no $$$

Not asking what the better school is, obviously...- asking what the REALITY of getting that much worse of a job at St. J (or that much BETTER of a job at Fordham) is.

:?

ITE, with those options, my first priority would be low debt. Go Red Storm.

Even in the good times you had a 1/3 shot of getting big law at fordham. So 2/3 were getting shut out, and still had 200K of debt. And those good times are done. I bet its more like 85% got shut out at fordham. Sure Fordham is better, but you still are much more likely to fail.

I'd go St Johns, and hope you do well. If you don't you work your way up at a small firm with less debt.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
lawskan wrote:St. Johns full scholarship all three years vs. Fordham night program, no $$$

Even in the good times you had a 1/3 shot of getting big law at fordham. So 2/3 were getting shut out, and still had 200K of debt. And those good times are done. I bet its more like 85% got shut out at fordham. Sure Fordham is better, but you still are much more likely to fail.

I'd go St Johns, and hope you do well. If you don't you work your way up at a small firm with less debt.

grade requirement for fullride?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:15 pm

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:

grade requirement for fullride?

Great point. I forgot how TTT's play that game.

lawskan

Postby lawskan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:16 pm

thanks, man (men)....full ride req's are top half. done. Even if you sink below which is improbable, it's renewable if you step it up during second year

lawskan

Postby lawskan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:20 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
lawskan wrote:thanks, man (men)....full ride req's are top half. done. Even if you sink below which is improbable, it's renewable if you step it up during second year

Have you looked on LSN to see how many of those scholarships they give out?

Also: have you tried seeing if they will drop that requirement?

No I haven't done either, not a bad idea though. Waitlisted at Columbia so kinda hoping that comes through but I guess it's looking more and more like St. J. Just nervous abt making the wrong decision and regretting it down the line that I just took the money instead of better "door opener" but I guess there's no clear right or wrong in this decision.

TracyLynn

Postby TracyLynn » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Need Help!

Buffalo, 5000/year, no conditions, tuition with scholarship is 12,000

Penn State 8000/year if in top 50%, 7000/need based grant, tuition with scholarship is 18,000

Factors:

I don't have intentions of staying in Buffalo (I live there now), otherwise I would go there no question. Not looking for big law, but would consider it. Want to stay in the NE. If I went to Buffalo, I might live at home (hoping not to). Buffalo also dropped out of the t-100 recently. I know there isn't a huge difference between bottom of t-2 and t-3, but I'm disappointed. Where should I go?

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

I say this because I want to be your classmate in August. You better sign up for June LSAT and get a 170.

I flat out do not have the money, otherwise I would have taken the Feb one. I know it's not looking good.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:35 pm

UT 45,000 vs. BC 54,000 (no gpa requirement for either)

I like Boston a lot but am not married to the idea of practicing there. If I chose UT, it would be for the high rank/peer assessment, national portability, change in scenery, and chances at a clerkship and NOT because I particularly want to practice in TX. That being said, I am a bit more attracted to the laid back BC feel.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:36 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I flat out do not have the money, otherwise I would have taken the Feb one. I know it's not looking good.

Beg for it.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:39 pm

imisscollege wrote:UT 45,000 vs. BC 54,000 (no gpa requirement for either)

I like Boston a lot but am not married to the idea of practicing there. If I chose UT, it would be for the high rank/peer assessment, national portability, change in scenery, and chances at a clerkship and NOT because I particularly want to practice in TX. That being said, I am a bit more attracted to the laid back BC feel.

Would you rather practice in the Northeast or Texas after graduation?

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:44 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

I haven't calculated it out but I guess TX might be a tiny bit cheaper cause of 2nd and 3rd year in-state tuition. I really don't want to practice in TX after grad so I guess the answer to that question is Northeast

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:46 pm

imisscollege wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I haven't calculated it out but I guess TX might be a tiny bit cheaper cause of 2nd and 3rd year in-state tuition. I really don't want to practice in TX after grad so I guess the answer to that question is Northeast

In my opinion, BC is easily the best choice here then.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:47 pm

So despite the fact that TX's assessment scores are on the same level as the T14, it does not mean that the degree is significantly more respected in regions outside of TX than BC?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:55 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
imisscollege wrote:So despite the fact that TX's assessment scores are on the same level as the T14, it does not mean that the degree is significantly more respected in regions outside of TX than BC?

It isn't necessarily about respect, so much as placement, alumni base, etc. Texas is a great school, and a lot of people know that, but if you want to work in NY/Boston/DC/Philly, BC will get you there faster than UT will.

+1

It's not like BC would be more respected in the PNW, for example, it's just that you would have homefield advantage in the Northeast by going to BC. UT dominates Texas, and the large majority of their grads stay in-state.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Beg for it.

I've pretty much strapped myself out begging for survival money. I've been unemployed for almost a full year.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:32 pm

imisscollege wrote:So despite the fact that TX's assessment scores are on the same level as the T14, it does not mean that the degree is significantly more respected in regions outside of TX than BC?

Assessment scores are one of the more meaningless part of the rankings IMO. Unless you make top 3 or top 6, Academia will be near-impossible anyway, and that is all those scores would be good for.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:23 pm

so you're saying it's not advantageous to apply to a job out of region (Boston) from a blatantly more well-respected school (UT) and give the employees some diversity of some sort? They would be inclined to take the BC grad over you every time?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:33 pm

imisscollege wrote:so you're saying it's not advantageous to apply to a job out of region (Boston) from a blatantly more well-respected school (UT) and give the employees some diversity of some sort? They would be inclined to take the BC grad over you every time?

Boston College is practically identical with Texas in biglaw placement. Texas does handily beat BC in clerkships, but this is probably more to do with UT dominating the 5th COA and numerous district courts in TX. Outside of the state of Texas, I wouldn't be so quick to call UT "blatantly more well-respected" than Boston College, especially in the northeast.

Yes, you can go to Boston from UT, and graduates have in the past, but it's just not going to be as easy.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:33 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
imisscollege wrote:so you're saying it's not advantageous to apply to a job out of region (Boston) from a blatantly more well-respected school (UT) and give the employees some diversity of some sort? They would be inclined to take the BC grad over you every time?

Look, if you already have your mind made up, then just do it.

Is it possible to do things that way? Absolutely. The point people are trying to make is that you say you want the Northeast, and you are more likely to lane the Northeast from BC, based on proximity, alumni base, OCI, etc.

If that helps you, awesome. If that doesn't work for you, fine.

These Boston firms OCI at Texas.

DECHERT LLP BOSTON MA
DLA Piper LLP (US) Workplace Questionnaire Boston MA
Fish & Richardson P.C. Workplace Questionnaire Boston MA
K&L Gates LLP - Boston, MA Workplace Questionnaire Boston MA
McDermott Will & Emery LLP - Boston Workplace Questionnaire Boston MA
Ropes & Gray LLP Workplace Questionnaire Boston MA
Ropes & Gray LLP - Collective Form Boston MA

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:34 pm

BP???? have I missed that much by not being on TLS for a couple months?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:36 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:BP???? have I missed that much by not being on TLS for a couple months?

Nothing of value.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”