BP decides where you go to law school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:27 pm

Sean Bateman wrote:Thanks for not advising i kill myself. Oh, this site.

<<<Goes to UF.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
macunaima wrote:Texas - $65k
Duke - no $
Columbia - no $

Columbia no matter what.

This.

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Duke - no $
Columbia - no $

Columbia no matter what.

i say he/she takes UT and asks columbia to accept me in his/her place

JTX

Postby JTX » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Duke - no $
Columbia - no $

Columbia no matter what.

i say he/she takes UT and asks columbia to accept me in his/her place

you can do that?!?!

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:29 pm

1.W&L $$
2. Minnesota $$
3. Illinois $$
4. Georgetown waitlist
5. /self

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:30 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:1.W&L $$
2. Minnesota $$
3. Illinois $$
4. Georgetown waitlist
5. /self

My hatred for you runs deeper than the Pacific Ocean.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Duke - no $
Columbia - no $

Columbia no matter what.

Disagree. Texas owns Texas, and if macunaima is from, say, Houston and knows (S)he wants to spend his/her life there, then Texas is the smarter call.

In most situations, though, the answer is CLS.

There are more UTex grads who strike at OCI than at CLS, by a lot. If he'd rather end up in texas shit law, than NYC big law, then maybe.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:31 pm

night06 wrote:
legalease9 wrote:
night06 wrote:I posted this in my thread, but I'll post it here for some more input (even though I know some people here have an anti-GULC bias)...

Vanderbilt w/ $$

Cornell w/ $$

There's also Georgetown (probably at sticker, but with awesome LRAP for my government focus), but that one's not due until May. I'm trying to focus on the Cornell vs. Vandy question for now, and it's mostly coming down to intangibles. They're such completely different environments.

Where do you want to practice?

If I end up in government, DC. If I end up changing my mind and going into private practice, I have no preference on location.

If you really want government, Georgetown.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:31 pm

2. Minnesota $$
3. Illinois $$
4. Georgetown waitlist
5. /self

Illinois then /self at Unofficial by falling off a motorcycle.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:31 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
2. Minnesota $$
3. Illinois $$
4. Georgetown waitlist
5. /self

My hatred for you runs deeper than the Pacific Ocean.

I will take that as a vote for option 5.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:32 pm

Loyola LA- 54,000 (Top 30%)
Lewis & Clark- 36,000 (Median, i think, but something really reasonable)
Wake Forest- 54,000 (Top 2/3)
USD- Sticker

macunaima

Postby macunaima » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:34 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Duke - no $
Columbia - no $

Columbia no matter what.

Disagree. Texas owns Texas, and if macunaima is from, say, Houston and knows (S)he wants to spend his/her life there, then Texas is the smarter call.

In most situations, though, the answer is CLS.

I am from Texas, but I don't really want to be TX-bound for the next decade. The only reason this is a hard decision is that I'm going to have to finance this entirely with loans. I have no savings or parental contributions to rely on. That's a shitload of debt to carry.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:44 pm

macunaima wrote:
I am from Texas, but I don't really want to be TX-bound for the next decade. The only reason this is a hard decision is that I'm going to have to finance this entirely with loans. I have no savings or parental contributions to rely on. That's a shitload of debt to carry.

Columbia all the way man

macunaima

Postby macunaima » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
macunaima wrote:

What is the total difference in debt?

For Texas, I'd be taking on $110k over three years in debt. I don't have official numbers of Columbia, but from what I've read, probably close to $160k.

dusk2k2

Postby dusk2k2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:47 pm

Last edited by dusk2k2 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:48 pm

macunaima wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
macunaima wrote:

What is the total difference in debt?

For Texas, I'd be taking on $110k over three years in debt. I don't have official numbers of Columbia, but from what I've read, probably close to $160k.

If you're going all loans I would plan closer to $210k. That's what I'm thinking for myself.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:49 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:I like this thread because I hate thinking for myself.

Minnesota (20K scholly) = ~17k in tuition. Parents pay or help me out with my rent.
GW (Sticker) = ~44K in tuition. Have option of living at home with the folks, but really don't want to. If I live on my own, parents will not help out with rent.

I am from DC and love it here.
I have weak connections in DC, that is, I have friends that have parents who are judges and lawyers. Wouldn't guarantee me anything, but could probably land an interview at least with them.
I went to undergrad in midwest, so I know the scene, but don't know if I could live there for real.
My best friend from college lives and works in Minneapolis. A good DC friend is also planning to move to and room with me in Minneapolis, should I choose to go there.
I want the security and prestige of the government. Federal preferably.
I worry that the midwest is "too white," especially coming from DC.

Pick it for me. Thanks!

GWU. Minnesota only travels instate.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:50 pm

Minnesota (20K scholly) = ~17k in tuition. Parents pay or help me out with my rent.
GW (Sticker) = ~44K in tuition. Have option of living at home with the folks, but really don't want to. If I live on my own, parents will not help out with rent.

I have weak connections in DC, that is, I have friends that have parents who are judges and lawyers. Wouldn't guarantee me anything, but could probably land an interview at least with them.
I went to undergrad in midwest, so I know the scene, but don't know if I could live there for real.
My best friend from college lives and works in Minneapolis. A good DC friend is also planning to move to and room with me in Minneapolis, should I choose to go there.

Pick it for me. Thanks!

That's a lot of stuff but honestly it looks like the biggest difference may be the cost.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Pick it for me. Thanks!

GWU. Minnesota only travels instate.

He may be able to play on some of his DC ties if he goes to UM.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:51 pm

Pick it for me. Thanks!

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:52 pm

OSU with total of 90k debt (thats debt from UG+ Grad + OSU COL - Full ride and stipend to OSU)
-Arguments in favor of OSU: Friends, family, acdemic and social connections, good if I wanna do state politics, 100k less debt
-Arguments against: Not t14, not as good job placement, degree not very portable, lower student quality, ohio weather sucks

Duke with total of 190k debt (thats debt from UG+ Grad + Duke at 50% tuition scholly)
-Arguments in favor of Duke: t14, amazing job opps, better clerkship placement, better LRAP, prestige factor, much better access to DC, better weather, beautiful facilities, high quality students
-Arguments against: That debt is terrifying, out of the state where I will probably end up living, no friends, no family, Durhan isn't as cool as Columbus

Goals: PI, maybe politics, maybe midlaw, maybe teach, trial law, appellate advocacy... you get the picture

K. hit me with it.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:54 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:OSU with total of 90k debt (thats debt from UG+ Grad + OSU COL - Full ride and stipend to OSU)
-Arguments in favor of OSU: Friends, family, acdemic and social connections, good if I wanna do state politics, 100k less debt
-Arguments against: Not t14, not as good job placement, degree not very portable, lower student quality, ohio weather sucks

Duke with total of 190k debt (thats debt from UG+ Grad + Duke at 50% tuition scholly)
-Arguments in favor of Duke: t14, amazing job opps, better clerkship placement, better LRAP, prestige factor, much better access to DC, better weather, beautiful facilities, high quality students
-Arguments against: That debt is terrifying, out of the state where I will probably end up living, no friends, no family, Durhan isn't as cool as Columbus

Goals: PI, maybe politics, maybe midlaw, maybe teach, trial law, appellate advocacy... you get the picture

K. hit me with it.
Doooook

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:54 pm

I'm stuck between Notre Dame, WUSTL, and GW.

- Money is not really an issue, but I got a 45k scholarship from ND and 24k at WUSTL
- I want a portable degree because I'm not sure where I'd like to practice
- I'd like to get some experience in BigLaw but eventually move in-house or to the business side
- I'd prefer to be in a city, but career prospects are more important

Thanks for the help!

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:54 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Minnesota only travels instate.

That's not true, but it definitely doesn't travel to DC.

Wisconsin = East Minnesota.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:58 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:OSU with total of 90k debt (thats debt from UG+ Grad + OSU COL - Full ride and stipend to OSU)

K. hit me with it.

I would say prestige-whoring is more important when you're unsure what you want to do. Duke will open more doors and make you more money.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”