BP decides where you go to law school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
D-hops

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby D-hops » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:09 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:ithinkimightbeleaningtowardsnubutimstillunsure
[strike]Holly, where do you want to work? I know you want an LLM in int'l stuff.[/strike]

For god's sake come to NU and stop considering things outside the T13!

:mrgreen:

JTX

Postby JTX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:14 pm

Corinne wrote:
jtxcounitah wrote:
Corinne wrote:I know I am very lucky

I'm New Jersey born and raised.

these seem to contradict.

Haha, New Jersey's not all Sopranos and Jersey Shore. I live in a nice suburban town about 15 minutes from NYC. :)

Seton Hall is the obvious choice? Maybe I'm missing something, but why leaning towards SD if you want to be in NYC?

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:33 pm

D-hops wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:ithinkimightbeleaningtowardsnubutimstillunsure
[strike]Holly, where do you want to work? I know you want an LLM in int'l stuff.[/strike]

For god's sake come to NU and stop considering things outside the T13!

:mrgreen:
This.

Your alternative is to be unit number 65209456 at the Georgetown Amalgamated JD Factory.

elmagic

Postby elmagic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:34 pm

This is for the most part pretty entertaining, I have mostly made up my mind but I'd like to see what BP thinks.

Harvard or Yale

Future goals: COA clerkship->Big Law preferably in NYC or DC M&A focus-> Lazard-type shop maybe eventually portfolio manager somewhere or start up a boutique shop for myself->Biltmore house-esque summer home.

Also keep in mind a good chunk of my family attended Harvard, including a HLS alum. I attended HYP ug but am neither a Harvard or Yale guy (guess where then!)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:38 pm

elmagic wrote:This is for the most part pretty entertaining, I have mostly made up my mind but I'd like to see what BP thinks.

Harvard or Yale

Future goals: COA clerkship->Big Law preferably in NYC or DC M&A focus-> Lazard-type shop maybe eventually portfolio manager somewhere or start up a boutique shop for myself->Biltmore house-esque summer home.

Also keep in mind a good chunk of my family attended Harvard, including a HLS alum. I attended HYP ug but am neither a Harvard or Yale guy (guess where then!)

Yale. ITE its the only sure thing. IT also helps with COA clerkships.

Also choke on a dick.

autao

Postby autao » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:41 pm

I too have pretty much made up my mind, but in the same vein as another thread on here I am in a long-term relationship. We have dated for 5 years and a ring is coming at the end of the month. She has two years left in pharmacy school. Would like to work in Atlanta ideally as in house counsel for a hospital. Tuition is unfortunately the same at both. Emory 2/3 scholarship and Texas 2/3 scholarship.

JTX

Postby JTX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:43 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
elmagic wrote:This is for the most part pretty entertaining, I have mostly made up my mind but I'd like to see what BP thinks.

Harvard or Yale

Fuck you.

+1. diaf.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:43 pm

autao wrote:I too have pretty much made up my mind, but in the same vein as another thread on here I am in a long-term relationship. We have dated for 5 years and a ring is coming at the end of the month. She has two years left in pharmacy school. Would like to work in Atlanta ideally as in house counsel for a hospital. Tuition is unfortunately the same at both. Emory 2/3 scholarship and Texas 2/3 scholarship.

return the ring. LS eats relationships and shits misery

elmagic

Postby elmagic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:43 pm

:(

autao

Postby autao » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:44 pm

IAFG wrote:
autao wrote:I too have pretty much made up my mind, but in the same vein as another thread on here I am in a long-term relationship. We have dated for 5 years and a ring is coming at the end of the month. She has two years left in pharmacy school. Would like to work in Atlanta ideally as in house counsel for a hospital. Tuition is unfortunately the same at both. Emory 2/3 scholarship and Texas 2/3 scholarship.

I know it will suck but I think I am capable. and Emory is two hours away and Texas is 12

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:46 pm

A wise poet once said, "Fuck bitches, get money."

JTX

Postby JTX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:A wise poet once said, "Fuck bitches, get money."

weezy?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:47 pm

autao wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I know it will suck but I think I am capable. and Emory is two hours away and Texas is 12

every married couple i have seen go to LS is divorcing now, hth

keemos

Postby keemos » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:47 pm

ohio state (sticker)
Pittsburgh (18K/yr)

don't care where i practice
might still get a scholly from OSU (i just got accepted)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:48 pm

IAFG wrote:
autao wrote:
IAFG wrote:

every married couple i have seen go to LS is divorcing now, hth

My only regret is I only have but one penis to coax heartbroken divorcees into pleasuring.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:50 pm

keemos wrote:ohio state (sticker)
Pittsburgh (18K/yr)

Ohio St. - easy

You should be able to secure in-state tuition (which is something pretty low, I'm thinking less than $25k/yr) at least after 1L, and you're going to the best law school in a state that actually has a pretty large legal market.

Corinne

Postby Corinne » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:51 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:
Corinne wrote:
jtxcounitah wrote:
Corinne wrote:I know I am very lucky

I'm New Jersey born and raised.

these seem to contradict.

Haha, New Jersey's not all Sopranos and Jersey Shore. I live in a nice suburban town about 15 minutes from NYC. :)

Seton Hall is the obvious choice? Maybe I'm missing something, but why leaning towards SD if you want to be in NYC?

Well, I've spent my whole life here and wouldn't mind a change for the next three years. All I was saying is I would want to come back and work in NYC. That's one of the few things holding me back from SDU because I know it will be harder to get a job in NYC if I go to school there. I feel like Seton Hall is a bit too close to home (about 20 minutes) and I worry that I won't be as able to focus on my studies when I already have a routine in this place. I know it doesn't make that much sense, but like I said, this would be my back up choice. I am still waiting to hear from Fordham and Columbia.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:51 pm

keemos wrote:ohio state (sticker)
Pittsburgh (18K/yr)

If you don't mind living in Ohio, go to OSU. It places pretty well in the state.

Corinne

Postby Corinne » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:55 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Corinne wrote:Ok, just as a disclaimer: I know I am very lucky, but I am also very indecisive.

I'm New Jersey born and raised and always hoped to go to a NYC school for law school. Unfortunately, with seat deposit extensions nearly running out, I still have not heard back from either of the schools I'm seriously considering in NYC. So, my goal right now is to chose between the other three schools that I am seriously considering as back up. I don't have a precise idea of what I want to do after law school, except that I would like to work in NYC at some point, and hopefully in family law at some point.

Notre Dame: Scholarship for $20k/year leaving me with the remainder of tuition and living expenses.

Seton Hall: Tuition scholarship - I would only pay living expenses.

San Diego: Almost tuition scholarship- I would pay $1k/year and living expenses.

I have been leaning toward San Diego, I visited and really liked it. Any advice would be appreciated, I only have until April 29th to send my seat deposit!

Thanks

San Diego will not get you to NYC. IMHO, Notre Dame is your best option, followed by Seton Hall.

Do you really think Notre Dame is superior enough to my other considerations to rack up around $40k/year in debt though?

alaskaman

Postby alaskaman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:04 pm

I'll bite --

GULC, UCLA or NU?

Considering government/policy work, litigation/AUSA, or regulatory work. Would like to clerk, would like the ability to do biglaw anywhere in the country with an eye on DC, California or Arizona (in that order).

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:07 pm

alaskaman wrote:I'll bite --

GULC, UCLA or NU?

Considering government/policy work, litigation/AUSA, or regulatory work. Would like to clerk, would like the ability to do biglaw anywhere in the country with an eye on DC, California or Arizona (in that order).

Big law anywhere? NU

California? UCLA

DC? Gtown

Arizona? NU/Gtown but that is a guess.

elmagic

Postby elmagic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Harvard or Yale

Also choke on a dick.

Seriously though, taking clerkships out of the question is Yale still the clear choice?

What kind of gets to me though is that when you start comparing alumni it seems like YLS grads are working in USAO and DOJ, while HLS grads are running Goldman Sachs and the free world while still holding down the Supreme Court. Self-selection?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:37 pm

elmagic wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Harvard or Yale

Also choke on a dick.

Seriously though, taking clerkships out of the question is Yale still the clear choice?

What kind of gets to me though is that when you start comparing alumni it seems like YLS grads are working in USAO and DOJ, while HLS grads are running Goldman Sachs and the free world while still holding down the Supreme Court. Self-selection?

Also Harvard has a significantly larger class size. Picking one HLS who is a CEO is a futile because you won't have a good shot from either school. But if you wanna move into business, Harvard does has more lay prestige because of HBS.

Yale has had 10 supreme court justices while Harvard has 16. But HLS is a much bigger class. Sounds like Yale is your best bet there, but of course, like being a CEO you have zero shot.

As far as I can tell a Yale JD means you'll get a big law offer.

pinkhearts

Postby pinkhearts » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:56 pm

ucla with insignificant $
cornell, probs sticker

wouldn't mind working in so cal market, but there is something alluring about at least interviewing for NY firms, which i assume i will not get at ucla.

APimpNamedSlickback

x

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:04 pm

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”