BP decides where you go to law school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
D. H2Oman

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:53 pm

faceman9000 wrote:I'm going to UMN. I have submitted SD to UMN. I want to work in MN. I'm definitely going to UMN.

Should I go to UMN??

Goals: Spend a lot of time in Vegas and ultimately become a thrice divorced degenerate gambling lawyer. Possibly stir up a class action suit for exploited prostitutes.

You should go to UMN.

now more importantly: I'VE GOT HOT NBA FIRST ROUND PLAYOFF PICKS. EVERY GAME ONLY $399. ORDER IN THE NEXT 10 MINUTES AND I THROW IN A NAKED FAT CHICKS PIN UP CALENDER.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:55 pm

faceman9000 wrote:I'm going to UMN. I have submitted SD to UMN. I want to work in MN. I'm definitely going to UMN.

Should I go to UMN??

Goals: Spend a lot of time in Vegas and ultimately become a thrice divorced degenerate gambling lawyer. Possibly stir up a class action suit for exploited prostitutes.

What a horrible life decision with these goals, William Mitchell was the clear choice here, bro.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:55 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

Should I go to UMN??

You should go to UMN.

now more importantly: I'VE GOT HOT NBA FIRST ROUND PLAYOFF PICKS. EVERY GAME ONLY $399. ORDER IN THE NEXT 10 MINUTES AND I THROW IN A NAKED FAT CHICKS PIN UP CALENDER.

Credit card number pmed.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:01 pm

Goals: Public interest law with focus on International Law, especially human rights/economic development.

Choices
Fordham- (Full tuition)
Duke- ($48,000)

Need to make a decision by Monday. Duke is JD/LLM program in International Law. I live on the west coast so I have no connections to either North Carolina or New York. I don't like to drive so not having a car is a plus.

faceman9000

Postby faceman9000 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:05 pm

mistergoft wrote:

Should I go to UMN??

What a horrible life decision with these goals, William Mitchell was the clear choice here, bro.

You're absolutely right...New goals are in the works. Although Bill Mitchell is T100 now it seems. Creepin'.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:07 pm

Hey-O wrote:Goals: Public interest law with focus on International Law, especially human rights/economic development.

Choices
Fordham- (Full tuition)
Duke- ($48,000)

Need to make a decision by Monday. Duke is JD/LLM program in International Law. I live on the west coast so I have no connections to either North Carolina or New York. I don't like to drive so not having a car is a plus.

Duke. With PI debt doesn't matter since you'll never make enough to pay it.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Hey-O wrote:Goals: Public interest law with focus on International Law, especially human rights/economic development.

Choices
Fordham- (Full tuition)
Duke- ($48,000)

Duke. With PI debt doesn't matter since you'll never make enough to pay it.

This, it's not a hard choice even for PI.

awawa

Postby awawa » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
awawa wrote:I really wanna be in Chi/NY/DC where the jobs are...

You fail at researching.

NYC was hit even worse than Chicago. DC is doing fine but was always hard.

Staying regional imo is a plus.

I wish my region wasn't Chicago. At least I'd have a backup market. Now I'm going to target Chicago and Silicon Valley. Urgh. I better fucking gun.

Silicon Valley and Seattle/NW are almost as badly hit as NY/Chi/DC. Remember all the closures in SFO? Plus, Seattle is losing almost all big law firms. Jones is puling out, Perkins is in trouble, DWT is a joke, KL Gates is now an east coast firm.

Being regional also means, you earn 85k starting - is that why you spent 150k to go law school? My current salary is around that already.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:12 pm

faceman9000 wrote:You're absolutely right...New goals are in the works. Although Bill Mitchell is T100 now it seems. Creepin'.

The fuck?

Damn, I might just have to transfer now.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:13 pm

awawa wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
awawa wrote:I really wanna be in Chi/NY/DC where the jobs are...

You fail at researching.

NYC was hit even worse than Chicago. DC is doing fine but was always hard.

Staying regional imo is a plus.

I wish my region wasn't Chicago. At least I'd have a backup market. Now I'm going to target Chicago and Silicon Valley. Urgh. I better fucking gun.

Silicon Valley and Seattle/NW are almost as badly hit as NY/Chi/DC. Remember all the closures in SFO? Plus, Seattle is losing almost all big law firms. Jones is puling out, Perkins is in trouble, DWT is a joke, KL Gates is now an east coast firm.

Being regional also means, you earn 85k starting - is that why you spent 150k to go law school? My current salary is around that already.

Well if you want a major market, UIUC it is. Though if I were you I'd retake the LSAT and apply next cycle again. Too much risk at those schools.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:14 pm

awawa wrote:Silicon Valley and Seattle/NW are almost as badly hit as NY/Chi/DC. Remember all the closures in SFO? Plus, Seattle is losing almost all big law firms. Jones is puling out, Perkins is in trouble, DWT is a joke, KL Gates is now an east coast firm.

Being regional also means, you earn 85k starting - is that you spent 150k to go law school? My current salary is at that already.

Oh jesus, bro at any of those schools starting at 85K would be considered pretty damn good.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:16 pm

faceman9000 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Buffalo
Albany
Vermont

Thx.

It doesn't really matter, you'll end up teaching English in South Korea regardless.

Extreme LOL...Let me guess, you have 3-5 friends out there right now? I do.

France is better.

awawa

Postby awawa » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:17 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
awawa wrote:Silicon Valley and Seattle/NW are almost as badly hit as NY/Chi/DC. Remember all the closures in SFO? Plus, Seattle is losing almost all big law firms. Jones is puling out, Perkins is in trouble, DWT is a joke, KL Gates is now an east coast firm.

Being regional also means, you earn 85k starting - is that you spent 150k to go law school? My current salary is at that already.

Oh jesus, bro at any of those schools starting at 85K would be considered pretty damn good.

Yeah? Not for UW or UIUC or UGa ... starting averages are well over 115K.

AL, IU - yeah.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:17 pm

awawa wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

AL, IU - yeah.

Not in this economy.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:18 pm

awawa wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

AL, IU - yeah.

Bad economy now, plus those stats were always severely inflated.

awawa

Postby awawa » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Well if you want a major market, UIUC it is. Though if I were you I'd retake the LSAT and apply next cycle again. Too much risk at those schools.

I am thinking about transferring out after 1L. Taking the LSAT, re-applying is just impractical at this point.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:20 pm

awawa wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Well if you want a major market, UIUC it is. Though if I were you I'd retake the LSAT and apply next cycle again. Too much risk at those schools.

I am thinking about transferring out after 1L. Taking the LSAT, re-applying is just impractical at this point.

Never count on the transfer. What are your stats? LSAT/GPA

awawa

Postby awawa » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:21 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
awawa wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

AL, IU - yeah.

Bad economy now, plus those stats were always severely inflated.

Guys, I am not talking about random, shit ass, clown-face law firms. I am confining myself to NLJ250 law-firms based in the respective regions.

Given that clarification, my numbers above are well within reason.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:22 pm

awawa wrote:

DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL THINKING YOU WILL DO WELL AND BE ABLE TO TRANSFER. God.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:23 pm

awawa wrote:

If you get a good enough 1L to transfer you'll have good enough grades to get a job anyway.

Retaking and reapplying is much easier than doing good during 1L.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:24 pm

awawa wrote:Guys, I am not talking about random, shit ass, clown-face law firms. I am confining myself to NLJ250 law-firms based in the respective regions.

L O L, dude this is not like a fucking bingo tournament at the senior citizens center you don't get to just sign up.

mdgold

Postby mdgold » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:33 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
mdgold wrote:Brooklyn- 7k/year
Cardozo- 7.6k/year
GW- sticker
Fordham WL (so sticker if i get in)

want NYC for sure, hopefully big law but am realistic ITE.

please help!

NYC for sure = Cardozo, or Fordham if you get in.

Open to eastern seaboard = GW, but you say NYC, so go NYC.
I'd urge GW, just because it tends to have better biglaw placement, but that comes with less access to NYC. Go to Fordham if you get in.

All my family/friends/SO are in NY, so I'd much rather stay in NY. Also, did not love how isolated the GW campus felt

awawa

Postby awawa » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:02 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
awawa wrote:Guys, I am not talking about random, shit ass, clown-face law firms. I am confining myself to NLJ250 law-firms based in the respective regions.

L O L, dude this is not like a fucking bingo tournament at the senior citizens center you don't get to just sign up.

You're a clown, did you know that?

I earn more than 90k right now (plus lotsa benefits). I am not going to law school, spending 150k to earn less than 90k. I want to be a lawyer, which is why I am going to law school. But, I am not going to settle for anything less than my current salary.

I know I can and will do well in law school. I am horrible with the LSAT (which explains the horrible choices), but I have worked with law profs and helped 2 write their papers. I wrote almost 80% for one guy and it was published in a top journal.

If you set your goal at 50k, you will end up at 30k. Aim higher. Much higher. Then you can end up somewhere reasonable.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:07 pm

awawa wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

You're a clown, did you know that?

I earn more than 90k right now (plus lotsa benefits). I am not going to law school, spending 150k to earn less than 90k. I want to be a lawyer, which is why I am going to law school. But, I am not going to settle for anything less than my current salary.
I know I can and will do well in law school. I am horrible with the LSAT (which explains the horrible choice), but I have worked with law profs and helped 2 write their papers.

If you set your goal at 50k, you will end up at 30k. Aim higher.

The stupid just flows from you. And there is "lotsa" it.

If you are going to law school to make more than you currently do, you are a moron. You'll probably make less than 70k, whereas staying at your current job you would be well over 100k.

You. Are. Stupid.

smashedpumpkins

Postby smashedpumpkins » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:08 pm

CLS with Hamilton (total debt = 10k)

HLS (total debt = 130k)
Last edited by smashedpumpkins on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”