BP decides where you go to law school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:51 pm

ihurtmyselftoday wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Gtown, unless penn lets you off.


Suprised to see that from you actually.

WTF is BP anyway?


A joke thread started during the being of the cycle for people who were Bitter and Pessimistic. The original thread got deleted and I started a new one. So basically a group of misfits and idiots.

User avatar
smartblonde87
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby smartblonde87 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ihurtmyselftoday wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Gtown, unless penn lets you off.


Suprised to see that from you actually.

WTF is BP anyway?


A joke thread started during the being of the cycle for people who were Bitter and Pessimistic. The original thread got deleted and I started a new one. So basically a group of misfits and idiots.


You are my hero.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:57 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
ihurtmyselftoday wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Gtown, unless penn lets you off.


Suprised to see that from you actually.

WTF is BP anyway?


A joke thread started during the being of the cycle for people who were Bitter and Pessimistic. The original thread got deleted and I started a new one. So basically a group of misfits and idiots.


You are my hero.


Well I always love a smart blonde.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Well I always love a smart blonde.



You'll take almost any blonde, perhaps even Boo.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:58 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Well I always love a smart blonde.



You'll take almost any blonde, perhaps even Boo.


Boo takes me.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ihurtmyselftoday wrote:GWU- $105K
Georgetown- $45K
UPenn- WL (probably sticker price if accepted)

$=total scholarship

Factors:
-Primary interest in Human Rights Law, Criminal Law, Trial Advocacy, Litigation
-Prefer DOJ employment
-Would prefer to live in Philadelphia for school
-Would like to maintain possibility for BigLaw
-Have professional contacts in DC, including in BigLaw
-No interest in coporate/finance law


Gtown, unless penn lets you off.

awawa
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:27 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby awawa » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:10 pm

Illinois: Sticker
Indiana: $15k scholly
U Washington: Sticker (in state)
Georgia: $8k scholly
Alabama: $15k scholly

WL'ed at several places but withdrew from all.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:11 pm

awawa wrote:Illinois: Sticker
Indiana: $15k scholly
U Washington: Sticker (in state)
Georgia: $8k scholly
Alabama: $15k scholly

WL'ed at several places but withdrew from all.



Where we you like to end up bro, what are your goals?


Also, how much is in-state at UW worth? 15k?

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:46 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
awawa wrote:Illinois: Sticker
Indiana: $15k scholly
U Washington: Sticker (in state)
Georgia: $8k scholly
Alabama: $15k scholly

WL'ed at several places but withdrew from all.



Where we you like to end up bro, what are your goals?


Also, how much is in-state at UW worth? 15k?


TITCQ. My first instinct was UW.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:48 pm

awawa wrote:Illinois: Sticker
Indiana: $15k scholly
U Washington: Sticker (in state)
Georgia: $8k scholly
Alabama: $15k scholly

WL'ed at several places but withdrew from all.

University of Washington dominates its respective market, being, what, the only decent school in all of Washington. If you want to practice there you really can't go wrong.

User avatar
Joan Hollaway
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby Joan Hollaway » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
smartblonde87 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
A joke thread started during the being of the cycle for people who were Bitter and Pessimistic. The original thread got deleted and I started a new one. So basically a group of misfits and idiots.


You are my hero.


Well I always love a smart blonde.


ITT: DF is still irrationally adored by the masses

awawa
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:27 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby awawa » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:13 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
awawa wrote:Illinois: Sticker
Indiana: $15k scholly
U Washington: Sticker (in state)
Georgia: $8k scholly
Alabama: $15k scholly

WL'ed at several places but withdrew from all.



Where we you like to end up bro, what are your goals?


Also, how much is in-state at UW worth? 15k?



It's 22.5k right now, but UW just dropped 4 ranks to 34 and is on a terrible downward trajectory. UIUC went up to 21, and Georgia is also up at 28.

I was thinking seriously about UW but I am not so sure anymore. I really wanna be in Chi/NY/DC where the jobs are...

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:17 pm

awawa wrote:It's 22.5k right now, but UW just dropped 4 ranks to 34 and is on a terrible downward trajectory. UIUC went up to 21, and Georgia is also up at 28.

I was thinking seriously about UW but I am not so sure anymore. I really wanna be in Chi/NY/DC where the jobs are...


Every school you listed was a good but regional school. Don't worry about these minor rankings movements. They're almost entirely irrelevant.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:22 pm

awawa wrote:I really wanna be in Chi/NY/DC where the jobs are...

You fail at researching.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:24 pm

mistergoft wrote:
awawa wrote:I really wanna be in Chi/NY/DC where the jobs are...

You fail at researching.


NYC was hit even worse than Chicago. DC is doing fine but was always hard.

Staying regional imo is a plus.

I wish my region wasn't Chicago. At least I'd have a backup market. Now I'm going to target Chicago and Silicon Valley. Urgh. I better fucking gun.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:25 pm

Goals: Practice law in the Midwest (preferably in St. Louis, but Chicago would be okay too). Would like big law if it is available, but am not big law or bust. 168/3.75. Lived in Illinois my entire life and want a change of pace for law school and beyond (preferably a more urban setting).

Choices
UIUC- (Full tuition, estimated COA $50,000)
WUSTL- ($75k scholly, estimated COA $95,000)
Cornell- (Sticker)
Also have a WL at Michigan.

Already withdrew from Vandy (60k scholly). Cornell's deadline is today and I believe UIUC's is next week. I'm about 95% sure I am going to WUSTL, but I wanted to check with the BP gods to make sure I'm not making a bad decision.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:28 pm

romothesavior wrote:Goals: Practice law in the Midwest (preferably in St. Louis, but Chicago would be okay too). Would like big law if it is available, but am not big law or bust. 168/3.75. Lived in Illinois my entire life and want a change of pace for law school and beyond (preferably a more urban setting).

Choices
UIUC- (Full tuition, estimated COA $50,000)
WUSTL- ($75k scholly, estimated COA $95,000)
Cornell- (Sticker)
Also have a WL at Michigan.

Already withdrew from Vandy (60k scholly). Cornell's deadline is today and I believe UIUC's is next week. I'm about 95% sure I am going to WUSTL, but I wanted to check with the BP gods to make sure I'm not making a bad decision.


Wustl for 100K or Cornell for 200K? That is a no brainer. Cornell.

I don't know how WUSTL's OCI went, but UIUC's was a retardedly bad.

I know you hated Central Illinois, but how much is St Louis than UIUC campus? I would have gone UIUC, but I'm 100% sure I want chicago.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Goals: Practice law in the Midwest (preferably in St. Louis, but Chicago would be okay too). Would like big law if it is available, but am not big law or bust. 168/3.75. Lived in Illinois my entire life and want a change of pace for law school and beyond (preferably a more urban setting).

Choices
UIUC- (Full tuition, estimated COA $50,000)
WUSTL- ($75k scholly, estimated COA $95,000)
Cornell- (Sticker)
Also have a WL at Michigan.

Already withdrew from Vandy (60k scholly). Cornell's deadline is today and I believe UIUC's is next week. I'm about 95% sure I am going to WUSTL, but I wanted to check with the BP gods to make sure I'm not making a bad decision.


Wustl for 100K or Cornell for 200K? That is a no brainer. Cornell.

I don't know how WUSTL's OCI went, but UIUC's was a retardedly bad.

I know you hated Central Illinois, but how much is St Louis than UIUC campus? I would have gone UIUC, but I'm 100% sure I want chicago.


Not sure I understand the second to last sentence. How much more is St. Louis than UIUC? How much better is St. Louis than UIUC? What do you mean there?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Goals: Practice law in the Midwest (preferably in St. Louis, but Chicago would be okay too). Would like big law if it is available, but am not big law or bust. 168/3.75. Lived in Illinois my entire life and want a change of pace for law school and beyond (preferably a more urban setting).

Choices
UIUC- (Full tuition, estimated COA $50,000)
WUSTL- ($75k scholly, estimated COA $95,000)
Cornell- (Sticker)
Also have a WL at Michigan.

Already withdrew from Vandy (60k scholly). Cornell's deadline is today and I believe UIUC's is next week. I'm about 95% sure I am going to WUSTL, but I wanted to check with the BP gods to make sure I'm not making a bad decision.


Wustl for 100K or Cornell for 200K? That is a no brainer. Cornell.

I don't know how WUSTL's OCI went, but UIUC's was a retardedly bad.

I know you hated Central Illinois, but how much is St Louis than UIUC campus? I would have gone UIUC, but I'm 100% sure I want chicago.


Not sure I understand the second to last sentence. How much more is St. Louis than UIUC? How much better is St. Louis than UIUC? What do you mean there?


Yea, how much better is St Louis's quality of life than that of living near UIUC's campus. Is it worth 50K.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Goals: Practice law in the Midwest (preferably in St. Louis, but Chicago would be okay too). Would like big law if it is available, but am not big law or bust. 168/3.75. Lived in Illinois my entire life and want a change of pace for law school and beyond (preferably a more urban setting).

Choices
UIUC- (Full tuition, estimated COA $50,000)
WUSTL- ($75k scholly, estimated COA $95,000)
Cornell- (Sticker)
Also have a WL at Michigan.

Already withdrew from Vandy (60k scholly). Cornell's deadline is today and I believe UIUC's is next week. I'm about 95% sure I am going to WUSTL, but I wanted to check with the BP gods to make sure I'm not making a bad decision.


Wustl for 100K or Cornell for 200K? That is a no brainer. Cornell.

I don't know how WUSTL's OCI went, but UIUC's was a retardedly bad.

I know you hated Central Illinois, but how much is St Louis than UIUC campus? I would have gone UIUC, but I'm 100% sure I want chicago.


Not sure I understand the second to last sentence. How much more is St. Louis than UIUC? How much better is St. Louis than UIUC? What do you mean there?


Yea, how much better is St Louis's quality of life than that of living near UIUC's campus. Is it worth 50K.


Personally, I love St. Louis and I would love to live in the Forest Park area (near WUSTL). I have lived in medium-sized Central Illinois towns my entire life (both my hometown and my undergrad town are about the same size as Champaign-Urbana). Between St. Louis, Champaign, Ithaca, and Ann Arbor, I think St. Louis is the clear winner in terms of quality of life. Whether it is worth an additional 50k over UIUC, I don't know. As I said, I love St. Louis and it is my top choice for market, which is why I'm leaning towards WUSTL.

I guess my real concern is this: Will Cornell give me better career prospects in St. Louis or Chicago than Wash U will? And please don't give me the typical "Duh, its T-14" response. I want some solid numbers or evidence one way or the other, if you can.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:43 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:[

Wustl for 100K or Cornell for 200K? That is a no brainer. Cornell.

I don't know how WUSTL's OCI went, but UIUC's was a retardedly bad.

I know you hated Central Illinois, but how much is St Louis than UIUC campus? I would have gone UIUC, but I'm 100% sure I want chicago.


Not sure I understand the second to last sentence. How much more is St. Louis than UIUC? How much better is St. Louis than UIUC? What do you mean there?


Yea, how much better is St Louis's quality of life than that of living near UIUC's campus. Is it worth 50K.


Personally, I love St. Louis and I would love to live in the Forest Park area (near WUSTL). I have lived in medium-sized Central Illinois towns my entire life (both my hometown and my undergrad town are about the same size as Champaign-Urbana). Between St. Louis, Champaign, Ithaca, and Ann Arbor, I think St. Louis is the clear winner in terms of quality of life. Whether it is worth an additional 50k over UIUC, I don't know. As I said, I love St. Louis and it is my top choice for market, which is why I'm leaning towards WUSTL.

I guess my real concern is this: Will Cornell give me better career prospects in St. Louis or Chicago than Wash U will? And please don't give me the typical "Duh, its T-14" response. I want some solid numbers or evidence one way or the other, if you can.


Chicago? Probably. The big Chicago firms recruit there. But I'm not sure about St Louis and but its very possible they do not recruit at Cornell, and thus making it really hard to get a job.

I think I've asked you in the past, but did you try to leverage WUSTL with UIUC's offer? Because a full ride at WUSTL would be the clear winner.

If you really love St Louis, then go to WUSTL but finish near the top of your class. From what I've heard, you can't guarantee anything, but if you are smart you can study into the top third by sheer force alone. So ace 1L and you'll have no problem in St Louis.

User avatar
faceman9000
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:34 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby faceman9000 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:47 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Buffalo
Albany
Vermont


Thx.



It doesn't really matter, you'll end up teaching English in South Korea regardless.



Extreme LOL...Let me guess, you have 3-5 friends out there right now? I do.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Yea, how much better is St Louis's quality of life than that of living near UIUC's campus. Is it worth 50K.


Personally, I love St. Louis and I would love to live in the Forest Park area (near WUSTL). I have lived in medium-sized Central Illinois towns my entire life (both my hometown and my undergrad town are about the same size as Champaign-Urbana). Between St. Louis, Champaign, Ithaca, and Ann Arbor, I think St. Louis is the clear winner in terms of quality of life. Whether it is worth an additional 50k over UIUC, I don't know. As I said, I love St. Louis and it is my top choice for market, which is why I'm leaning towards WUSTL.

I guess my real concern is this: Will Cornell give me better career prospects in St. Louis or Chicago than Wash U will? And please don't give me the typical "Duh, its T-14" response. I want some solid numbers or evidence one way or the other, if you can.


Chicago? Probably. The big Chicago firms recruit there. But I'm not sure about St Louis and but its very possible they do not recruit at Cornell, and thus making it really hard to get a job.

I think I've asked you in the past, but did you try to leverage WUSTL with UIUC's offer? Because a full ride at WUSTL would be the clear winner.

If you really love St Louis, then go to WUSTL but finish near the top of your class. From what I've heard, you can't guarantee anything, but if you are smart you can study into the top third by sheer force alone. So ace 1L and you'll have no problem in St Louis.


I did try to leverage WUSTL with UIUC's offer, but to no avail. It sounds like they are over their scholarship budget, and I haven't heard any negotiating success stories there yet. If Michigan comes through, I think Michigan becomes the no-brainer. If I get into UM, I'll see if WUSTL will up the offer over the summer, and if not I'll go to Michigan.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I'm not crazy then. And although I don't think I'm a brilliant scholar or anything, I do think I am strong enough to get into the top 1/3.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:48 pm

faceman9000 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:Buffalo
Albany
Vermont


Thx.



It doesn't really matter, you'll end up teaching English in South Korea regardless.



Extreme LOL...Let me guess, you have 3-5 friends out there right now? I do.


T14scholly is trying to chose between Albany, Buffalo, and Vermont? For real? Talk about a cycle-buzz kill.

User avatar
faceman9000
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:34 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby faceman9000 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:50 pm

I'm going to UMN. I have submitted SD to UMN. I want to work in MN. I'm definitely going to UMN.

Should I go to UMN??

Goals: Spend a lot of time in Vegas and ultimately become a thrice divorced degenerate gambling lawyer. Possibly stir up a class action suit for exploited prostitutes.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: badnewsbears, Google [Bot], KeYe88 and 1 guest