BP decides where you go to law school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tangential886

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby tangential886 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:59 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
tangential886 wrote:Michigan even if I definitely don't want to practice in the northeast or midwest?

Where do you want to practice?

Big cities in the southeast or California.

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:59 pm

IAFG wrote:
hellokitty wrote:
IAFG wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:Real mature IFAG. Telling people to go work as a secretary and work you way up is stupid.

really? explain to me why HK and you should not get entry-level jobs.

IAFG, why do you think we should get entry level jobs? If it's only on the basis of an LSAT score, I disagree. If it's because you think that no one is "too good" for an entry level job, including yourself, then I can kinda, slightly understand your point.

i got an entry-level job out of school, and moved up. after not that long too. it is just so naive to get a professional degree because you don't want to do entry-level work. what do you think 1st year associates are doing, flying to Paris to negotiate major deals?

IAFG, Ahhh okay gotcha. My reason for not wanting to skip law school and work is because there is nothing that I want to do that doesn't involve a grad degree. I really really want to break into immigration law. Other than that I'd say I'd like to teach English or Spanish. But I would be the world's worst secretary, too forgetful and too bad at organization. I was an assistant manager in high school and at the beginning of college, I was actually pretty good at that, but it was a children's birthday party store, kinda my niche. Also, my parents are also going to cut me off if I don't go to law or grad school. It's just best in my situation to wait a year and try once more. Everything points to wait another year, at least in my case.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:00 pm

tangential886 wrote:Michigan even if I definitely don't want to practice in the northeast or midwest?

Michigan has a strong Alumni network and can probably get you out West much better than UVA or GULC. Also, they offered you a bunch of money. Go to Michigan.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:01 pm

hellokitty wrote: I really really want to break into immigration law.

okay... why? have you applied for legal asst jobs at some immigration firms?

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:01 pm

hellokitty wrote:IAFG, Ahhh okay gotcha. My reason for not wanting to skip law school and work is because there is nothing that I want to do that doesn't involve a grad degree. I really really want to break into immigration law. Other than that I'd say I'd like to teach English or Spanish. But I would be the world's worst secretary, too forgetful and too bad at organization. I was an assistant manager in high school and at the beginning of college, I was actually pretty good at that, but it was a children's birthday party store, kinda my niche. Also, my parents are also going to cut me off if I don't go to law or grad school. It's just best in my situation to wait a year and try once more. Everything points to wait another year, at least in my case.

Bolded =/= too smart for entry level work.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:02 pm

tangential886 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Where do you want to practice?

Big cities in the southeast or California.

I would probably stick with Michigan unless you can get something close to 54K at UVA.

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:05 pm

IAFG wrote:

I worked at an Immigration Law Firm last summer. I fell in love. Before that, I kinda thought it was something I wanted to try, but after I knew I had to do it. I met people from all over the world, I got to sit in on Immigration hearings, do case research (that I enjoyed), and overall it was just all around a great experience.

acdisagod

Postby acdisagod » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:08 pm

Fordham 75k
Cornell sticker
Georgetown sticker

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:08 pm

hellokitty wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I worked at an Immigration Law Firm last summer. I fell in love. Before that, I kinda thought it was something I wanted to try, but after I knew I had to do it. I met people from all over the world, I got to sit in on Immigration hearings, do case research (that I enjoyed), and overall it was just all around a great experience.

luckily this is easy to get from shitty schools. go to whichever school gives you the most money.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:08 pm

acdisagod wrote:Fordham 75k
Cornell sticker
Georgetown sticker

I'd probably choose Cornell.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:10 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
Cornell sticker
Georgetown sticker

You didn't ask for his goals, you irresponsible bastard.

Goals?

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:10 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
hellokitty wrote:IAFG, Ahhh okay gotcha. My reason for not wanting to skip law school and work is because there is nothing that I want to do that doesn't involve a grad degree. I really really want to break into immigration law. Other than that I'd say I'd like to teach English or Spanish. But I would be the world's worst secretary, too forgetful and too bad at organization. I was an assistant manager in high school and at the beginning of college, I was actually pretty good at that, but it was a children's birthday party store, kinda my niche. Also, my parents are also going to cut me off if I don't go to law or grad school. It's just best in my situation to wait a year and try once more. Everything points to wait another year, at least in my case.

I think people can be smart in different ways. I'm bad at remembering seemingly unimportant things if I don't have them written down, and yeah I'm kinda unorganized but I'm not sure how organization correlates to intelligence...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Okay don't kill me... but what does BP stand for? I know what it is and I am familiar with most of the posters involved with it, and I also know it is similar to Banter and TTC, but what does it actually stand for and how did it start?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:Okay don't kill me... but what does BP stand for? I know what it is and I am familiar with most of the posters involved with it, and I also know it is similar to Banter and TTC, but what does it actually stand for and how did it start?

bitter pessimism... just a bunch of malcontent assholes

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:Okay don't kill me... but what does BP stand for? I know what it is and I am familiar with most of the posters involved with it, and I also know it is similar to Banter and TTC, but what does it actually stand for and how did it start?

Bitter Pessimism.

Back in the fall there was an optimism thread full of people kissing each other's asses. Another poster thought a Pessimism thread would be more appropriate. The rest is history.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:17 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:

Bitter Pessimism.

Back in the fall there was an optimism thread full of people kissing each other's asses. Another poster thought a Pessimism thread would be more appropriate. The rest is history.

Ah yes, I do recall the USS Bitter Pessimism thread now that you mention it. Just needed to jog my memory.

And while they may be malcontent assholes, TLS wouldn't be nearly as fun without the quick one-liners from DH2O and DF.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:18 pm

hellokitty wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:

I think people can be smart in different ways. I'm bad at remembering seemingly unimportant things if I don't have them written down, and yeah I'm kinda unorganized but I'm not sure how organization correlates to intelligence...

Exactly. But you originally said you were flat out too smart for entry level work.

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:20 pm

JordynAsh wrote: Exactly. But you originally said you were flat out too smart for entry level work.

I think I said I was too smart to end up a career secretary...? Pretty sure that's along the lines of what I said. Not gonna scroll back and look, but yeah.

acdisagod

Postby acdisagod » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:30 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
Cornell sticker
Georgetown sticker

Goals?

Unsure, probably biglaw for 2-3 years then good government work. Want to live in NY more than D.C. but D.C. would be cool.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:30 pm

hellokitty wrote:
JordynAsh wrote: Exactly. But you originally said you were flat out too smart for entry level work.

I think I said I was too smart to end up a career secretary...? Pretty sure that's along the lines of what I said. Not gonna scroll back and look, but yeah.

Don't you mean you're smart in a different ways?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:31 pm

acdisagod wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
Cornell sticker
Georgetown sticker

Goals?

Unsure, probably biglaw for 2-3 years then good government work. Want to live in NY more than D.C. but D.C. would be cool.

Then Cornell.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:31 pm

acdisagod wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
Cornell sticker
Georgetown sticker

Goals?

Go to Cornell then, have fun skiing.

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:32 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
hellokitty wrote:

I'm not sure what you're getting at...whatever it is I said, at this point I'm not sure it really matters...I feel like we're going in circles...

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:35 pm

hellokitty wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:
hellokitty wrote:

I'm not sure what you're getting at...whatever it is I said, at this point I'm not sure it really matters...I feel like we're going in circles...

Haha not really, you're just contradicting yourself, and I was somewhat amused by it.

rputt3256

Postby rputt3256 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:38 pm

BU 30K of scholarships
GW Sticker
UT Sticker
USC Sticker
Cardozo & Brooklyn Full-Ride

I'm not sure I want biglaw, but I am not ruling it out either. I want a degree with the most portability (i.e. not a regional school). I'm looking to practice in NYC, DC, LA, or Austin.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”