BP decides where you go to law school Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JCougar

Gold

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Post by JCougar » Mon May 03, 2010 10:14 pm

romothesavior wrote:
JCougar wrote:Here we go for me:

WUSTL - Hold List
Illinois - Wait List
Minnesota - Pending (tuition reciprocity saves me $5,000/year)
Wisconsin - Accepted (in-state tuition)
Cornell - Pending

Also...
FSU - Accepted
UF - Waitlist

in case I change my mind and want to stay in Florida.

Want to practice biglaw somewhere in the Midwest, preferably Chicago, but other cities like St. Louis, Milwaukee or Minneapolis would be fine. Somewhat bombed both my September and December LSATs, got my 168 in February of this year, which really has slowed down my application cycle. I have corporate WE at some Fortune 110 companies and a MS degree as well. Lots of political volunteer experience. Will I get off any waitlists? Will I EVER get a decision from Minnesota or Cornell? Or have I hosed myself with my late applications? Will I choose big city over going to law school in a corn field?
JCougar... what is your GPA?

I knwo you really, really want Wash U, and I can't see you getting rejected there next year with a 168. I'll bet you'd even get a scholarship at WUSTL and could possibly even crack the T14 if your GPA is good. A year off can't hurt.
GPA = 2.95

I'm 29 already, don't want to take a year off. I absolutely can't stand two more months at my job, let alone another year. I have no idea what else I can do until then. I need to get this over with so I can start a family.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue May 04, 2010 6:18 pm

You have the numbers for Minn, UIUC, WUSTL, but not Cornell. You'd be in if you applied again next cycle. Retake 171+ and ED to be in at NU next cycle.

I guess UW over FSU, but it's not like a golden ticket to biglaw or anything.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Tue May 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Scuzzlebutt wrote:Need some advice here!

What to do? Where to go? You know the questions. I need the answers.

Here are my options:

NYC (Home):
Brooklyn: Full scholly
Cardozo: 3/4 scholly
Fordham: Waitlist

Elsewhere:
Pitt: Full scholly
Northeastern: Slim scholly
Wisconsin: Waitlist
Notre Dame: Waitlist
Hastings: Waitlist
Minnesota: In Review
McGill: In Review

I guess most of those are not really options, just considerations. I hate waiting.
It's obviously between Brooklyn and Cardozo. Did you visit the schools? You like one of them better?

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Tue May 04, 2010 7:05 pm

NayBoer wrote:You have the numbers for Minn, UIUC, WUSTL, but not Cornell. You'd be in if you applied again next cycle. Retake 171+ and ED to be in at NU next cycle.

I think he already took the LSAT three times (Sep/Dec/Feb). He's stuck with the 168.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue May 04, 2010 7:46 pm

existenz wrote:
NayBoer wrote:You have the numbers for Minn, UIUC, WUSTL, but not Cornell. You'd be in if you applied again next cycle. Retake 171+ and ED to be in at NU next cycle.

I think he already took the LSAT three times (Sep/Dec/Feb). He's stuck with the 168.
Good point. Though you can take a fourth time if you get a school to give you a permission slip.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue May 04, 2010 8:33 pm

As has been noted, I've taken the LSAT thrice.

Waitlist activity is only beginning at Illinois, Minnesota, and WUSTL, so we will see what happens. I've recently visited campus at two of the three and sent in LOCIs as well. I'd be pretty comfortable at any of those three. I can't imagine what I would do for another year. Staying at my current job is NOT an option. If I get rejected from the Minnesota/Illinois/WUSTL triumvirate, I think I'd rather go to Wisconsin than wait another year. ITE, none of these three are golden tickets to biglaw either, so I'm going to have to bust my ass either way. Also, WUSTL seems to be giving less and less money to splitters as time goes by.

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Tue May 04, 2010 8:49 pm

Does Minnesota belong in the WUSTL/Illinois/ND group?

Their ranking and medians suggest yes, but their placement suggests they are in the IUB/Iowa/Wisconsin group.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue May 04, 2010 10:20 pm

DerrickRose wrote:Does Minnesota belong in the WUSTL/Illinois/ND group?

Their ranking and medians suggest yes, but their placement suggests they are in the IUB/Iowa/Wisconsin group.
I don't think IUB belongs with Iowa and Wisconsin. Wisconsin actually was pretty close to WUSTL and Illinois in NLJ 250 placement for c/o 2009, with only slightly lower Article III clerkships. I guess I would lump Minnesota in with Iowa, but not IUB. But Minnesota is in an awesome city, I get reciprocity there, plus they sometimes offer pretty decent splitter scholarships.

The difference between WUSTL/Illinois/ND and Wisconsin/Minnesota/Iowa is top 33% = biglaw versus top 25% = biglaw (but it is probably worse for both groups ITE). That's not a huge difference for me, and when you factor in cost and quality of life, I don't really care too much. I used to be gung-ho about WUSTL, but they kind of fudge their placement stats and won't tell you the response rate for the salary question on their survey. All these schools are more or less close to being equal. If you want the V100 jobs you pretty much need Order of the Coif from all. If you graduate in the bottom 60% of your class, you're screwed. The only difference is that WUSTL/ND/UIUC help you out more if you finish between top 25% and 40%.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Fri May 21, 2010 9:52 pm

I want to play!

Accepted:
Fordham (apx. $90K)
Cornell (off Reserve today - so assume little to no aid)

Still wait listed:
Michigan
Columbia
Northwestern

Want: NYC, biglaw/judicial clerkship. Fairly debt averse, but also an elitist snob. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

poo

New

Post by poo » Fri May 21, 2010 10:03 pm

My friend is still trying to make a decision: He wants to work in Florida and he's 100% sure about this. He got into UF and could go for basically free and then also buy a Beamer with the money he saved up for law school and then still have money to live for the next 3 years. He also got into Georgetown and Duke, but would have to pay sticker @ both and then would be broke. Thoughts?

tsheld01

New

Post by tsheld01 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:19 am

going to try again and see if anyone else can help...

uconn ($18k scholarship for the first year, in-state tuition last 2)
cardozo (sticker)

i feel like they're ranked pretty similarly and my main concerns are hopefully working in nyc after graduation, and which school would give me a higher starting salary...going crazy with the decision making :?

ENGINEERD

Bronze

Post by ENGINEERD » Fri May 28, 2010 1:22 am

What the fuck is a BP

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri May 28, 2010 1:42 am

tsheld01 wrote:going to try again and see if anyone else can help...

uconn ($18k scholarship for the first year, in-state tuition last 2)
[strike]cardozo (sticker)[/strike]

i feel like they're ranked pretty similarly and my main concerns are hopefully working in nyc after graduation, and which school would give me a higher starting salary...going crazy with the decision making :?
Cardozo is definitely not worth sticker. I have no idea how well UConn places in NYC, but I can't imagine it being that much different than Cardozo.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:54 am

ENGINEERD wrote:What the fuck is a BP
Internet club for losers, nerds and girls with daddy issues.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri May 28, 2010 12:29 pm

poo wrote:My friend is still trying to make a decision: He wants to work in Florida and he's 100% sure about this. He got into UF and could go for basically free and then also buy a Beamer with the money he saved up for law school and then still have money to live for the next 3 years. He also got into Georgetown and Duke, but would have to pay sticker @ both and then would be broke. Thoughts?
Depends what he wants to do. Duke would be the choice for biglaw. Full ride is a safer choice, but smaller risk brings much smaller payoffs.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri May 28, 2010 12:29 pm

danidancer wrote:I want to play!

Accepted:
Fordham (apx. $90K)
Cornell (off Reserve today - so assume little to no aid)

Still wait listed:
Michigan
Columbia
Northwestern

Want: NYC, biglaw/judicial clerkship. Fairly debt averse, but also an elitist snob. :mrgreen:
This was posted a week ago, so have you deposited at Cornell yet?

BigFatPanda

Bronze

Post by BigFatPanda » Fri May 28, 2010 3:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:girls with daddy issues.
Flesh meat for aging partners....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Fri May 28, 2010 6:27 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:girls with daddy issues.
Flesh meat for aging partners....
Think you mean "fresh meat." Flesh IS meat.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”