BP decides where you go to law school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
D. H2Oman

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:47 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
IP Big Law (Patent Litigation), southern california
Berkeley
Medianish as of now, we'll see with spring grades. I have been studying like a fiend, but not sure if it will help.
In law school to be badass patent litigator.
Have about 25% scholly

Non-law school options would be to look for work in biotech or pharma (again), or consider going back to consulting.

Your tar made me laugh. Unless you hate it, I would stick it out.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:52 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
apper123 wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:On a related note, is dropping out due to grades stuuuuupid from a T14?

As with any law question, the answer is: it depends.

What do you want to do? Which T14 is it? How bad are the grades? Why are you in law school? Do you have a scholarship? etc. etc.

IP Big Law (Patent Litigation), southern california
Berkeley
Medianish as of now, we'll see with spring grades. I have been studying like a fiend, but not sure if it will help.
In law school to be badass patent litigator.
Have about 25% scholly

Non-law school options would be to look for work in biotech or pharma (again), or consider going back to consulting.

My dilemma is that I really find patent lit so interesting, love reading fed cir cases, pretty sure I would love the work. HATED consulting. Ugh.

You love doing it. You're in a great school for it. You're only at median. It's not like you are at the bottom of the class. On top of that you are getting $$?

Don't let a scary economy or maybe having to take a lesser paying job scare you away from doing what you love. If you love it, stay. IP is a great field and you (I assume) have a technical/science degree that will set you up great. +a degree from Berkeley? Money. Don't go back to doing something you hate. Do what you love, especially since the $$ situation is very likely to work out quite well for you.

worldpiece17

Postby worldpiece17 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:00 pm

Ummm.... I absolutely adore that the snarky, bitter and pessimistic thread is full of NU kids. I officially can't wait for August. Who knew NU law kids were so my type?

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:42 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:It's not even that, but it's me being a giant prestige whore. Need to work on that. My dad keeps berating my ability to get a job that he considers "acceptable," so that is not of assistance. Gah.

:shock:

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:29 pm

worldpiece17 wrote:Ummm.... I absolutely adore that the snarky, bitter and pessimistic thread is full of NU kids. I officially can't wait for August. Who knew NU law kids were so my type?

<3 will be happy to have you

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Sat May 01, 2010 12:22 am

worldpiece17 wrote:Ummm.... I absolutely adore that the snarky, bitter and pessimistic thread is full of NU kids. I officially can't wait for August. Who knew NU law kids were so my type?
It's because of the WE requirement. We've all been out in the real world long enough to have our dreams crushed and hopes dashed.

worldpiece17

Postby worldpiece17 » Sat May 01, 2010 1:47 am

NayBoer wrote:
It's because of the WE requirement. We've all been out in the real world long enough to have our dreams crushed and hopes dashed.

Haha... soooooo true. Though it is unfortunate that there won't be many starry-eyed 22 year olds fresh out of undergrad with dreams for y'all to crush. That would have been pretty entertaining.

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 01, 2010 1:50 am

worldpiece17 wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

Haha... soooooo true. Though it is unfortunate that there won't be many starry-eyed 22 year olds fresh out of undergrad with dreams for y'all to crush. That would have been pretty entertaining.

Wanna come on Loyola Undergrad Coed raids?

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Sat May 01, 2010 1:53 am

Desert Fox wrote:
worldpiece17 wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

these could be fun, but lol lets not kid ourselves. they won't even compare to the viking-like pillaging of bu's female population that i am envisioning. sorry dude, but have fun in any case.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Sat May 01, 2010 2:05 am

Desert Fox wrote:
worldpiece17 wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

Nuts to that, go rampage through all the freshly graduated Big Ten sorority girls whose daddies buy them Lincoln Park apartments for their part-time PR gigs.

ShiftyOne

Postby ShiftyOne » Mon May 03, 2010 1:39 am

Duke - Nothing
USC - $60,000
NYU - Nothing

I am looking to get into patent law and or academia.
I am contemplating waiting a year and applying early next year so I actually get a scholarship to some places.
I can also try and ride out the harvard and chicago waitlists.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon May 03, 2010 1:39 am

ShiftyOne wrote:Duke - Nothing
USC - $60,000
NYU - Nothing

I am contemplating waiting a year and applying early next year so I actually get a scholarship to some places.

When did you apply?
What are your numbers?

ShiftyOne

Postby ShiftyOne » Mon May 03, 2010 1:43 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
USC - $60,000
NYU - Nothing

When did you apply?
What are your numbers?

168/173 and 4.0
I applied end of january to some schools, and had some schools hold my application until I got my february lsat score.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon May 03, 2010 1:45 am

ShiftyOne wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
USC - $60,000
NYU - Nothing

When did you apply?
What are your numbers?

168/173 and 4.0
I applied end of january to some schools, and had some schools hold my application until I got my february lsat score.

Ride the WL's and reapply early next cycle. Very likely you'll end up with a better offer. Nothing to lose.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:51 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
ShiftyOne wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
USC - $60,000
NYU - Nothing

When did you apply?
What are your numbers?

168/173 and 4.0

Ride the WL's and reapply early next cycle. Very likely you'll end up with a better offer. Nothing to lose.

Well, other than a year off his career lol.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon May 03, 2010 1:53 am

apper123 wrote:
Well, other than a year off his career lol.

Work one year longer!

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Mon May 03, 2010 1:57 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
ShiftyOne wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
USC - $60,000
NYU - Nothing

When did you apply?
What are your numbers?

168/173 and 4.0

Definitely, 173 + 4.0 is scholarship material at CCN if you apply early (Even with the retake).

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Mon May 03, 2010 2:09 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
ShiftyOne wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
USC - $60,000
NYU - Nothing

When did you apply?
What are your numbers?

168/173 and 4.0

This. I fancy your chances on the H waitlist though.

ShiftyOne

Postby ShiftyOne » Mon May 03, 2010 2:57 am

DerrickRose wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
ShiftyOne wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
When did you apply?
What are your numbers?

168/173 and 4.0

This. I fancy your chances on the H waitlist though.

This sounds like a good plan, now I just need to find something to do for a year. I am optimistic about Harvard though, in my JR1 he said it was too late to do anything but waitlist me, so I am hoping that means I am one of the first off the waitlist.

Scuzzlebutt

Postby Scuzzlebutt » Mon May 03, 2010 3:34 am

Need some advice here!

What to do? Where to go? You know the questions. I need the answers.

Here are my options:

NYC (Home):
Brooklyn: Full scholly
Cardozo: 3/4 scholly
Fordham: Waitlist

Elsewhere:
Pitt: Full scholly
Northeastern: Slim scholly
Wisconsin: Waitlist
Notre Dame: Waitlist
Hastings: Waitlist
Minnesota: In Review
McGill: In Review

I guess most of those are not really options, just considerations. I hate waiting.

Clair1331

Postby Clair1331 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:04 am

I want to play:

Home: NYC (for about 4 years), married to person that needs/absolutely wants to stay in the city
Bachelor's in Genetics, Master's in Biology, intend to do Patent law in NYC

Acceptances

Washington & Lee ($)
Brooklyn ($$$$)

Waitlists

Fordham
Cardozo

I have a general idea of what I should do, but want to make sure there are no angles I'm missing. Thanks!

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Mon May 03, 2010 4:55 pm

Clair1331 wrote:I want to play:

Home: NYC (for about 4 years), married to person that needs/absolutely wants to stay in the city

Acceptances

Washington & Lee ($)
Brooklyn ($$$$)

Waitlists

Fordham
Cardozo

I have a general idea of what I should do, but want to make sure there are no angles I'm missing. Thanks!

Brooklyn definitely. Fordham/Cardozo not worth it unless you get some scholly money.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:35 pm

Clair1331 wrote:I want to play:

Acceptances

Washington & Lee ($)
Brooklyn ($$$$)

Waitlists

Fordham
Cardozo

Don't see how this is anything but Brooklyn. Getting into Fordham could make things interesting, but I'm not sure I'd take Cardozo at sticker over $$$$Brooklyn

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon May 03, 2010 10:09 pm

Here we go for me:

WUSTL - Hold List
Illinois - Wait List
Minnesota - Pending (tuition reciprocity saves me $5,000/year)
Wisconsin - Accepted (in-state tuition)
Cornell - Pending

Also...
FSU - Accepted
UF - Waitlist

in case I change my mind and want to stay in Florida.

Want to practice biglaw somewhere in the Midwest, preferably Chicago, but other cities like St. Louis, Milwaukee or Minneapolis would be fine. Somewhat bombed both my September and December LSATs, got my 168 in February of this year, which really has slowed down my application cycle. I have corporate WE at some Fortune 110 companies and a MS degree as well. Lots of political volunteer experience. Will I get off any waitlists? Will I EVER get a decision from Minnesota or Cornell? Or have I hosed myself with my late applications? Will I choose big city over going to law school in a corn field?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon May 03, 2010 10:11 pm

JCougar wrote:Here we go for me:

WUSTL - Hold List
Illinois - Wait List
Minnesota - Pending (tuition reciprocity saves me $5,000/year)
Wisconsin - Accepted (in-state tuition)
Cornell - Pending

Also...
FSU - Accepted
UF - Waitlist

in case I change my mind and want to stay in Florida.

Want to practice biglaw somewhere in the Midwest, preferably Chicago, but other cities like St. Louis, Milwaukee or Minneapolis would be fine. Somewhat bombed both my September and December LSATs, got my 168 in February of this year, which really has slowed down my application cycle. I have corporate WE at some Fortune 110 companies and a MS degree as well. Lots of political volunteer experience. Will I get off any waitlists? Will I EVER get a decision from Minnesota or Cornell? Or have I hosed myself with my late applications? Will I choose big city over going to law school in a corn field?

JCougar... what is your GPA?

I knwo you really, really want Wash U, and I can't see you getting rejected there next year with a 168. I'll bet you'd even get a scholarship at WUSTL and could possibly even crack the T14 if your GPA is good. A year off can't hurt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”