BP decides where you go to law school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
ReelectClayDavis
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:46 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby ReelectClayDavis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:08 pm

IAFG wrote:when did he send out apps? re-cycling is only so helpful for people who applied early


Fairly early, but long before upgrading the LSAT score.

Friend asked the Chicago, Columbia and NYU admissions departments about how they view reapplicants who previously got in. Columbia and NYU claimed they will not hold a grudge against someone who withdraws before the deposit deadline and reapplies later.

Based on this and the better clerkship chances at HYS, I'm urging re-cycling.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby legalease9 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:34 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:new rule:

if you are deciding between schools outside of, say, the top 20, also justify why exactly you're going to law school. in addition, discuss what your best alternative to law school might be.


Elitist.


http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/11/13/mam ... b/article/

This essay treats a legal education as an investment, and asks the question of whether, based on known costs and expected benefits, such investment should be undertaken. The inquiry will necessarily differ from one potential law student to another. But for three posited “typical students,” the investment is shown to be a bad one.


You're absolutely right. This article treats law school as a financial investment. However, there are many who consider law school more than a purely financial investment. I'm not talking about the "intrinsic value of education" advocates, who for law school purposes I disagree with. I'm talking about people who are willing to make a financial sacrifice to become a lawyer because they want to practice law as a profession. If you are doing law school solely for the cash return I have a link for you...

http://top-b-schools.com/

For these reasons... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FTaljU ... 1&index=18

Seriously though, The schooling is easier, the money and job prospects are better.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby IAFG » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:38 pm

legalease9 wrote:You're absolutely right. This article treats law school as a financial investment. However, there are many who consider law school more than a purely financial investment. I'm not talking about the "intrinsic value of education" advocates, who for law school purposes I disagree with. I'm talking about people who are willing to make a financial sacrifice to become a lawyer because they want to practice law as a profession. If you are doing law school solely for the cash return I have a link for you...

http://top-b-schools.com/

For these reasons... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FTaljU ... 1&index=18

Seriously though, The schooling is easier, the money and job prospects are better.

sorry but this is insufferably retarded.

dreamweaver87
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby dreamweaver87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:25 pm

OK, just got in to Northwestern today and my decision is now even harder.

Minnesota (no debt; they granted me an extension)
UCLA (70k debt)
Fordham (55k debt)
Northwestern (sticker)

I want to end up in NY. I don't know exactly which field of law I'd enter, but PI work is not out of the question (although it might be if I am drowning in debt :-\). Thoughts?

I know financially NU is a killer, but it's kind of killing me to turn it down.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby IAFG » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:27 pm

dreamweaver87 wrote:OK, just got in to Northwestern today and my decision is now even harder.

Minnesota (no debt; they granted me an extension)
UCLA (70k debt)
Fordham (55k debt)
Northwestern (sticker)

I want to end up in NY. I don't know exactly which field of law I'd enter, but PI work is not out of the question (although it might be if I am drowning in debt :-\). Thoughts?

I know financially NU is a killer, but it's kind of killing me to turn it down.

regional schools are regional.

UMN is a good program if you are confident you want to live in twin cities. Fordham is probably worth 55k of debt, but i assume you aren't adding in living expenses. UCLA is very strong in CA.

dreamweaver87
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby dreamweaver87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:29 pm

so, no one thinks NU sticker is worth the cost then?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby IAFG » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:30 pm

dreamweaver87 wrote:so, no one thinks NU sticker is worth the cost then?

i mean i would pay sticker for NU but i want biglaw and probably chicago biglaw. you seem less sure.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby flyingpanda » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:31 pm

IAFG wrote:
dreamweaver87 wrote:so, no one thinks NU sticker is worth the cost then?

i mean i would pay sticker for NU but i want biglaw and probably chicago biglaw. you seem less sure.


If you go to NU, you will see like a billion BPers.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:31 pm

dreamweaver87 wrote:so, no one thinks NU sticker is worth the cost then?



If your goal is biglaw, I think it's a better choice than Fordham. If you'd rather work a lower paying job in NYC than a biglaw in some other city, pick Fordham.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm

dreamweaver87 wrote:OK, just got in to Northwestern today and my decision is now even harder.

Minnesota (no debt; they granted me an extension)
UCLA (70k debt)
Fordham (55k debt)
Northwestern (sticker)

I want to end up in NY. I don't know exactly which field of law I'd enter, but PI work is not out of the question (although it might be if I am drowning in debt :-\). Thoughts?

I know financially NU is a killer, but it's kind of killing me to turn it down.


Are these debt numbers including cost of living? Because Fordham for 55K total is the TCR. Because 55K wouldn't even cover living expenses for three years, I doubt you are including Cost of Living, which you need to. That's more like 120K Fordham in debt vs 210 at NU.

If thats just tution then:

Northwestern if you want NYC, or big law. If you don't want a high paying job, and don't care where you work, Minnesota. But Minn won't carry you to NYC, NU will.

dreamweaver87
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby dreamweaver87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dreamweaver87 wrote:OK, just got in to Northwestern today and my decision is now even harder.

Minnesota (no debt; they granted me an extension)
UCLA (70k debt)
Fordham (55k debt)
Northwestern (sticker)

I want to end up in NY. I don't know exactly which field of law I'd enter, but PI work is not out of the question (although it might be if I am drowning in debt :-\). Thoughts?

I know financially NU is a killer, but it's kind of killing me to turn it down.


Are these debt numbers including cost of living? Because Fordham for 55K total is the TCR. Because 55K wouldn't even cover living expenses for three years, I doubt you are including Cost of Living, which you need to. That's more like 120K Fordham in debt vs 210 at NU.

If thats just tution then:

Northwestern if you want NYC, or big law. If you don't want a high paying job, and don't care where you work, Minnesota. But Minn won't carry you to NYC, NU will.


it includes COL because i got a scholarship and my dad is helping out a bit. which is also why i feel really bad about NU...instead of just me paying a lot, he'd be paying a lot, too. but, i'm wondering if the return would be worth it and i could maybe pay him back in the long run. i wish i knew that i would love big law (oh, and be able to get a job in it, as well).

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:18 pm

dreamweaver87 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Are these debt numbers including cost of living? Because Fordham for 55K total is the TCR. Because 55K wouldn't even cover living expenses for three years, I doubt you are including Cost of Living, which you need to. That's more like 120K Fordham in debt vs 210 at NU.

If thats just tution then:

Northwestern if you want NYC, or big law. If you don't want a high paying job, and don't care where you work, Minnesota. But Minn won't carry you to NYC, NU will.


it includes COL because i got a scholarship and my dad is helping out a bit. which is also why i feel really bad about NU...instead of just me paying a lot, he'd be paying a lot, too. but, i'm wondering if the return would be worth it and i could maybe pay him back in the long run. i wish i knew that i would love big law (oh, and be able to get a job in it, as well).


So how much will sticker cost you for NU?

dreamweaver87
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby dreamweaver87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dreamweaver87 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Are these debt numbers including cost of living? Because Fordham for 55K total is the TCR. Because 55K wouldn't even cover living expenses for three years, I doubt you are including Cost of Living, which you need to. That's more like 120K Fordham in debt vs 210 at NU.

If thats just tution then:

Northwestern if you want NYC, or big law. If you don't want a high paying job, and don't care where you work, Minnesota. But Minn won't carry you to NYC, NU will.


it includes COL because i got a scholarship and my dad is helping out a bit. which is also why i feel really bad about NU...instead of just me paying a lot, he'd be paying a lot, too. but, i'm wondering if the return would be worth it and i could maybe pay him back in the long run. i wish i knew that i would love big law (oh, and be able to get a job in it, as well).


So how much will sticker cost you for NU?



About 100K, I believe. I just feel awful about putting the rest on my dad. I also feel like this is a big long term vs. short term issue. No debt would be great right after law school, but the school name will be on my resume for the rest of my life...:-\

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:51 pm

100K vs 55K Take NU.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:13 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:100K vs 55K Take NU.


easily

lordr6747
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby lordr6747 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:19 pm

Penn State- 15k per year
Drexel- 30k per year
Villanova- no money

Thanks.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:00 pm

lordr6747 wrote:Penn State- 15k per year
Drexel- 30k per year
Villanova- no money

Thanks.


What is your goal?

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:01 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
lordr6747 wrote:Penn State- 15k per year
Drexel- 30k per year
Villanova- no money

Thanks.


What is your goal?



DesertFox wrote: I hope it's shitlaw

User avatar
wakefield
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:45 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby wakefield » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:20 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by wakefield on Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lordr6747
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby lordr6747 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:21 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
lordr6747 wrote:Penn State- 15k per year
Drexel- 30k per year
Villanova- no money

Thanks.


What is your goal?



My goal is to become a prosecutor in Connecticut.

lordr6747
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby lordr6747 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:27 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
lordr6747 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
lordr6747 wrote:Penn State- 15k per year
Drexel- 30k per year
Villanova- no money

Thanks.


What is your goal?



My goal is to become a prosecutor in Connecticut.

You are aware that Connecticut has law schools, right?



Yes, but are you gonna answer the question?

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby apper123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:37 pm

lordr6747 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
lordr6747 wrote:Penn State- 15k per year
Drexel- 30k per year
Villanova- no money

Thanks.


What is your goal?



My goal is to become a prosecutor in Connecticut.


Uh you should go to school in NE then. As played PSU or Villanova. Don't see a huge difference between either in pursuing your goal. Maybe Villanova would have a slight edge? I dunno.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:37 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:On a related note, is dropping out due to grades stuuuuupid from a T14?

I'd do it

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby apper123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:42 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:On a related note, is dropping out due to grades stuuuuupid from a T14?

As with any law question, the answer is: it depends.

What do you want to do? Which T14 is it? How bad are the grades? Why are you in law school? Do you have a scholarship? etc. etc.

Edit - don't know if that was a serious question or just a running joke I'm not aware of, but here's a serious answer! haha

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:43 pm

apper123 wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:On a related note, is dropping out due to grades stuuuuupid from a T14?

As with any law question, the answer is: it depends.

What do you want to do? Which T14 is it? How bad are the grades? Why are you in law school? Do you have a scholarship? etc. etc.

Edit - don't know if that was a serious question or just a running joke I'm not aware of, but here's a serious answer! haha



Also depends on what your non law school options are. Are you an unemployable loser like me, or do you have some worthwhile skills.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests