BP decides where you go to law school Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Diamond

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:58 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:OSU with total of 90k debt (thats debt from UG+ Grad + OSU COL - Full ride and stipend to OSU)
-Arguments in favor of OSU: Friends, family, acdemic and social connections, good if I wanna do state politics, 100k less debt
-Arguments against: Not t14, not as good job placement, degree not very portable, lower student quality, ohio weather sucks

Duke with total of 190k debt (thats debt from UG+ Grad + Duke at 50% tuition scholly)
-Arguments in favor of Duke: t14, amazing job opps, better clerkship placement, better LRAP, prestige factor, much better access to DC, better weather, beautiful facilities, high quality students
-Arguments against: That debt is terrifying, out of the state where I will probably end up living, no friends, no family, Durhan isn't as cool as Columbus

Goals: PI, maybe politics, maybe midlaw, maybe teach, trial law, appellate advocacy... you get the picture

K. hit me with it.

OSU if you want to stay in Ohio because of this. It's important to keep debt down for that.

If you want DC, then you have to go to Duke. Let the LRAP pay it off.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:58 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:I'm stuck between Notre Dame, WUSTL, and GW.

- Money is not really an issue, but I got a 45k scholarship from ND and 24k at WUSTL
- I want a portable degree because I'm not sure where I'd like to practice
- I'd like to get some experience in BigLaw but eventually move in-house or to the business side
- I'd prefer to be in a city, but career prospects are more important

Thanks for the help!
ND
Hm, I would have said WashU based on that.

ilovelawapps

Bronze

Post by ilovelawapps » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:59 pm

1. BU 45K
2. Fordham 30K
3. WUSTL 45K
4. Emory 60K
5. Fight to get of the WL at UCLA, USC, UT, Vandy, or Cornell

Want to do entertainment law/music industry in NYC/CA or big law (NYC/CA) if that doesn't pan out. Want best job prospects for the most cash coming out of ls. Like NYC but don't want to be tied down to it (Fordham). Liked BU a lot, eh on Fordham, didnt visit the others. BU's 4th rank in IP seems like it would be helpful. Ill be the first to admit prestige matters a bit. Does Fordham REALLY dominate that hard over BU for NYC??

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
cavebat2000 wrote:OSU with total of 90k debt (thats debt from UG+ Grad + OSU COL - Full ride and stipend to OSU)
-Arguments in favor of OSU: Friends, family, acdemic and social connections, good if I wanna do state politics, 100k less debt
-Arguments against: Not t14, not as good job placement, degree not very portable, lower student quality, ohio weather sucks

Duke with total of 190k debt (thats debt from UG+ Grad + Duke at 50% tuition scholly)
-Arguments in favor of Duke: t14, amazing job opps, better clerkship placement, better LRAP, prestige factor, much better access to DC, better weather, beautiful facilities, high quality students
-Arguments against: That debt is terrifying, out of the state where I will probably end up living, no friends, no family, Durhan isn't as cool as Columbus

Goals: PI, maybe politics, maybe midlaw, maybe teach, trial law, appellate advocacy... you get the picture

K. hit me with it.

OSU if you want to stay in Ohio because of this. It's important to keep debt down for that.

If you want DC, then you have to go to Duke. Let the LRAP pay it off.
Thanks for the advice!

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:01 pm

ilovelawapps wrote:1. BU 45K
2. Fordham 30K
3. WUSTL 45K
4. Emory 60K

Want to do entertainment law/music industry in NYC/CA or big law (NYC/CA) if that doesn't pan out. Want best job prospects for the most cash coming out of ls. Like NYC but don't want to be tied down to it (Fordham). Liked BU a lot, eh on Fordham, didnt visit the others. BU's 4th rank in IP seems like it would be helpful. Ill be the first to admit prestige matters a bit. Does Fordham REALLY dominate that hard over BU for NYC??
UCLA or USC would be huge. I just pulled out of both. GL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:01 pm

2. Fordham 30K
3. WUSTL 45K
4. Emory 60K

Stats?! You might be in retake land based on your goals.

afghan007

Bronze

Post by afghan007 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:03 pm

USC w/ $
Cornell sticker

ilovelawapps

Bronze

Post by ilovelawapps » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:03 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
2. Fordham 30K
3. WUSTL 45K
4. Emory 60K

3.55 (science maj), 168 (retake from 165). Retake would suck tremendously haha

macunaima

New

Post by macunaima » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:04 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
macunaima wrote:
Nightrunner wrote: What is the total difference in debt?

For Texas, I'd be taking on $110k over three years in debt. I don't have official numbers of Columbia, but from what I've read, probably close to $160k.
If you're going all loans I would plan closer to $210k. That's what I'm thinking for myself.
Well, that just makes this all that much harder. If $210k is a more realistic number we're talking a $100k difference. Are the increased job opportunities really worth that much? Supposing I go to UT and get a good job in Texas, how hard will it be to move out of state (to the Northeast or CA) after a few years?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:05 pm

afghan007 wrote:USC w/ $
Cornell sticker
Clearly depends whether you'd rather practice in NYC or So-Cal.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:06 pm

ilovelawapps wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
2. Fordham 30K
3. WUSTL 45K
4. Emory 60K

If you could push it up 3-4 points it would be worth it.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:06 pm

macunaima wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
macunaima wrote:
Nightrunner wrote: What is the total difference in debt?

For Texas, I'd be taking on $110k over three years in debt. I don't have official numbers of Columbia, but from what I've read, probably close to $160k.
If you're going all loans I would plan closer to $210k. That's what I'm thinking for myself.
Well, that just makes this all that much harder. If $210k is a more realistic number we're talking a $100k difference. Are the increased job opportunities really worth that much? Supposing I go to UT and get a good job in Texas, how hard will it be to move out of state (to the Northeast or CA) after a few years?
If you work biglaw (guaranteed from CLS if you want it) you can comfortably pay off that debt within 10 years. They also have one of the better LRAPs.

Going from UT --> Texas biglaw --> move elsewhere seems harder than all the doors CLS will open.

ilovelawapps

Bronze

Post by ilovelawapps » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:07 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
ilovelawapps wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
2. Fordham 30K
3. WUSTL 45K
4. Emory 60K

If you could push it up 3-4 points it would be worth it.

Yea...I've been considering that, my scores are from a few years ago so I'm def rusty. If retake isn't an option, what would you say?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:09 pm

ilovelawapps wrote:
Yea...I've been considering that, my scores are from a few years ago so I'm def rusty. If retake isn't an option, what would you say?
I would lean toward BU if you strike out on the WLs.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Nightrunner wrote:I stopped and did the math: Columbia, at sticker (and without any increase in tuition or COL) will cost you $213K.
I want to start a thread where people with no assets and no money who are planning to go to LS for sticker can commiserate about our impending $200k+ in debt. There don't seem to be that many of us.

pretzel

New

Post by pretzel » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Oh clerics of TLS, decide my future!

Notre Dame $54k
W&L $72k

All other options have already been crossed off the list.

I don't really care where I end up, but I'm not huge on big cities- NYC is definitely out and I'm not the biggest fan of Chicago. I've spent the last 3 years in an Analyst factory after UG business school, so I'm not necessarily seeking out biglaw to do it all over again. That being said, I wouldn't mind keeping the option open. Midlaw is probably more what I'd be looking for....

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:30 pm

pretzel wrote:Oh clerics of TLS, decide my future!

Notre Dame $54k
W&L $72k

I don't really care where I end up, but I'm not huge on big cities- NYC is definitely out and I'm not the biggest fan of Chicago. I've spent the last 3 years in an Analyst factory after UG business school, so I'm not necessarily seeking out biglaw to do it all over again. That being said, I wouldn't mind keeping the option open. Midlaw is probably more what I'd be looking for....
midlaw is a myth, that said, W&L

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:36 pm

IAFG wrote:
pretzel wrote:Oh clerics of TLS, decide my future!

Notre Dame $54k
W&L $72k

midlaw is a myth, that said, W&L
Midlaw is not a myth, midlaw jobs out of law school are.

chinagator

New

Post by chinagator » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:39 pm

W&M $$$
W&L $$$
Emory $$
WUSTL $$
BU $
GW sticker
Ride out Cornell, Vandy, GULC WL

main focus is prestige and earning power, not region.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:44 pm

Y'all are hilarious. What does BP stand for?

Also:

WUSTL: 52k- COA
SMU: 43k- COA

Want big city market, grew up and live in Texas but could go anywhere. Biggest concern: paying off debt after graduation!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:45 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:Y'all are hilarious. What does BP stand for?

Also:

Want big city market, grew up and live in Texas but could go anywhere. Biggest concern: paying off debt after graduation!
SMU. Texas will rebound better than the Midwest.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:50 pm

Also:

I'd go to WUSTL. KSgator will be there.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Also:

SMU. Texas will rebound better than the Midwest.
Damn, I've been leaning towards WUSTL.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:51 pm

chinagator wrote:W&M $$$
W&L $$$
Emory $$
WUSTL $$
BU $
GW sticker
Ride out Cornell, Vandy, GULC WL

main focus is prestige and earning power, not region.

Ride the WL's, of those options I'd take William and Mary. But, you might need to retake/reapply to get the desired prestige.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:51 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

Also:

I'd go to WUSTL. KSgator will be there.
Who is KSgator?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”