BP decides where you go to law school Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
100Kworthit?

New

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Post by 100Kworthit? » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:40 am

UMich: $67k
UVA: $90K
NYU: Sticker

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:49 am

re: NU/GULC, does it change anything if GULC has an amazing LRAP and if I make under $75k/year I won't be paying anything?

Clint Eastwood

Silver

Post by Clint Eastwood » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:26 am

I want to go somewhere outside of Louisville. Stats will probably be super-splitterish.

I also like coffee and hate poor people.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:48 am

Holly Golightly wrote:re: NU/GULC, does it change anything if GULC has an amazing LRAP and if I make under $75k/year I won't be paying anything?
How much do you think you will make, and how long do you wanna do PI

Because NU gives a % of IBR, plus a percentage of unpaid interest.

100Kworthit?

New

Post by 100Kworthit? » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:02 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
100Kworthit? wrote:UMich: $67k
UVA: $90K
NYU: Sticker
goals - including type of law and acceptable/target locations.
I want a corporate job in a big city. I am thinking international business law or corporate law. Not aiming for becoming a celebrity lawyer, just want a stable well paying career. I do care a lot about the law school experience and where I would most likely be more happy, I'm a laid back person who is willing to study hard but not do crazy things like rip out pages etc... should i include anything else?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ligirl

New

Post by ligirl » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:55 pm

Brooklyn w/ 32K a year, so I'd be paying the difference in tuition + COL

or St John's/Hofstra for free .. I've been at Hofstra for undergrad so I'm comfortable here. I could graduate with no debt and probably a higher class rank from either SJU/Hof. My questions would be, a) would it be a mistake to turn down Brooklyn and then b) would it be worse to pick Hofstra over St. John's?

HELP!!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:56 pm

ligirl wrote:Brooklyn w/ 32K a year, so I'd be paying the difference in tuition + COL

or St John's/Hofstra for free .. I've been at Hofstra for undergrad so I'm comfortable here. I could graduate with no debt and probably a higher class rank from either SJU/Hof. My questions would be, a) would it be a mistake to turn down Brooklyn and then b) would it be worse to pick Hofstra over St. John's?

HELP!!
Goals?

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:59 pm

ligirl wrote:Brooklyn w/ 32K a year, so I'd be paying the difference in tuition + COL

HELP!!
consider the net present value of your most lucrative alternative to law school.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:00 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:

HELP!!
consider the net present value of your most lucrative alternative to law school.
Tactful. Gonna use this again later. Otoh free LS isn't so tragic.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ligirl

New

Post by ligirl » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:02 pm

IAFG wrote:

HELP!!
Goals?
Sorry.. meant to write this. Part of me wants to go BigLaw (which pretty much I'm screwed no matter which school I pick - unless I graduate really high in class rank.. I know this) but I also am very interested in family/child law. I'm realizing it's smarter to graduation at a lower-ranked school without debt because it'll give me more freedom in deciding which route I want to go and not pressure me to accept a high paying job I might not want. I'm not 100% and I realize these are at different ends of the spectrum and probably doesn't help you at all.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:03 pm

IAFG wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:

HELP!!
Tactful. Gonna use this again later. Otoh free LS isn't so tragic.
yeah but in this case its seriously worth asking how much he/she could have been earning for those three years.

i wasn't even trying to be a dick, just pointing out that none of these schools are no-brainers or anything, free or otherwise.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Of course I think you should go get a job and come back to LS older, wiser and with a better LSAT if that is still what you want. Minimum grade requirement for the fullrides?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:05 pm

HELP!!

Do your scholarship offers have any grade stipulations? Assuming no for now, I would take one of your free rides. St. John's/Hofstra is not going to leave you in a worse position than Brooklyn. Sounds like you're leaning towards Hofstra (?) That's fine go there, these schools are all pretty similar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:07 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

HELP!!

Do your scholarship offers have any grade stipulations? Assuming no for now, I would take one of your free rides. St. John's/Hofstra is not going to leave you in a worse position than Brooklyn. Sounds like you're leaning towards Hofstra (?) That's fine go there, these schools are all pretty similar.
I'm going to bet that both have grade stipulations and advise you not to go to any school with a grade stipulation attached, hth.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:11 pm

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Sat May 08, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:15 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:can you imagine how insanely cut throat the competition must have been at hofstra, st. john's and brooklyn since ite? holy shit, it must be like fucking beirut circa 1981 or something in their law libraries

while if you decide to go to one of the three you should of course take a full-ride, i'd be incredibly nervous about even the most generous-sounding grade requirements. my guess is the gunners are out in full force
Do you think people at those schools even know about "ITE"? I can't understand why you would go to those schools if you did.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:32 pm

D-hops wrote:
APimpNamedSlickback wrote:can you imagine how insanely cut throat the competition must have been at hofstra, st. john's and brooklyn since ite? holy shit, it must be like fucking beirut circa 1981 or something in their law libraries

while if you decide to go to one of the three you should of course take a full-ride, i'd be incredibly nervous about even the most generous-sounding grade requirements. my guess is the gunners are out in full force
Do you think people at those schools even know about "ITE"? I can't understand why you would go to those schools if you did.
A lot of people just think any law school is impressive.

In 2004 I was impressed that a guy I knew was going to Houston Law. He graduated in like 2007 and I believe has still never worked as an attorney. He has two jobs, one of them not even law-related.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:06 am

Bump

I want to decide things.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:56 am

ithinkimightbeleaningtowardsnubutimstillunsure

kombucha420

New

Post by kombucha420 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:39 am

Alright BP, here it goes.

Goals: successful trial lawyer, maybe civil litigation not sure exactly what type. Would like to practice in DC or South including Texas (went to school there). Would like to limit debt as much as possible but willing to incur more if it means a huger difference in job prospects when I graduate.

-Retaking the LSAT is not an option btw, but reapplying next year I guess would be - I applied late January this year which I think hurt me a lot.

Options: Already crossed out 20K/yr from Tulane after visiting, 25K/yr from SMU (still could not justify cost and wasn't sure about being in Dallas) and no money from George Mason.

What's Left:
- 25k/yr from Wake (top 2/3)
- Recent acceptance from Alabama with money on the way (not sure amount but have a 165)
- Waitlisted at Emory, BU, Notre Dame, W&M, Wash U and Vanderbilt
- Still waiting to hear back from BC and Indiana

Any thoughts???

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:41 am

D. H2Oman wrote:Bump

I want to decide things.
+1
lol

my whole office is looking at me funny. way to go H2O.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Corinne

New

Post by Corinne » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:50 am

Ok, just as a disclaimer: I know I am very lucky, but I am also very indecisive.

I'm New Jersey born and raised and always hoped to go to a NYC school for law school. Unfortunately, with seat deposit extensions nearly running out, I still have not heard back from either of the schools I'm seriously considering in NYC. So, my goal right now is to chose between the other three schools that I am seriously considering as back up. I don't have a precise idea of what I want to do after law school, except that I would like to work in NYC at some point, and hopefully in family law at some point.

Notre Dame: Scholarship for $20k/year leaving me with the remainder of tuition and living expenses.

Seton Hall: Tuition scholarship - I would only pay living expenses.

San Diego: Almost tuition scholarship- I would pay $1k/year and living expenses.

I have been leaning toward San Diego, I visited and really liked it. Any advice would be appreciated, I only have until April 29th to send my seat deposit!

Thanks

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:00 pm

Corinne wrote:I know I am very lucky

I'm New Jersey born and raised.
these seem to contradict.

Corinne

New

Post by Corinne » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:05 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:
Corinne wrote:I know I am very lucky

I'm New Jersey born and raised.
these seem to contradict.
Haha, New Jersey's not all Sopranos and Jersey Shore. I live in a nice suburban town about 15 minutes from NYC. :)

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:06 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:ithinkimightbeleaningtowardsnubutimstillunsure
Holly, where do you want to work? I know you want an LLM in int'l stuff.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”