BP decides where you go to law school Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NayBoer

Silver

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Post by NayBoer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:27 pm

iheartucla wrote:Indiana, Bloomington- full ride
WUSTL- $11,000/year

Loved St. Louis, not sure about Bloomington- nearest large city an hour away

Most concerned about career prospects
For c/o 2009
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf
#24 WUSTL 27.5
Not ranked ( > #50) IUB ( < 13.2%)

For c/o 2005
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080414 ... trends.pdf
WUSTL ranked #21, roughly 27.5% placement
IUB ranked #42, roughly 14% placement

For career prospects, WUSTL. For debt, IUB (if you're okay living in IN and crossing fingers for Chicago).

dontstopbelivin

New

Post by dontstopbelivin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:34 pm

Ok, I'll give mine a go:

UVA @ sticker
University of Arizona @$35,000/year (so tuition, room/board, fees covered; 3.2 GPA requirement)

Originally from Arizona = family ties/legal connections; living in DC now = friends/preferred coast

Want to end up in either SF or DC, with Texas as a possible option. Likely do either appellate litigation or international law, and want to clerk for a federal judge then big law.

I loved UVA, but also don't want to be paying for 3 years of fun by living on a student budget for the next 25.

Thoughts?
Last edited by dontstopbelivin on Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:37 pm

dontstopbelivin wrote:Ok, I'll give mine a go:

UVA @ sticker
University of Arizona @$35,000/year (so tuition, room/board, fees covered)

Originally from Arizona = family ties/legal connections; living in DC now = friends/preferred coast

Want to end up in either SF or DC, with Texas as a possible option. Likely do either appellate litigation or international law, and want to clerk for a federal judge then big law.

I loved UVA, but also don't want to be paying for 3 years of fun by living on a student budget for the next 25.

Thoughts?
Not U of A if you want SF, DC, TX. UVA better for those, especially for DC.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:59 pm

1L2b wrote:If money is not an issue, imho from tons of experience in the city and with people in really influential law firms in the area, Miami >>> UF. Anyway, if you're a good student and the difference for hiring potential in big law firms in the area is marginal between the two, it really comes down to this: Would you rather spend 3 yrs in Miami or 3 yrs in Gainsville. Again, this is why I didn't want to get into this discussion because for me, going to Miami over UF is a no-brainer.
I don't understand people who say "money is not an object" when they're going to be spending 200k on school in addition the the opportunity cost of forgoing three years of salary. You realize that the majority of UM grads will start out making <60k year, right?

1L2b

New

Post by 1L2b » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:17 pm

mistergoft wrote:
1L2b wrote:If money is not an issue, imho from tons of experience in the city and with people in really influential law firms in the area, Miami >>> UF. Anyway, if you're a good student and the difference for hiring potential in big law firms in the area is marginal between the two, it really comes down to this: Would you rather spend 3 yrs in Miami or 3 yrs in Gainsville. Again, this is why I didn't want to get into this discussion because for me, going to Miami over UF is a no-brainer.
I don't understand people who say "money is not an object" when they're going to be spending 200k on school in addition the the opportunity cost of forgoing three years of salary. You realize that the majority of UM grads will start out making <60k year, right?
I'm not saying in an absolute sense for all people it isn't (and saying this will unfortunately inevitably label me as "snobbish) but I don't particularly have to worry about that department. Just being honest. So don't you worry about my not worrying about it :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:27 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Everyone in Ann Arbor hates your maliciously vague use of school acronyms.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:32 pm

1L2b wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
I'm not saying in an absolute sense for all people it isn't (and saying this will unfortunately inevitably label me as "snobbish) but I don't particularly have to worry about that department. Just being honest. So don't you worry about my not worrying about it :wink:
Bro, if money is no object go where you feel comfortable, neither of these schools afford a significant edge in employment prospects and, to be honest, it's going to come down to where you want to live.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:43 pm

missvik218 wrote:Dear BP,

(Let me preface this by saying I'm on a WL at the higher ranked school so this may or may not even be an option .. I'm pretty much trying to gauge how hard I should try to get off of it.)

Vandy @ sticker (approx 200k) or UGA in-state (approx 85k). I'd like to be in the SE (DC through ATL) and am looking primarily at some type of corporate/transactional work. I know I know this seems like a no brainer but I'm also fairly debt averse; is it really worth +100k??

Thanks,
<3 Ms.Vik
MissVik!!! <3

I say go for Vandy, I think it's worth the additional debt even though it'll be hard to swallow (that sounded wrong). Vandy is just that much stronger, especially since you want to work in the South which is Vandy's playing field.

1L2b

New

Post by 1L2b » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:44 pm

mistergoft wrote:
1L2b wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
Bro, if money is no object go where you feel comfortable, neither of these schools afford a significant edge in employment prospects and, to be honest, it's going to come down to where you want to live.
I am not a "bro." That is all :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:44 pm

NayBoer wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
I actually got really confused for a second when I read that. Then I realized they were talking about The "U"

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:59 pm

D-hops wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
I actually got really confused for a second when I read that. Then I realized they were talking about The "U"
Nobody in Ann Arbor actually calls it UM, right? For some reason I usually call it UMich (yoomish). Not sure where I picked that up.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:01 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:

(Let me preface this by saying I'm on a WL at the higher ranked school so this may or may not even be an option .. I'm pretty much trying to gauge how hard I should try to get off of it.)

Vandy @ sticker (approx 200k) or UGA in-state (approx 85k). I'd like to be in the SE (DC through ATL) and am looking primarily at some type of corporate/transactional work. I know I know this seems like a no brainer but I'm also fairly debt averse; is it really worth +100k??

Thanks,
<3 Ms.Vik
MissVik!!! <3

I say go for Vandy, I think it's worth the additional debt even though it'll be hard to swallow (that sounded wrong). Vandy is just that much stronger, especially since you want to work in the South which is Vandy's playing field.
PANDA!!! It's been too long. You seem to echo the general consensus, thanks for responding!

Are you getting excited picking out apartments, etc. in Charlottesville?? (You can PM me as to not derail the thread.)

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:08 pm

NayBoer wrote:Nobody in Ann Arbor actually calls it UM, right? For some reason I usually call it UMich (yoomish). Not sure where I picked that up.
Depends on the context. People say "U of M" most of the time, but you see and hear UM, Umich, M, Mich, all being used.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:45 pm

missvik218 wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:

Thanks,
<3 Ms.Vik
MissVik!!! <3

PANDA!!! It's been too long. You seem to echo the general consensus, thanks for responding!

Are you getting excited picking out apartments, etc. in Charlottesville?? (You can PM me as to not derail the thread.)
My days of caring about derailing threads is long over :). I've already picked out and signed the lease for an apartment. It's awesome, literally 0.2 miles from school. Pretty excited to be moving out to the South to play softball and pickup Southern Belles (I'm assuming that law school will be super easy and won't take up much of my time.

big_blue79

Bronze

Post by big_blue79 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:02 pm

Dollar amounts are total costs over three years (GI Bill and schollies included, assumed a high CoA and no tuition increases):

NYU - $60.000
Mich - $53,000
NU - $67,000

Awaiting decision:
Chi - $97,000
Har - $43,000

WL
Col - $83,000
UVA - $55,000

I know Harvard is TCR if that hail-mary comes through... Assume I get off Columbia and Virginia WL and into Chicago (for the sake of argument). Wife hates Michigan, we're okay with NYC if we must, want to do: next David Stern (Columbia Law alum), federal clerkship, probably fed gov't job, okay with biglaw. Family in Chicago.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:03 pm

Longest post EVER. Please don't quote in its entirety (small portions okay).

Northwestern v. Georgetown

Goals:
I want to work in international human rights, ideally for an international body, or perhaps an NGO or a governmental body. Location is unimportant, although most of the jobs for this are in NY or DC. Also not opposed to ending up somewhere like The Hague or Geneva. :wink:

Total Cost
Note: This is not one of my biggest considerations, since I plan on doing public interest work, but should nonetheless be considered.
• NU: $72,000 x 4 = $288,000
• GULC: $68,000 x 3 = $204,000
Edge: Georgetown

LRAP
Length of time after graduation to qualify:
• NU: Must enter PI immediately.
• GULC: 2 years
Expected contribution at $60k/year
• NU: $7,391/year, or $616/month
• GULC: $0
Qualification after clerkship:
• NU:
• GULC: Yes
Total benefit: Georgetown’s LRAP is considerably better. If I make less than $75k/year, I will be reimbursed for all loan payments made.

• NU: Very familiar/comfortable with Chicago. Most of my friends and family live in the Chicago area. Know how to find affordable apartments, and which neighborhoods I would like to live in.
• GULC: Loved living in D.C. Perfect location for what I want to do after school.
Very Slight Edge: Georgetown

JD v. JD/LLM
• NU: Would be going for 4 years and getting a JD and an LLM in International Human Rights. I’m honestly not sure if having this would be a huge advantage or not, but one of the program requirements is a semester-long externship at an international organization, which would be awesome and look good on the resume/give me an interesting opportunity for work experience generally not available to law students. I also think it would show my dedication to this field in a way a regular JD wouldn’t.
• GULC: Would be getting a regular JD. Upside: 3 years instead of 4.
Edge: Northwestern (???)

Placement
• NU: High placement in large firms, even in current shitty economy. While this isn’t what I want for myself, I’m going to assume that it is indicative of a decent overall placement rate.
• GULC: Known for good placement in government and DC, though these are slightly negated by its large class size.
Edge: Northwestern

Portability
• NU: Places best in the Midwest, but sent 31% of its 2008 class to the east coast (where most of the jobs I’m interested in would be located). The problem is that I don’t know where on the east coast these people went. I’ve been told that they place better than GULC in NY, but don’t have hard data to back this up.
• GULC: Definitely beats Northwestern for placement in DC. DC location after graduation is not really important to me, but it is where a lot of the jobs are for what I want.
Edge: ???

Clerkships (2009 data)
• NU: 6.8% of class in Article 3 Clerkships
• GULC: 5.6: of class in Article 3 Clerkships
Note: I have been told repeatedly that NU is significantly better than GULC for clerkships. While this may hold true for SCOTUS, in general I’m not seeing that in this data. Am I missing something?
Slight Edge: Northwestern

Class Size
• NU: 250
• GULC: 590
Edge: Northwestern

International Opportunities
• NU: Externship with international organization required as part of LLM. Has Center for International Human Rights within the Bluhm Legal Clinic, and International Team Projects during spring break for 2L and 3Ls.
• GULC: Many semester and summer study abroad opportunities. Human Rights Institute. Huge Center for Transnational Legal Studies.
Both have journals on international law.
Slight Edge: Northwestern (???)

PI Orientation
• NU: Known for being more business oriented, but trying to up its public interest and international reputation.
• GULC: Known for public interest and international law programs.

What am I missing? Also, even after all this I'm still undecided. I fail.

big_blue79

Bronze

Post by big_blue79 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:05 pm

existenz wrote:Northwestern just offered me $60k. Kind of a weird offer. Zero for the first year, $30k/year in the second and third years.

This puts them in closer contention with Mich, however Mich will still be fairly cheaper with COL, etc. I'll probably be turning it down. IAFG, Ltk, etc. could use this more than I could.
I just got the exact same offer. It seemed to me it was a funding issue more than anything else, tbh. But it seriously destroys my Excel spreadsheet for determining costs...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:33 pm

big_blue79 wrote:Dollar amounts are total costs over three years (GI Bill and schollies included, assumed a high CoA and no tuition increases):

NYU - $60.000
Mich - $53,000
NU - $67,000

Awaiting decision:
Chi - $97,000
Har - $43,000

WL
Col - $83,000
UVA - $55,000

I know Harvard is TCR if that hail-mary comes through... Assume I get off Columbia and Virginia WL and into Chicago (for the sake of argument). Wife hates Michigan, we're okay with NYC if we must, want to do: next David Stern (Columbia Law alum), federal clerkship, probably fed gov't job, okay with biglaw. Family in Chicago.
Actually, I'd just follow the latest USNWR on this one (HCCNMVN), except 1) drop Mich to the bottom because of wife, and 2) UVA and NU are somewhat interchangeable choices, depending on preference.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:54 pm

Holly, I'm not sure where you got the LRAP numbers. I got $6563 annually at NU, of which the PSFP would pay 50% (and 75% of the unpaid interest). That would be less than $3300, or $275 a month. Maybe I'm misusing the calculator.
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... /lrap.html

I think LLM and externship lean NU, location and money lean GULC, the rest are probably somewhat comparable. There will probably be more people doing your specialty in GULC, and many more organizations in DC. Probably close enough that it's just personal choice.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:01 pm

NayBoer wrote:Holly, I'm not sure where you got the LRAP numbers. I got $6563 annually at NU, of which the PSFP would pay 50% (and 75% of the unpaid interest). That would be less than $3300, or $275 a month. Maybe I'm misusing the calculator.

I think LLM and externship lean NU, location and money lean GULC, the rest are probably somewhat comparable. There will probably be more people doing your specialty in GULC, and many more organizations in DC. Probably close enough that it's just personal choice.
ITE with everyone and their mother who miss big law OCI gunning to PI, I'd take the smaller class size. And if the LLM has an externship as a requirement, I'm sure they work hard to place you. That may be a job opportunity after law school. Also there may be international jobs available in Chicago, with much less competition.

If I were you, I'd try to call or email someone in NU's LLM program and see how graduates of it are faring.

But maybe I'm just to big law biased, a field were NU dominates GULC. Maybe it is different in other fields.

I don't envy your choice.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:06 pm

D-hops wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Nobody in Ann Arbor actually calls it UM, right? For some reason I usually call it UMich (yoomish). Not sure where I picked that up.
Depends on the context. People say "U of M" most of the time, but you see and hear UM, Umich, M, Mich, all being used.
People definitely say UM. The snobbier people emphasis the "of" in U of M. I haven't heard M or Mich ever used, but I have heard Umich quite a lot, and its what I always said.

But no one ever, ever says "Big Blue."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Holly, I'm not sure where you got the LRAP numbers. I got $6563 annually at NU, of which the PSFP would pay 50% (and 75% of the unpaid interest). That would be less than $3300, or $275 a month. Maybe I'm misusing the calculator.

ITE with everyone and their mother who miss big law OCI gunning to PI, I'd take the smaller class size. And if the LLM has an externship as a requirement, I'm sure they work hard to place you. That may be a job opportunity after law school. Also there may be international jobs available in Chicago, with much less competition.

If I were you, I'd try to call or email someone in NU's LLM program and see how graduates of it are faring.

But maybe I'm just to big law biased, a field were NU dominates GULC. Maybe it is different in other fields.

I don't envy your choice.
I do!

black celebration

New

Post by black celebration » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:21 pm

Fucking confused and one week left to decide. Thanks for the opinions, BP.

Berkeley ($135,000) vs. Michigan (Darrow)

TOTAL COST DIFFERENCE OVER THREE YEARS = approx. $25,000

I live in the Bay Area and love it here. I'd rather not leave, but I was 100% ready to do so for Michigan until Berkeley gave me a scholarship last week. It was my original first choice, but the price difference is still very significant, and I have come to believe that Michigan is just as strong of a school. For life/happiness purposes, though, Boalt would certainly be a smoother transition (plus I love the no letter grades thing). Essentially I'm not *too* worried about the price difference, but it is still a factor.

Other than pursuing a CLERKSHIP, I don't know what the hell I will do after law school -- probably lots of things. I have been an entrepreneur my whole post-UG career and will likely want to work in a variety of fields (legal and otherwise) for the rest of my life. Interested in BigLaw I guess, but only for a few years at most. More interested in gov't/P.I./"all the other stuff".

As far as location, I would like to live/work abroad for some time, but ultimately I see myself in any of the following: Pacific Northwest, NorCal, Southeast. Possibly will want to move around, though. I want flexibility. Michigan champions the flexibility of its degree, but is there really going to be a difference between the two schools in terms of job prospects?

Oh, and I do not like Ann Arbor very much. I hate cold weather but was ready to do another 3 years in icy hell (I've lived extensively in the Northeast before).
Last edited by black celebration on Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:21 pm

The organizations on the list for the externship are so freaking cool:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/humanri ... ships.html

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:39 pm

black celebration wrote:Fucking confused and one week left to decide. Thanks for the opinions, BP.

Berkeley ($135,000) vs. Michigan (Darrow)

TOTAL COST DIFFERENCE OVER THREE YEARS = approx. $25,000

I live in the Bay Area and love it here. I'd rather not leave, but I was 100% ready to do so for Michigan until Berkeley gave me a scholarship last week. It was my original first choice, but the price difference is still very significant, and I have come to believe that Michigan is just as strong of a school. For life/happiness purposes, though, Boalt would certainly be a smoother transition (plus I love the no letter grades thing). Essentially I'm not *too* worried about the price difference, but it is still a factor.

Other than pursuing a CLERKSHIP, I don't know what the hell I will do after law school -- probably lots of things. I have been an entrepreneur my whole post-UG career and will likely want to work in a variety of fields (legal and otherwise) for the rest of my life. Interested in BigLaw I guess, but only for a few years at most. More interested in gov't/P.I./"all the other stuff".

As far as location, I would like to live/work abroad for some time, but ultimately I see myself in any of the following: Pacific Northwest, NorCal, Southeast. Possibly will want to move around, though. I want flexibility. Michigan champions the flexibility of its degree, but is there really going to be a difference between the two schools in terms of job prospects?

Oh, and I do not like Ann Arbor very much. I hate cold weather but was ready to do another 3 years in icy hell (I've lived extensively in the Northeast before).
Cost difference is not that substantial, and it sounds like you'd be a lot happier at Berkeley.

Go to Berkeley and enjoy!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”