BP decides where you go to law school Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ron1321

New

Re: BP decides where you go to law school

Post by ron1321 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:53 pm

Emory
ND
UK + instate + $$

Shooting for big law in lexington ky (yes there are a few "big law" firms there). Went to undergrad at UK and would like a change of scenery. Whats my best option? Thanks for your help

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:07 pm

ron1321 wrote:Emory
ND
UK + instate + $$

Shooting for big law in lexington ky (yes there are a few "big law" firms there). Went to undergrad at UK and would like a change of scenery. Whats my best option? Thanks for your help
I wanted a change of scenery from my undergrad too. Guess what? Your scenery is gonna change from hot girls to appellate opinions. Take the money.

Grad09

New

Post by Grad09 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Here goes:

Admits:
UCLA (12k/yr)
Pepperdine (30k/yr)
Boston U (sticker)
Boston College (sticker)
Hastings(sticker)
Cornell (sticker) (hypo- haven't been accepted yet but I have a good feeling)

Waitlists:

USC
UVA

I just thought I would throw my WLs into the mix, how would they play out in making a decision?

Notes:
Start out BigLaw for a few years, then move to mid-size or small firm, eventually opening my own practice
Want to practice in SF Bay area or LA as a second choice
I am kind of debt-adverse

Thanks!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Grad09 wrote:Here goes:

Admits:
UCLA (12k/yr)
Pepperdine (30k/yr)
Boston U (sticker)
Boston College (sticker)
Hastings(sticker)

Waitlists:

USC
UVA

I just thought I would throw my WLs into the mix, how would they play out in making a decision?

Notes:
Start out BigLaw for a few years, then move to mid-size or small firm, eventually opening my own practice

Thanks!
UCLA unless you get UVA, possibly even if you get UVA.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:32 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Grad09 wrote:Here goes:

Admits:
UCLA (12k/yr)
Pepperdine (30k/yr)
Boston U (sticker)
Boston College (sticker)
Hastings(sticker)

Waitlists:

USC
UVA

Notes:

Thanks!
UCLA unless you get UVA, possibly even if you get UVA.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:26 am

Dear BP,

(Let me preface this by saying I'm on a WL at the higher ranked school so this may or may not even be an option .. I'm pretty much trying to gauge how hard I should try to get off of it.)

Vandy @ sticker (approx 200k) or UGA in-state (approx 85k). I'd like to be in the SE (DC through ATL) and am looking primarily at some type of corporate/transactional work. I know I know this seems like a no brainer but I'm also fairly debt averse; is it really worth +100k??

Thanks,
<3 Ms.Vik

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:34 am

jinkz wrote:ive researched it heavily. their req's for instate tuition are very strict...but not impossible if you plan everything out in advance. im pretty confident that atleast for my 3rd year id have in state tuition. assuming i get it my 2nd year, UMD would only be an extra 7k, which wouldnt be that bad at all. ive heard that even with an UMD degree, its really hard to compete for jobs in DC/Baltimore, does anyone know anything about that and the big firms in the area wont take fresh UMD grads...does anyone know anything about that?

what about the job market in DC/Baltimore vs NY/northern Jersey...would you say theres a big difference?
I'd say that yes, there's a big difference, but Seton Hall is more Jersey than NYC, IIRC. Check their ABA stats and see where people place and/or take the bar, but here's from the TLS profile:
Roughly 70% of 2006 graduates ended up practicing in New Jersey.
It's VERY regional. Not that it's a problem necessarily, but you would REALLY have to like Jersey. MD is a little the same, with Baltimore being the primary market, but DC for Maryland is more likely than NYC for Seton Hall. Have you had any contact with the Maryland admissions office regarding aid? You should flat-out ask for it. Do it in a respectful manner, but tell the exactly what your other options are, and that if they could give you in-state all three years you would go there. I negotiated a higher scholarship - it's not all that hard. If the school accepts you, they want you to go.

1L2b

New

Post by 1L2b » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:05 pm

northeastern u or umiami? better salary prospects for umiami IN miami, but prefer boston the city over miami. what are my job prospects in northeastern?

which should i choose? thanks in advance!!!!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:44 pm

1L2b wrote:northeastern u or umiami? better salary prospects for umiami IN miami, but prefer boston the city over miami. what are my job prospects in northeastern?

a job

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

1L2b

New

Post by 1L2b » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:49 pm

IAFG wrote:
1L2b wrote:northeastern u or umiami? better salary prospects for umiami IN miami, but prefer boston the city over miami. what are my job prospects in northeastern?

a job
not an option right now. sarcasm aside, i'd like a real answer. play nice.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:51 pm

1L2b wrote:
IAFG wrote:

a job
Choose Miami, IMO.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:53 pm

1L2b wrote:
IAFG wrote:

a job
TBF she is playing nice. Neither of these schools offer very good job prospects and both are horribly overpriced.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:55 pm

traehekat wrote:
1L2b wrote:
IAFG wrote:

a job
Choose Miami, IMO.
Yes. Boston is one of the more saturated legal markets in the country with an unbelievable concentration of great, good and ok law schools. Miami is the opposite.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:56 pm

missvik218 wrote:Dear BP,

(Let me preface this by saying I'm on a WL at the higher ranked school so this may or may not even be an option .. I'm pretty much trying to gauge how hard I should try to get off of it.)

Vandy @ sticker (approx 200k) or UGA in-state (approx 85k). I'd like to be in the SE (DC through ATL) and am looking primarily at some type of corporate/transactional work. I know I know this seems like a no brainer but I'm also fairly debt averse; is it really worth +100k??

Thanks,
<3 Ms.Vik
Vandy punches above its weight.
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

#12 VULS 47.1%
#44 UGA 15.8%

Also places much more broadly than UGA.

1L2b

New

Post by 1L2b » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:03 pm

danquayle wrote:
traehekat wrote:

Choose Miami, IMO.
Yes. Boston is one of the more saturated legal markets in the country with an unbelievable concentration of great, good and ok law schools. Miami is the opposite.
Thanks for the answers traehekat and danquayle! Does the regional rep. and subsequent high salary potential in Miami make up for Miami culture as opposed to living in Boston which is an amazing city? BTW if you've never lived in Miami or been to Miami for long streches, don't answer. Vacationing in Miami is MUCH different than living here. A lot of the people are...special. Not my kind of city, anyway...

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:14 pm

1L2b wrote:Thanks for the answers traehekat and danquayle! Does the regional rep. and subsequent high salary potential in Miami make up for Miami culture as opposed to living in Boston which is an amazing city? BTW if you've never lived in Miami or been to Miami for long streches, don't answer. Vacationing in Miami is MUCH different than living here. A lot of the people are...special. Not my kind of city, anyway...
If you don't want to live in Miami, don't go there.

If you want to work in Boston, Northeastern is limiting. BU and BC have a strong lead on jobs there.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:20 pm

1L2b wrote: Thanks for the answers traehekat and danquayle! Does the regional rep. and subsequent high salary potential in Miami make up for Miami culture as opposed to living in Boston which is an amazing city? BTW if you've never lived in Miami or been to Miami for long streches, don't answer. Vacationing in Miami is MUCH different than living here. A lot of the people are...special. Not my kind of city, anyway...
You could always move a little north after school ... Ft. Lauderdale up through West Palm are nicer I'd say. Nobody will be forcing you to live in the Gables/SOBE/Brickell/where ever after graduation.

Anecdotal info: NE may not have the best prospects in Boston but it's not like UM is slaying it in Miami either. Three of my closest girl friends are graduating from UM this year, all at least top 1/2 of the class, none have jobs lined up FWIW.

Edit: NayBoer, thanks for paying attention to my post. I'm leaning towards really going for it, but the price tag is just so hard for me to stomach.
Last edited by missvik218 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:24 pm

missvik218 wrote:Anecdotal info: NE may not have the best prospects in Boston but it's not like UM is slaying it in Miami either. Three of my closest girl friends are graduating from UM this year, all at least top 1/2 of the class, none have jobs lined up FWIW.
This is why IAFG suggested going to neither. People often forget that not going to law school is always an option.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:25 pm

NayBoer wrote:
1L2b wrote:Thanks for the answers traehekat and danquayle! Does the regional rep. and subsequent high salary potential in Miami make up for Miami culture as opposed to living in Boston which is an amazing city? BTW if you've never lived in Miami or been to Miami for long streches, don't answer. Vacationing in Miami is MUCH different than living here. A lot of the people are...special. Not my kind of city, anyway...

If you want to work in Boston, Northeastern is limiting. BU and BC have a strong lead on jobs there.
That's a question only you can answer. Plenty of people would prefer Miami over Boston. I can't tell you whether you would. There's no way I can gauge your relative disdain for Miami and compare that with my assessment of your love of (potential) money. Like NayBoar said, if you know you don't like Miami as a city, no way in hell you should go to Miami the school.

I also wouldn't really use the term high salary potential. The better determinant is employment potential. Whatever high salary potential there is at Miami, I wouldn't bank on it. Certainly not so at Northeastern.

1L2b

New

Post by 1L2b » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:25 pm

danquayle wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

That's a question only you can answer. Plenty of people would prefer Miami over Boston. I can't tell you whether you would. There's no way I can gauge your relative disdain for Miami and compare that with my assessment of your love of (potential) money. Like NayBoar said, if you know you don't like Miami as a city, no way in hell you should go to Miami the school.

I also wouldn't really use the term high salary potential. The better determinant is employment potential. Whatever high salary potential there is at Miami, I wouldn't bank on it. Certainly not so at Northeastern.
Yah, well it's a gamble but Miami grads do well in Miami. That is a given and I guess you'd just have to live here to know that because otherwise you would just go by rankings which are ridiculous where Miami grads (60ish, right?) place better than UF (ranked in the 40's, methinks?). It's not a matter of getting a job. You can get a really amazing one if you do well enough (obviously--and no offense here--if you're doing badly, job prospects are grim anywhere). I don't know as much about Northeastern and I guess it just depends on who you ask. I've gotten a lot of unbiased opinions from people unassociated with the school but within the law profession in Boston and they give a range of answers.....

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:02 pm

1L2b wrote:Yah, well it's a gamble but Miami grads do well in Miami. That is a given and I guess you'd just have to live here to know that because otherwise you would just go by rankings which are ridiculous where Miami grads (60ish, right?) place better than UF (ranked in the 40's, methinks?).
I don't think generally speaking this is true.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:14 pm

mistergoft wrote:
1L2b wrote:Yah, well it's a gamble but Miami grads do well in Miami. That is a given and I guess you'd just have to live here to know that because otherwise you would just go by rankings which are ridiculous where Miami grads (60ish, right?) place better than UF (ranked in the 40's, methinks?).
Relative placement power is almost impossible to distinguish when its close. It really comes down to interviewing at that point.

However, the sheer volume of Miami grads as opposed to Florida grads in big Miami firms indicates that there is a pretty well-worn path there.

Miami is the gem of T2 in my opinion. I very nearly took a full ride to there. But for the love of god don't pay sticker.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:17 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
Relative placement power is almost impossible to distinguish when its close. It really comes down to interviewing at that point.

However, the sheer volume of Miami grads as opposed to Florida grads in big Miami firms indicates that there is a pretty well-worn path there.

Miami is the gem of T2 in my opinion. I very nearly took a full ride to there. But for the love of god don't pay sticker.
I don't think I could argue with someone taking a full ride, although I'd think twice about taking that if I had a good amount of $$ here at UF, especially considering the significantly lower COL in Gainesville.

iheartucla

New

Post by iheartucla » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:20 pm

Indiana, Bloomington- full ride
WUSTL- $11,000/year

Loved St. Louis, not sure about Bloomington- nearest large city an hour away

Most concerned about career prospects

1L2b

New

Post by 1L2b » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:24 pm

mistergoft wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

I don't think I could argue with someone taking a full ride, although I'd think twice about taking that if I had a good amount of $$ here at UF, especially considering

If money is not an issue, imho from tons of experience in the city and with people in really influential law firms in the area, Miami >>> UF. Anyway, if you're a good student and the difference for hiring potential in big law firms in the area is marginal between the two, it really comes down to this: Would you rather spend 3 yrs in Miami or 3 yrs in Gainsville. Again, this is why I didn't want to get into this discussion because for me, going to Miami over UF is a no-brainer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”