In this economy, why wouldn't you go to a lower T14 for $$$?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dontworry
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:13 am

Re: In this economy, why wouldn't you go to a lower T14 for $$$?

Postby dontworry » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:26 am

I got into Harvard and had full rides to UVA, Michigan, Duke, and the Levy at Penn (a 2/3 ride, basically - it was the highest scholarship they gave at the time).

I took one of the full rides (the specific school doesn't matter); three of my good friends from undergrad are at Harvard Law now. I was interviewing at all of the same firms as they were, and I got similar offers as they did.

I had multiple offers from V10 firms - and in multiple East Coast markets. Everyone else who I know who is a current 2L or 3L on a full ride at my law school is also working in Big Law who wanted to do that coming in (of course some people come in with a goal of nonprofit work or returning to their home state, etc.). I would dare to guess that it is similar for the named scholarship students at each of these schools. The admissions counselors at the top schools in the country know what they are doing with handing out full rides. I am not sure, however, that the reasoning works with lesser scholarships because they are so plentiful.

westbayguy
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: In this economy, why wouldn't you go to a lower T14 for $$$?

Postby westbayguy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:59 pm

A big assumption in any analysis- that you will be median or above at HLS. YLS, etc- or that you will be top 25% at NU or other T14 school.

If you make either, life is good. But the lesson from this board should be there are no "sure things" at any school.

Second, LRAPs should be considered, but there is always federal IBR for those who do not qualify for LRAPS.

Third, careeer goals are really important. Clerking, Government, Academia, NGO/NonProfit is MUCH easier from HYS than it is from almost any other school. Easier, but it is not an exclusive option. If you want a regional practice, then Texas, Boalt, NU or other T14 schools may make sense FOR YOU. But in the end- your class rank will likely determine more about your opportunities than the school you went to.

Whoever said TLS is biased in its comments and analysis is right on. There is a lot more to making this decision than most are willing to acknowledge.

I will say non HYS likely will require top 15% or higher whereas median and above at H likely will get you what you want. Opportunities for Y and S probably go deeper into their classes just because their class sizes are 1/2 of H.

Alot to think about

User avatar
Pato_09
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Re: In this economy, why wouldn't you go to a lower T14 for $$$?

Postby Pato_09 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:07 pm

dontworry wrote:I got into Harvard and had full rides to UVA, Michigan, Duke, and the Levy at Penn (a 2/3 ride, basically - it was the highest scholarship they gave at the time).

I took one of the full rides (the specific school doesn't matter); three of my good friends from undergrad are at Harvard Law now. I was interviewing at all of the same firms as they were, and I got similar offers as they did.

I had multiple offers from V10 firms - and in multiple East Coast markets. Everyone else who I know who is a current 2L or 3L on a full ride at my law school is also working in Big Law who wanted to do that coming in (of course some people come in with a goal of nonprofit work or returning to their home state, etc.). I would dare to guess that it is similar for the named scholarship students at each of these schools. The admissions counselors at the top schools in the country know what they are doing with handing out full rides. I am not sure, however, that the reasoning works with lesser scholarships because they are so plentiful.



Agree. I am a 2L in a low top 14 law school, and everyone (except 1 person) I have asked about their summer search has a big law offer.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: In this economy, why wouldn't you go to a lower T14 for $$$?

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Pato_09 wrote:
dontworry wrote:I got into Harvard and had full rides to UVA, Michigan, Duke, and the Levy at Penn (a 2/3 ride, basically - it was the highest scholarship they gave at the time).

I took one of the full rides (the specific school doesn't matter); three of my good friends from undergrad are at Harvard Law now. I was interviewing at all of the same firms as they were, and I got similar offers as they did.

I had multiple offers from V10 firms - and in multiple East Coast markets. Everyone else who I know who is a current 2L or 3L on a full ride at my law school is also working in Big Law who wanted to do that coming in (of course some people come in with a goal of nonprofit work or returning to their home state, etc.). I would dare to guess that it is similar for the named scholarship students at each of these schools. The admissions counselors at the top schools in the country know what they are doing with handing out full rides. I am not sure, however, that the reasoning works with lesser scholarships because they are so plentiful.



Agree. I am a 2L in a low top 14 law school, and everyone (except 1 person) I have asked about their summer search has a big law offer.


Cool sample bro

dontworry wrote:I got into Harvard and had full rides to UVA, Michigan, Duke, and the Levy at Penn (a 2/3 ride, basically - it was the highest scholarship they gave at the time).

I took one of the full rides (the specific school doesn't matter); three of my good friends from undergrad are at Harvard Law now. I was interviewing at all of the same firms as they were, and I got similar offers as they did.

I had multiple offers from V10 firms - and in multiple East Coast markets. Everyone else who I know who is a current 2L or 3L on a full ride at my law school is also working in Big Law who wanted to do that coming in (of course some people come in with a goal of nonprofit work or returning to their home state, etc.). I would dare to guess that it is similar for the named scholarship students at each of these schools. The admissions counselors at the top schools in the country know what they are doing with handing out full rides. I am not sure, however, that the reasoning works with lesser scholarships because they are so plentiful.


Cool thread bump bro

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: In this economy, why wouldn't you go to a lower T14 for $$$?

Postby rayiner » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:31 pm

I agree with DF. At HYS the risk of not getting a big law job is minimal, so the expected return offsets the $150k or so you might get in scholarship. At the T14 outside of CCN, you have probably just over even odds of getting big law. In fact I think it might actually have gotten worse for C/O 2013, at least for those in the bottom half. That said, I know enough unemployed below-median folks at CCN that I don't think I'd turn down $100k at the rest of the T14 for the somewhat increased odds.

Also, consider what happens if you do well. Top 5-10% at HYS will get you looks from any firm in the country, and will give you a shot at pretty much any clerkship. Top 5% at the rest of the T14 will still be an uphill battle for places like WLRK, W&C, Munger, etc. There are regional exceptions to the rule, of course, (UVA for U&C, NYU for WLRK), but HYS can still send people to places that look at only the top of the top of the heap.
Last edited by rayiner on Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: In this economy, why wouldn't you go to a lower T14 for $$$?

Postby minnbills » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:38 pm

This really depends on what your goals are. If biglaw is your focus (and this seems to be the case for almost everyone on TLS) then going to the highest ranked school within the T14 is probably TCR, assuming you're looking at a T6 vs. T14 choice.

On the other hand, if you want to do something like family law, personal injury etc. that usually entails a much lower starting salary, you have to temper that debt profile or risk financial ruin if your career doesn't pan out.

Of course, this scenario is only applicable to a really small group of people anyways...

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15515
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: In this economy, why wouldn't you go to a lower T14 for $$$?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:07 pm

In this economy, why wouldn't you go to a lower T14 for $$$?


Because you are a splitter deciding between 84K from WUSTL or sticker at NYU.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: In this economy, why wouldn't you go to a lower T14 for $$$?

Postby beachbum » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:47 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
In this economy, why wouldn't you go to a lower T14 for $$$?


Because you are a splitter deciding between 84K from WUSTL or sticker at NYU.


I still don't see the problem.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: In this economy, why wouldn't you go to a lower T14 for $$$?

Postby romothesavior » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:51 pm

beachbum wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
In this economy, why wouldn't you go to a lower T14 for $$$?


Because you are a splitter deciding between 84K from WUSTL or sticker at NYU.


I still don't see the problem.

Neither do I.

P.S. This thread is a year and a half old.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15515
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: In this economy, why wouldn't you go to a lower T14 for $$$?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:58 pm

beachbum wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
In this economy, why wouldn't you go to a lower T14 for $$$?


Because you are a splitter deciding between 84K from WUSTL or sticker at NYU.


I still don't see the problem.


Lower T14 with big cash isn't always an option for CCN admits.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: In this economy, why wouldn't you go to a lower T14 for $$$?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:25 pm

dontworry wrote:tl;dr

Thread necromancy on first post = ban.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: maddawg2020, Mhr and 3 guests