Columbia vs NYU ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one please?

NYU ($15k/year)
75%
Columbia (sticker)
25%

Total votes: 44

humdrum

Columbia vs NYU ($)

Postby humdrum » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:25 pm

Please bear with me as I know this debate has been raised countless times.

NYU is offering me $15k/yr.
Columbia = $0 (even after I tried to negotiate :( )

I really don't have a preferred field of study, although would be interested in doing a clerkship and/or government work post-graduation. I've lived in NYC for ~6 years now and am located much closer to NYU than Columbia (also like the vibe downtown better). However, I went to NYU for undergrad and maybe it's time to shake things up a little?

After going to both ASWs, I felt somewhat more comfortable at NYU, but I think that may be bc I'm so used to it. Also, I went to CLS first and was more nervous/didn't know what to expect or ask about. I really want law school to open up a new set of opportunities for me, whether that be in the non-profit or private sector, but I'm not all about the $$$. I would rather work for the DoJ than in biglaw.

Any and all opinions are appreciated!

Z3RO

Re: Columbia vs NYU ($)

Postby Z3RO » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Columbia's nice, but so's 45k. I'd stick with NYU.

humdrum

Postby humdrum » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:33 pm

that's it, huh? follow the money? my parents are threatening to disown me because they think Columbia's name is much more prestigious (outside of law firms), but i guess they're not the ones who'll be paying for it.

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:43 pm

It is a tough call. Sucks that Columbia wouldn't throw you a bone. Go with your gut if you have a gut feeling. However, I think all the logic in the world is saying NYU. I am choosing Columbia with them giving me slightly less money but pretty close. And I prefer the campus and quiter area of MH than the Village (I would have way too much fun in the Village). But I was definitely extremely impressed by NYU when I visited and if the money was this lopsided I think I would have gone with NYU. Screw what your parents think and everyone else who doesn't know what they are talking about. Both schools are amazing. Too me it sounds like NYU is the right choice for you based on your post, unless you are completely against going to the same school for another 3 years or there is some opportunity at Columbia that is not an option at NYU

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Other than lay prestige, which you touched on, what about Columbia appeals to you? From your comments, I don't see any other clear reason to prefer Columbia over NYU, let alone prefer it by $45k.

I'm in a similar situation in that I recently chose NYU at $45k (or $37.5, though I expect to do PI summers...) over Columbia at $30k (or $20k, since it had the same PI/firm stipulation). So I'll share a few of my thoughts on the decision... take it for what it's worth, from a guy on the internet.

I ultimately decided that NYU "felt" better to me for a few reasons. For one, I felt a real affinity for the students I met -- they felt much more familiar to me, speaking as a post-liberal-arts-college Brooklyn denizen. (This may be a good or bad thing to you, and on paper sounds almost like a bad thing to me -- but I mean it in a good way!) They seemed more engaged in campus groups, more excited about the variety of opportunities for summer internships and the like, and basically a lot happier. At Columbia, the students I spoke to seemed more listless about their experience, and their future prospects. Granted this is a really limited sample, and may have been influenced by things like, say, it was 20 degrees warmer when I went to NYU, but it confirmed suspicions I already had.

Also, a top priority for me in choosing a school is going a place where I won't get sucked into the biglaw-or-bust mentality. I may end up doing a big firm for a year or two, because I like money as much as the next guy, but want to be in an environment where students are encouraged to explore other options, and where you won't be an outcast for thinking about a less prestigious career. I got a real sense that NYU is committed to the public interest stuff, and for placing students in a wide variety of jobs. Certainly the opportunities exist at Columbia, but it seems as an institution the focus is on biglaw, with basically lip service paid to PI. And knowing myself, and how hard it has been for me just to turn down an Ivy League name-brand school, I think I'm fairly susceptible to prestige-whoring and groupthink. So I may as well join a group that thinks more like I want to.

Just my two cents.

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:18 pm

It sounds like the OP is a little more excited about going to school downtown, is more comfortable at NYU and is getting extra money. Normally, I think less than half tuition is fairly negligible, but where you have other factors that lean NYU, I think you should take the money and run.

With that said, what is up with all these posters recently (last two days or so) who keep talking about CLS students not being happy and being totally corporate. I say this a lot, but how much do we have to do to shake these stereotypes :lol: Serisouly, I literally could not be happier about my law school experience. I've really enjoyed every year, was involved in a lot of off-campus/pro-bono opportunities, and I'm headed off to my first choice public interest job next year. Also, (other than my career choice) I don't feel like I'm in the minority. And yet, I keep reading about all these corporatey unhappy CLS students. It's just frustrating.

P.S. Please don't refer to public interest employment as "less prestigious." To 99 % of people, it's not. /rant

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:23 pm

chris0805 wrote:It sounds like the OP is a little more excited about going to school downtown, is more comfortable at NYU and is getting extra money. Normally, I think less than half tuition is fairly negligible, but where you have other factors that lean NYU, I think you should take the money and run.

With that said, what is up with all these posters recently (last two days or so) who keep talking about CLS students not being happy and being totally corporate. I say this a lot, but how much do we have to do to shake these stereotypes :lol: Serisouly, I literally could not be happier about my law school experience. I've really enjoyed every year, was involved in a lot of off-campus/pro-bono opportunities, and I'm headed off to my first choice public interest job next year. Also, (other than my career choice) I don't feel like I'm in the minority. And yet, I keep reading about all these corporatey unhappy CLS students. It's just frustrating.

P.S. Please don't refer to public interest employment as "less prestigious." To 99 % of people, it's not. /rant

There's an obvious explanation, but you were probably implying this anyway :lol:

OP -You should go with your gut/1st instinct. Plus $45,000 is a non-negligible difference. I'm not sure if I've ever met anyone with NYU-NYULaw on his/her resume though...

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:12 pm

chris0805 wrote:P.S. Please don't refer to public interest employment as "less prestigious." To 99 % of people, it's not. /rant

Is this true of your experience at CLS? If so, I'm genuinely happy to hear it! But a bit surprised.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:20 am

Just to share my background, I'm in a similar spot.

Except I chose Columbia and the difference is $50k at CLS versus $75k at NYU

I ran a poll that got hundreds of votes and it was almost exactly 50/50 for NYU/CLS with that monetary difference.

$45k difference is a lot more and since you are comfortable with NYU, I'd say go for it. See you in NYC!

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:59 am

Unemployed wrote:
There's an obvious explanation, but you were probably implying this anyway :lol:

OP -You should go with your gut/1st instinct. Plus $45,000 is a non-negligible difference. I'm not sure if I've ever met anyone with NYU-NYULaw on his/her resume though...

:lol: No, I actually wasn't thinking of that, though your post was definitely lulz-worthy :D . I just feel like every other ASDs in the past, people are like OMG, CLS actually isn't this terrible place everyone stereotypes it to be, but after this last one, more than a couple of posters have said things along the lines of, I liked NYU because CLS was all the old stereotypes people told me it would be. Just frustrating.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”