Change of Rankings and Admissions Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Xnegd

Bronze

Change of Rankings and Admissions

Post by Xnegd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:55 am

So all five schools that I was exceptionally interested in dropped in rank, some significantly, some not.

Tulane, American, Hastings, Washington, & Indiana (Bloomington).

I don't care about rank necessarily, or at least I try not to (though I am concerned about Tulane and American becoming 2nd Tier), I'm just wondering how that will affect the 2011 cycle due to how they see it.

Ranking and selectivity go hand in hand. Does this mean that it's going to be much harder to apply to any of these schools in October, because they'll be tougher on admissions so as to raise their rank? Or, is it on the contrary, and this is this wonderful for me, because it means they'll be more lenient and I'll have a higher chance, if only slightly, at being admitted to my first choice schools?

Lets assume I've already given myself the advice to: "just not worry about it, and keep working on that LSAT." I am trying, and I'm just curious how this will effect things.

Captain Jack

New

Re: Change of Rankings and Admissions

Post by Captain Jack » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:41 am

First off, I believe that it's best to use the USNWR as a guide and not a determinant of where to apply (and matriculate) into law school.

With that said, the law school admissions game is too much of a gamble for anybody who has already been admitted to schools to decline for a "better" chance at gaining admission for the following cycle. Each passing cycle sees more and more competitive students and schools will certainly become more selective. This is just the nature of the beast. And the fact that those aforementioned schools all dropped a few places in the rankings (as did A LOT of other schools---"it's the economy, stoopied") will certainly make them want to appear more selective and employ sketchy practices (ie-Yield Protection--see American University). I would not be surprised if at least 3 of the 5 schools become significantly more selective and see an improvement (even if marginal) in the rankings. I believe that since you have been admitted to 5 good, solid schools, you should attend one of them. Plus, it's not worth the gamble of spending months practicing and studying the LSAT just to have a shot at improving significantly (or even marginally), especially when improvement is not guaranteed. Plus, I don't think that law schools appreciate students who continue to re-take the LSAT.

In your case, I would choose the school that:
A) is in the region where you would like to practice law
B) offers you the most money
C) highest ranked

Quite a beautiful dilemma you've got here! Good luck in your endeavors and I hope everything works out for you!

Xnegd

Bronze

Post by Xnegd » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:53 am

Thanks Captain!

I'm actually not applying till next year. I was asking this question because the five school I mentioned were my top choices and the only schools I wanted to apply to, (seeing as it cost so much per a school), and I was wondering if they were going to be a heck of a lot more selective next year when I apply, and should thus start heavily researching some back-ups.

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:07 pm

Edit: RC Fail on my part. I didn't see the last line of your OP. Sorry.

Captain Jack

New

Post by Captain Jack » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:12 pm

Xnegd wrote:Thanks Captain!

I'm actually not applying till next year. I was asking this question because the five school I mentioned were my top choices and the only schools I wanted to apply to, (seeing as it cost so much per a school), and I was wondering if they were going to be a heck of a lot more selective next year when I apply, and should thus start heavily researching some back-ups.

Oh! Well, with that said, study/practice, Study/Practice, STUDY/PRACTICE for the LSAT. All ranked schools will be more competitive come next cycle but scoring a high LSAT will be your golden ticket! But it would be to your advantage to throw in a few more backup schools!

Xnegd

Bronze

Post by Xnegd » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:19 pm

Thanks all! :-)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”