Georgia St. (PT) vs. Miami (FT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Georgia State (PT) in-state tuition
80%
Miami (FT) sticker
20%

Total votes: 5

and1fh2

Georgia St. (PT) vs. Miami (FT)

Postby and1fh2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 am

Hey guys I really need some input regarding this decision so any feedback or information is really appreciated.

I currently live in Georgia and have my whole life, so in state tuition at GSU is only about 11k/year as opposed to Miami's sticker price at around 38k/year. Problem is that I was only accepted into the part-time evening program at GSU even though full-time day is much more of my preference. I really am not sure where exactly I want to live after I graduate, and I completely understand how regional both schools are. I would be content in both cities, but I do have a little itch to get out of Georgia and try something new. The city of Miami is more appealing to me as I imagine it would be to most people, but I'm not sure that it is quite worth all the extra money. Fortunately my parents are willing to help me out significantly with paying for tuition, so I wont be anywhere near the debt I would normally be in, however I obviously still want to make a fiscally responsible decision. How do you think the career prospects stack up? Any advantages or disadvantages that anyone can weigh in on would be a great help.

doinmybest

Re: Georgia St. (PT) vs. Miami (FT)

Postby doinmybest » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:55 am

and1fh2 wrote:Hey guys I really need some input regarding this decision so any feedback or information is really appreciated.

I currently live in Georgia and have my whole life, so in state tuition at GSU is only about 11k/year as opposed to Miami's sticker price at around 38k/year. Problem is that I was only accepted into the part-time evening program at GSU even though full-time day is much more of my preference. I really am not sure where exactly I want to live after I graduate, and I completely understand how regional both schools are. I would be content in both cities, but I do have a little itch to get out of Georgia and try something new. The city of Miami is more appealing to me as I imagine it would be to most people, but I'm not sure that it is quite worth all the extra money. Fortunately my parents are willing to help me out significantly with paying for tuition, so I wont be anywhere near the debt I would normally be in, however I obviously still want to make a fiscally responsible decision. How do you think the career prospects stack up? Any advantages or disadvantages that anyone can weigh in on would be a great help.

I've lived in both. Miami for 14 years and Atlanta (and it's surrounding areas) for 10 years. You are aware of the cultural differences right? Have you visited both? What did you think of your visits? What was appealing about Miami?

Also I have 2 people in my office attending GA State part-time right now. I thought I heard one of them say that it wasn't too difficult to transfer into full-time after a little while. Have you looked into that? GA State is a T2 that places pretty well in its own region.

deadpanic

Re: Georgia St. (PT) vs. Miami (FT)

Postby deadpanic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:32 am

and1fh2 wrote:I currently live in Georgia and have my whole life, so in state tuition at GSU is only about 11k/year as opposed to Miami's sticker price at around 38k/year.

I stopped reading right there.

Don't pay sticker at the U. You will be drowning in debt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”