Give it up? Or just give it a year?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Should I reapply?

No, stupid. You got it good, so go with it!
86%
Ya, but you're probably out at your schools.
14%
Ya, and you'll be admitted to at least one of those schools.
No votes

Total votes: 7

pdx1

Give it up? Or just give it a year?

Postby pdx1 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:30 am

So heres the story - I'm accepted and deposited at a school ranked in the low 20's with a 1/3 tuition renewable scholarship. I like the school and the program, its just not anywhere near where I want to practice/live, and I'm starting to think its a safer bet to reapply and see if I can do better. Given the economy and the fact that I'll have to borrow the entire cost, I'm nervous about job prospects and want to make sure I'm setting myself up as well as I can. All my friends/family cannot fathom why I would want to wait a year and reapply, as I'm already in at a "good school". And so I'm turning to the internets looking for some input!

My numbers are - 3.2 LSDAS GPA in accounting from a mostly unheard of school, and a 169 LSAT. I've got 3 years WE as a financial analyst and a year as an intern for an NGO overseas. I know everyone says they have great softs, but I've been on here a while and mine are pretty good, or at a minimum at least explain why my GPA is on the low side.

I'm not worried about the time lost, or finding something to do for the coming year. I mostly just want some opinions about the wisdom of reapplying. I didnt aim high enough last cycle, and was accepted at my top schools, except for a WL at UVA. Right now I'm thinking of applying to Michigan, Virginia, Berkeley, Northwestern, Cornell, USC, UCLA (in state), Vanderbilt and Texas in the fall.

MURPH

Re: Give it up? Or just give it a year?

Postby MURPH » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:47 am

First, retake the LSAT and study harder this time. Even if you gave it your all, just give it again in June. Then decide.
If you score better then reapply or ask for a full scholarship or let UVA know.

If you took it 3 times and can't get a school to sponsor you for a fourth try then stick with what you got.

joonhp

Postby joonhp » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:50 am

i agree with murph...if you can up your score a few more points..i would say you have a really good shot ED at NW, michigan, penn...forget berkeley.

pdx1

Postby pdx1 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:56 am

Ya, I figured thats about the only thing I can do to significantly up my chances at this point. I've only taken the test twice, but once was when I was in UG so its expired and long gone. I was hoping to avoid re-doing the test. I think I could score a couple points better, but I'm already at a 169 and I'm afraid I could just as easily end up the same or worse.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:44 am

If you retake in June and score worse you will be in the exact same place you are today. Put your deposit down at your low 20s school and stay on the waitlist at UVA. Nothing changes. Your fear of doing worse is illogical.
Do a single point better, or maybe even three points better and the world is a totally different place.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:40 am

Is he hot?

Have you done it before?

Do you love him?

There are a lot of questions you have to ask yourself before you decide if you should, as the title says, "give it up."

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:56 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Is he hot?

Have you done it before?

Do you love him?

There are a lot of questions you have to ask yourself before you decide if you should, as the title says, "give it up."

Just give it up and tell us how it went.

(Sorry OP, I just had some financial aid issues).

To contribute to the answering of you question. I believe you should really weight your options and only commit if it feels right. I am attending a Law School ranked high in the 20's and I couldn't be happier about it. The financial opportunity and the location are godsend. I am waitlisted in Chicago and would not attend even if a spot opens there for me. As I said, sometimes your situation suits you perfectly and the feel is right.

Do not rush your decision ,last ear I got into NYU's LLM program with a small scholly. Today I thank God I couldn't find a loan for the rest of tuition.

Cheers and good luck.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”